Cascade Range, Oregon -- September 20, 2012
Don’t be a KNOB GOBLIN! Stop bending over on stage!
Molten Voltage’s popular Molten MIDI pedal (currently on tour with Radiohead) has been updated to control the new Digitech Whammy 5, resulting in the release of Molten MIDI 5!
“Wow! Molten MIDI turns the Digitech Whammy into a step sequencer and reveals an almost limitless number of sounds and effects.”
- Guitar Player Magazine
“The Digitech Whammy pedal is one of the coolest stomp boxes ever, but Molten Voltage has figured out a way to make it even cooler.” “Molten MIDI gives the Whammy new life and provides hours of creative inspiration.”
- Guitar World Magazine
“Molten Voltage’s Molten MIDI is one of those devices that reminds me why I love cool, interesting guitar sounds. I was able to achieve some really wild, unique tones, and rediscovered my affection of the Whammy pedal in the process. Molten MIDI’s greatest strength, however, is that it forces the use of the Whammy to be musical, and not just some gadget that makes crazy sounds that some players might only use for one song.”
- Premier Guitar Magazine
Molten MIDI 5 is a Programmable MIDI Stompbox that offers five unique and original ways to control the Digitech Whammy 5. Molten MIDI 5 also doubles as a synchronized MIDI Clock source for all your MIDI devices.
Molten MIDI 5 lets you hear notes that aren’t normally available on the Whammy, then sequence those notes into elegant harmonies and improbable riffs. But it’s not just a guitar sequencer!
Programs of up to 16 steps each come in 5 different flavors:
1) Loop Portamento programs cycle through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions. “Portamento” means you hear the Whammy “slide” from one step to the next, rather than “jump”, as if the expression pedal is moving.
2) Loop, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except Whammy doesn’t “slide” from one position to another, it “jumps”.
3) Step Portamento programs step through sequences of virtual expression pedal positions each time the Step button is pressed. As the Whammy changes to a new “virtual” position, you hear it “slide” up or down to the new position.
4) Step, No Portamento programs are just like the Portamento version, except Whammy doesn’t “slide” from one position to another each time the Step button is pressed, it “jumps”.
5) Different Settings programs step through selected Whammy settings each time the Step button is pressed. The virtual position of the expression pedal is not affected.
Programs are selected using the footswitches and are indicated using the Whammy’s own LEDs. The Whammy works normally when Molten MIDI 5 isn’t sending data.
Two Ways to Program MM5
Molten MIDI 5 stores 19 programs at a time that are created manually or using a slick computer-based Programming Utility. The Programmer lets you trade files and share favorite loops and settings (download the programmer at MoltenVoltage.com).
The computer-based Programming Utility comes in both PC and Mac versions and requires Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Mac OSX 10.5 or later, along with an attached Standard MIDI Output Device.
screen shot of Molten MIDI 5 Programming Utility
Molten MIDI 5 connects to the stock Whammy 5 pedal with a standard MIDI cable. (Molten Voltage sells convenient 1-foot MIDI cables)
Molten MIDI 5 requires a 9 volt, 2.1 mm, tip negative, DC power supply. Standard 5-pin MIDI cable and power supply are available separately.
At $124.95 MSRP, Molten MIDI 5 is the same price as Molten MIDI 2.
Molten MIDI 5 is available at kaom.com and other effect retailers.
More information and an entertaining VIDEO are available on the Molten MIDI 5 product page:
Molten MIDI 5™ is an updated version of Molten Voltage’s popular Molten MIDI pedal, re-designed to control the new Digitech Whammy 5™.