Winter NAMM 2016 - Official Show Report

Chris Loeffler

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had my first look at some of the cool stuff coming...and saw a couple of familiar faces as well. First up was ROLI's Seaboard Rise 49. It's a 5-dimensional controller that does amazing things to your performance. The 49-key version was announced today. Keyboard controllers will never be the same once people get their hands on these. Expect great things in 2016 from these guys! www.roli.com

fetch?photoid=31698209&type=thumb

Photo

Last edited by Matthew Mann; 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM.

• Members

This nifty little doodad is called Touché. It's an expressive controller from the folks at Expressive E. It has CV, USB, and MIDI outputs and (with it's companion software) can be set to control loads of things on your favorite synth or VST. Basically, you put your hand on the wooden control surface and wiggle it, tap it, jiggle it, move it forward, backward, side-to-side...and each thing you do can control a function like filter sweeps and more. Check 'em out at www.expressivee.com for more info.

fetch?photoid=31698228&type=thumb

fetch?photoid=31698229&type=thumb

Photos

• Members

Here's something you don't see every day. This MIDI controller from Tribal Tools is....well....beyond description really. The Kadabra has loads of keys and buttons for chord types, arpeggios types, FX control for instruments AND your voice (and even has a place for a mic clip to connect to it), a looper, oh...and it even has gyroscopic control so you can wave it around to get even more expression out of it. You'll need to see it to believe it. www.tribal-tools.com

fetch?photoid=31698246&type=thumb

Photo

• Members

I met Billy Sheehan, who was showing off his new signature drive pedal from EBS. After watching him play, I wanted to buy one...and I don't even play bass! It features more gain without the loss of your low end, a phase inverter switch, swappable op-amps, and Billy's signature right on its lovely orange shell. What's not to love? www.ebssweeden.com

fetch?photoid=31698252&type=thumb

fetch?photoid=31698253&type=thumb

Photos

• 2 likes

1 comment

• image.php?userid=46598&thumb=1&dateline=1393485078
    #5.1

dboomer commented
    01-23-2016, 05:19 PM

I wonder why the manufacturer thought there is loss of low end when gain is added with other devices. I've never had that problem myself wink.png

• Members

The day started with getting our badges. We were standing in this huge line until someone suggested they were also processing badges at the Marriott, so we ditched the line and sure enough, no line at the Marriott. Sort of felt guilty leaving all the masses standing at the tent outside! ... NOT. fetch?id=31698988&d=1453422460&type=full

Bringing the Harmony back to Harmony Central

1 comment

• image.php?userid=60615&thumb=1&dateline=1393485163
    #6.1

Phil O'Keefe commented
    01-22-2016, 03:09 AM

I used the tent, and was in and out in almost no time. idk.gif

• Members

Started my day at the Gretsch, LP, DW booth (Yeah, I know ... so confusing anymore to keep up with).

Be still my heart on some of these kits!

Gretsch: fetch?id=31698999&d=1453423129&type=full

Brooklyn Series in Satin Chestnut Duco. A sweet 16X24 bass drum! fetch?id=31699222&d=1453437912&type=full

Catalina Club Series in Gloss Crimson Burst with a 14X18 kick

fetch?id=31699234&d=1453438521&type=full

Broadkaster Series Vintage Build in Gold Sparkle. 14X20 Kick!

Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 01-21-2016, 11:15 PM.

• Members

I had to mention the very exciting news about the new Dave Smith Instruments release today. The Tom Oberheim OB-6 analog synth in lovely Oberheim Blue. This was a huge surprise. Apparently Tom Oberheim and Dave Smith have been working very hard on this one and kept it hush, hush until today. We're hoping we'll be able to review this very soon and let you know all the details. Woo hoo!

fetch?photoid=31699189&type=thumb

Photo

• Members

More Gretsch

fetch?id=31699738&d=1453438809&type=full

fetch?id=31699739&d=1453438868&type=full

This stunning USA Custom Standard Build Kit in Burnt Orange Curly Maple. with an 18X22 kick. Dig that curly maple - looks like the kit is alive.

fetch?id=31699740&d=1453439365&type=full

USA Custom Vintage Build Kit in Peacock Satin Flame. Dig that 14X18 kit and this thing sounded great!

Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM.

• Members

The big buzz from Korg at NAMM is the Minilog...a 4-voice analog synth with 200 programs, 16-step poly note and motion sequencer and an interesting little real-time oscilloscope for visual feedback. More importantly, it sounds fantastic! Check it out for more at www.korgusa.com!

fetch?photoid=31699956&type=thumb

Photo

• 1 like

1 comment

#13.1

Phil O'Keefe commented
    01-23-2016, 01:05 PM

I'm not crazy about mini-keys due to my short stubby and fat snasuage fingers, but outside of that, I thought the Korg Minilogue was pretty darned impressive - and at about $500 "street", the price is much lower than I expected...

• Members

Of course, seeing the Korg's reinvention of the Arp Odyssey was a treat. What's not to like?

fetch?photoid=31699960&type=thumb

Photo

• 2 likes

2 comments

#14.1

Phil O'Keefe commented
    01-23-2016, 01:03 PM

I played with it a bit myself. Very nice! phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

[*] image.php?userid=152080&thumb=1&dateline=1440567996

#14.2

jorhay1 commented

01-23-2016, 08:53 PM

I had a 2600 for years.

Korg nails the Arp Sound, but I'm not a fan of the keys.

But again, it absolutely nails the sound.

But hey Korg, SOLINA NOW !

