65amps London
Submitted: January 17th, 2010
by Anonymous-jUPbj
This amp is the best sounding amp I have ever played! And I've played a ton of amps. I've used it with humbuckers, single coils, P-90's, every old DeArmond pups... every guitar I've ever played through this amp sounds amazing. The other thing I love is how well this amp retains the sound of your guitar. For example: Strats sound like strats... Teles like teles... Les Pauls like Les Pauls... and so on and so forth. I play many styles of music ranging from jazz to rock and it sounds great with every genre. It's always dead quiet on stage does exactly what I want it to when I want it to. The sounds this amp produces are predominantly more Vox-ish and Marshall like. However, it does touch on some great Fender and Matchless tones as well. Being that it is only 18 watts it does not have a ton of headroom but it has quite enough for me. I like to leave my amp just on the verge of breakup and push it with OD pedals. This leads me to the second part of this review... this amp takes pedals better than any amp I have played. Even amps with 5 figure price tags! The pulls out the true sound of your pedals yet stays intact every step of the way. Also, being that it does not have an Fx-Loop, you have to run your delays out front of the amp. Some might have a problem with this but I think they sound great! Even better than others i have heard in Fx-loops. They do not get muddy at all.
Reliability... I've owned this guy for about 6 months now and haven't had a problem yet. I have no opinion on the rating because I don;t feel I've had it long enough to have any problems. That said, these amps are built like tanks and have lifetime warranties. I never use a backup and the tubes (which are JJ) have held up great. They hand select their tubes by the way.
General Comments
In overall rating I give it an 8. It doesn't do metal and some might not find the headroom they are looking for but none the less, it is truly a remarkable amp. I chose this amp for several reasons. 1) It sounds better than any other amp i could get my hands on. And I had my hands on quite a few. Almost went with a /13 but after a side-by-side comparison, the /13 sounded quite thin and lacked the authority that the London offers. 2) It handles pedals extremely well. I love pedals so it was very important to have an amp that maintained it's tone even with pedals in front of it. 3) Holy hell, have you seen them? They look so damn good! If this amp were ever stolen I would for sure buy another.