The Wild, Wacky, and Wonderful at Summer NAMM

Anderton

• Members

NAMM always has some outliers. Some of them are remarkable, some are head-scratchers, some are super-cool, some are...what were they thinking? So, let's take a look at some of these.

fetch?filedataid=125797

Who says acoustical treatment has to be boring? Apparently not Overtone Acoustics...and check out the "cityscape" cloud below. They also make more standard acoustic treatment products for more conservative people, but if I had the budget, I'd go for the cool stuff.

fetch?filedataid=125800

• Members

I'm not used to seeing acoustic guitars with a vibrato tailpiece, but there is a such a thing - P.H.A.T (Predice Hendricks Acoustic Tremolo). It doesn't retrofit existing guitars - it's built by BA Ferguson Guitars - but works in a such a way not to stress out the guitar bracing. Now that we have the tools, is folk-surf music far away?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32020182[/ATTACH]

• Members

Now this is a pretty cool product from D&A Guitar Gear. It's intended to go around guitar straps; the little studs are somewhat firm, and massage your shoulder as your guitar moves. What appealed to me the most is that this works really well with computer bags that go over your shoulder and hold a laptop - I ended up wearing it during the show, which made my shoulder a lot happier. However, bear in mind that it's intended for guitar straps, so the attachment falls over the fleshy section between your neck and shoulder. If you want to carry it over the end of your shoulder, you'll need some meat on your bones, or relatively thick shirt - the studs can dig in after a while.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32020186[/ATTACH]

• Members

In the beginning of MIDI, there was the 5-pin DIN connector. Then there was MIDI over USB. But how do you get the two to talk to each other? I've tried a lot of USB-to-MIDI adapters, but the ESI MIDIMATE was able to loop back polyphonic aftertouch from an Ensoniq TS-10 into a DAW and back out to the TS-10's MIDI in, and didn't miss a beat. Or a note. Now they've come out with MIDIMATE eX, which is supposedly even better...and definitely looks cooler.

fetch?filedataid=125810

• Members

And now, for something completely different. You wear a laser on your foot, calibrate it to a sensor, and then you can trigger things by stepping on the right places on a pad. It can trigger effects, loops in Ableton Live, and other things and seems to be an offshoot of VR-style technology. Anyway, it's kinda unusual but it does indeed work.

fetch?filedataid=125811

• Members

The award-winning CHORDBOSS gives a chance for guitarists with disabilities to play guitar to some degree again. Whether from industrial accidents, arthritis, or other issues, CHORDBOSS makes common chord types on the guitar by pressing it up against the frets. It's made in America and costs $40.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32020219[/ATTACH]

• Members

I admit I was drawn to this because of the name, but Hermit Cab is a pretty good description - it's a speaker cabinet that's an alternative to a power attenuator and isolates, defuses, and directs the sound coming out of the speakers. You can also set up microphones inside it...this seems like a really good idea for touring groups where you need to control the sound with precision.

fetch?filedataid=125814

• Members

So there you are on stage, electric guitar strapped on you and ready to rock...but then you need to switch to acoustic guitar for the incredibly sentimental chorus that brings the audience to tears. Are you going to break the mood by taking off your electric and putting on an acoustic? No! You're going to step over to the acoustic guitar that's cradled in the Axe-Handler.

fetch?filedataid=125831

Archived