• Members

I haven`t seen much yet from NAMM but from what I have seen, the DSI OB6 looks very tasty... I`m still eyeing the Moog Sub37 but I have to admit, the OB6 had me on the Sweetwater site a few minutes after it was announced... I did put it in my cart... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• 1 like

2 comments

• image.php?userid=152080&thumb=1&dateline=1440567996
    #15.1

jorhay1 commented
    01-23-2016, 08:55 PM

I got the Sub 37.
    Sold my Slim Phatty, never looked back.
    Absolutely amazing synth.

But the OB looks insane!
    Last edited by jorhay1; 01-23-2016, 08:56 PM.

[*] image.php?userid=61205&thumb=1&dateline=1393485178

#15.2

Ernest Buckley commented

01-24-2016, 07:10 PM

I`m really stumped over this decision…

I had my eye on the Sub37 for quite some time… around a year actually. Then the Prophet 6 was announced at NAMM 2015 and I knew that would be my first purchase, then the Sub37 but now the OB6?! I know… two different monsters but those OB6 demos sound delicious.

I do think the Sub37 is a better second synth for me at this time to compliment the Prophet but wow… the OB6 really has me in love…

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

I haven`t seen much yet from NAMM but from what I have seen, the DSI OB6 looks very tasty... I`m still eyeing the Moog Sub37 but I have to admit, the OB6 had me on the Sweetwater site a few minutes after it was announced... I did put it in my cart... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ernest, I had the opportunity to play it for just a few minutes, and hear it for a few minutes more - and that was enough to make it one of my choices for "best of show" this year. Ask Craig and Dendy - I was raving to them about it just last night. It's pretty darned cool! phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Matthew Mann View Post

Roland was showing out with lots of new stuff but had lots of folks still going crazy over the Boutiques. Apparently, their limited edition and once they're gone....they're gone. If you're going to get one...you'd better do it soon!

For some reason these aren't doing it for me.

I have a vintage JX-3P and these don't seem to have the mojo imho.

I want to like them.

Anybody have any of these and really dig them?

• Members

I had to mention the very exciting news about the new Dave Smith Instruments release today. The Tom Oberheim OB-6 analog synth in lovely Oberheim Blue. This was a huge surprise. Apparently Tom Oberheim and Dave Smith have been working very hard on this one and kept it hush, hush until today. We're hoping we'll be able to review this very soon and let you know all the details. Woo hoo!

love.gif

Whoa!

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post

Ernest, I had the opportunity to play it for just a few minutes, and hear it for a few minutes more - and that was enough to make it one of my choices for "best of show" this year. Ask Craig and Dendy - I was raving to them about it just last night. It's pretty darned cool! phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

• Members

Roland was showing out with lots of new stuff but had lots of folks still going crazy over the Boutiques. Apparently, their limited edition and once they're gone....they're gone. If you're going to get one...you'd better do it soon!

For some reason these aren't doing it for me.

I have a vintage JX-3P and these don't seem to have the mojo imho.

I want to like them.

Anybody have any of these and really dig them?

• Members

love.gif

Whoa!

• Members

Neat Mics were in good showing with their fantastic line of microphones.

* King Bee - is a cardioid, large diaphragm condenser that really works well on vocals, acoustic guitars, drum overheads and more. It comes with it's own shock mount and custom honey-comb pop filter that attaches directly to the mic.

* Worker Bee - is also cardiod, but is a medium diaphragm condenser mic that works well on guitars, drums, percussion, and more. It has a higher SPL, so it can handle drums even better and can be used for close micing. This one also comes with the shock mount and pop filter.

* Beecaster - is a podcasting and narration mic like no other. It features a custom USB cable so you can take it with you and use it anywhere. Additionally, it has four pickup patterns (mono, stereo, wide stereo, focused stereo) for getting just the sound you want. It also has built in headphone monitoring including a headphone jack, a volume control, mic gain control, mute button. The adjustable boom arm and swivel capsule make it easy to position it where you want it.

* Bumblebee - a USB mic meant for computer audio, tablet audio, and more. It features 3 tone settings (music, voice, and neutral), so you can do much more than just record your voice. It comes with the honey comb pop filter and the headphone monitoring.

* Beehive - This isn't actually a microphone, it's a headphone amplifier! Not only that...it's a tube headphone amplifier. It's intended to make your music listening experience even better. I hear it's the new buzz in the audiophile community! wink.png

The thing I forgot to mention is the price on these items from Neat Mics. Their prices betray the quality that each of these little bees are loaded with. You really should check them out. And if you want to know a little more, check out www.neatmics.com or my review at:http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...ee--worker-bee.

fetch?photoid=31701741&type=thumb

fetch?photoid=31701742&type=thumb

fetch?photoid=31701743&type=thumb

Photos

• Members

As I mentioned before, Dave Smith Instruments wowed us with the new Tom Oberheim OB-6. Initial impression are: I HAVE TO GET ONE! 16x16_smiley-lol.png They sound as good as they look (love the Oberheim Blue) and blew my socks off when I finally got to play it. I'll make a full report as soon as I can get my hands on one for further....umm...."testing"! fetch?id=31701776&d=1453653892&type=full

fetch?id=31701766&d=1453652868&type=full

• Members

Delptronics had some interesting modular synths on offer, but the thing that caught my eye was their Music Machine. Not really intended as a "professional" music making box, it's more intended for music expos, hands-on children's museums and more. It was, apparently, tested at SXSW with great enthusiasm by loads of kids (and adults) alike. All I can say is that this multi-track step sequencer was lots of FUN....and the huge buttons lit with primary colors were certainly appealing. What a great way to get the young interested in music! fetch?id=31701770&d=1453653297&type=full

Archived