65amps Lil Elvis 1X12 Combo
Submitted: October 6th, 2010
by paguitgeek
Incredibly three dimensional British sound.  I've wanted an EL-84 amp for a while and this is the best I have heard.  Lot's of chime and jangle in the clean settings and tons of bark, bite, and bottom-end with the Bump engaged.  If you like the tones Mike Campbell gets, this amp will put them out and then some.  The amp takes pedals extremely well.  For higher gain tones, I put a Fulltone OCD in front of it it sounds fantastic.  I also put some delay and modulation pedals in the effects loop and they sounded great as well with a nice clean, even-volumed signal.  I noticed that the tremolo is affected by the Master Voltage level quite a bit so you have to be careful to adjust the trem intensity level as you turn up the Master Voltage.  The relatively low wattage was absolutely not a problem.  The day after I bought it, I played in a blues ensemble with another guitarist, bassist, drummer, harmonic player, and keyboard and this thing just cut like a knife through the mix - and that with the master voltage knob less than half way up!
Amp is only 7 months old at this point.  It seems very solid and well made.  One quirk is that the tubes are difficult to access since they are up under the back and point towards the front of the amp.  This can make finding a bad tube difficult.
General Comments
I'm giving this a 9 since I weight sound quality the most.  I also love the compactness which seems to add something since you're getting this huge, full bodied sound from such a small package, know what I mean?