Access Music Virus Classic
Submitted: May 31st, 2006
by FirstGarden
This was the WHOLE reason I bought this. I am an analog nut. I didn't buy this for dance, trance & such. The unit is largely geared for this, and the onboard sounds loaded in are obviously catering to this crowd. Most of them are arpeggiated & delayed, providing a sense of frill & fancy for those who lack musicianship and can't play. To be fair, it does seem to expand the possibilities in the world of arpeggiation quite well. A lot of imagination went into it, but for straight musicianship, such artifice has its real limitations. You can't fault the 24 bit sound quality. As for analog sound with digital filters, these are unlikely bedfellows. Access did a bang up job trying to emulate analog here, but before too long, the stiff digital feel comes through. Out of hundreds of sounds, I use about a half dozen consistently. Awesome brass swells, some nice potential in the low end - like deep, analoggy, low string swells, good pads (if a bit thin) which I use to enhance my D50 and VK8M organs. Rather nice percussive-acoustic sounds , but too digital for almost all applications so far. As for real instrument sounds, the Virus was not made for that. There's lots of "meat & potatoes" synths out there for all-around sounds. But for the best, DEDICATED sounds in a given category, you need to hand-pick synths & manufacturers (i.e. for a good B3 you need a good, dedicated B3 clone, not some card or exp board with its R&D and memory stretched all over the planet).
Seems solid as a rock.
General Comments
I put it in the paper twice. I couldn't give it away. Don't buy Virus unless you really want it. Try playing on one first - for a very long time.