|MacOS editor screen shot|
(Click for a larger image)
The new V3.0 software for the Nord Modular and Micro Modular synthesizers has been released with a number of new features that will strengthen the Modular platform. Most notably, this release now adds support for MacOS. And the price? As always with the Modular software upgrades, free of charge!
The new software can be downloaded from Clavia's web site at www.clavia.se. The files are around 3.5 MB for each computer platform. Even if you don't have a Nord Modular or Micro Modular, you can download a free demo of the Modular Editor program for Mac or PC to get an idea of just what you can do with these synthesizers.
New Features in V3.0:
- The Editor software has been completely rewritten for both Macintosh and PC platforms. The V3.0 Editor software runs on PowerPC's under Mac OS 8.6 with OMS and the PC version runs under Windows95/98 and NT4.
- More voices in your patches thanks to the new "economic" patch structure. Now, you can use two sections of the patch; one where you use modules that should be unique for each voice, and another for modules that should process all voices together. This patch structure makes it possible to create a four voice vocoder in a Micro Modular, for example.
- More patches can be stored in the dynamic Nord Modular memory (not Micro Modular). Around 500 patches is usually no problem to fit in. It just depends on the size of the patches.
- The "44 modules per patch" limit is removed and now the maximum number of modules in a patch is determined only by the available Sound Engine resources.
- The Knob Floater window in the Editor is mirroring the synthesizer's front panel including all the assignable knobs. Now you can change assigned patch parameters in real time from the Knob Floater window and use it more as a regular synth panel.
- Integrated Patch Browser for easy patch file handling.
- One Editor - up to four synthesizers. With the V3.0 Editor you can hook up and control up to four Nord Modulars and/or Micro Modulars from one Editor. You use the same Nord Modular V3.0 Editor for both Nord Modular and Micro Modular synthesizers.
- Multi-step Undo/Redo. Now it's possible to Undo and Redo commands in several steps. Very useful if you should accidentally mess up that great sound.