Access Music Virus Classic
Submitted: April 1st, 2005
by Blasten
This is a VA, so it sounds like an analog synth. I know, you are probably saying "but digital will never be analog." Get over it. This unit sounds great, and I have it in use with a minimoog, and an opus 3, to name two famous true-analog synths. In fact, you may sometimes notices that it even mimics the organic response of analog oscillators in that the sound isn't always so mechanically exact. The filters are also quite good, offering up to a 6-pole curve. Perhaps it isn't the best bass machine out there, but I have gotten some killer basses. Pads and leads are there, too. Unlike an analog synth, you can add some digital effects, and a few wave-shapes right in the box, and get some really cutting, gritty sounds, great for industrial. I am particularly fond of the rate reducer. Using the LFOs judiciously will get you some wacky sci-fi stuff, too. From mellow to aggressive, this unit aims to please. If you can't get the sound you are looking for, you proabably don't know how to use a subtractive synth (no offense, as it isn't a walk in the park). If you wonder what Access stuff sounds like, take a list at their user base, as posted on their site.
I haven't had as problem in 6 months of use on the road and in the studio. I have banged it up a little, but it still functions properly. The paint on the rack ears chipped a little, though. Overall, I would say that it is rather solid, as opposed to some of the other synths (Alesis).
General Comments
An excellent option for someone without a lot of space, someone who is looking to augment a synth line-up, or someone who just doesn't want to drop 2000 dollars on another board. If has the sounds, and it operates well. Certainly one to look at, if you are considering a VA, or dare I say, even in place of a traditional analog.