Tenor Sax: Who plays it and can give me tips?

• Members

As a seasoned musician (!) I have decided to attempt to learn Tenor Sax. I have purchased one and a beginner book! I want to be able to play a gig by Feb. 2013 (not a 4 hour full-out gig, just play some on a song or two with embarassing myself).

Any tips?

• Members

Get yourself signed up for some lessons with the best teacher you can find. You want to develop proper habits instead of correcting bad ones later.

You'll want a good supply of reeds.

Listen to as many tenor sax players as you can find. It'll be tough going at first, but you need to have some kind of sound concept in your head when playing. I've noticed that players who don't listen tend to have flat, sterile sounds.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My son has been playing tenor sax for about 10 years and is pretty good . I also have a daughter who is beginning alto sax. After watching them it seems that starting out with a good sax is very important. Student grade horns can actually be harder to play than an advanced level horn due to intonation problems and resistance .Also generally cheap production methods make them hard to keep adjusted. I hope you got a god one. We got lucky and found our son a 1948 Conn 10m that plays perfectly and is a very sturdy ,solid sax. Sure it has some wear to the laquer but that gives it charecter. A good teacher and a good sax.

• Members

practice arpeggios. If you want to be able to improvise on sax quickly then practice scales and arpeggios. Most important is to practice long tones and I would suggest doing it with a tuner. Just start on the bottom of the horn and play the notes as evenly as possible for 4-8 beats and move up the horn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived