This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer NAMM 2015 - Daily Show Report

And so it begins!
    The final boxes being cleared! And the doors open soon.

Attached Files
    Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

It's 10 AM and already this place is hopping!
    The mode seems much better than in previous years. There will always be naysayers, but hopefully, all of the musicians in the crowd are routing for our industry.
    Morning traffic is already a good sign. Getting into the parking garage was a pretty healthy wait.

Here is the line to pick up badges:

Attached Files

Comment

And a general look at the hall traffic just moments after the show opened on Thursday (today) morning:

Attached Files

Comment

Of course my first stop was the Gibson booth, to see who had made it in at that hour. The booth was already hopping, which was an indication of things to come - the show was unusually crowded for a Thursday. I also got a chance to hear the Les Paul monitors. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they really wowed me.

Also have my eye on the Phillips Fidelio Prosumer Sound Bar. I must have one, if only to save space and still get good sound. I wonder when the employee discount kicks in. 😀

Attached Files
        Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

First workshop was attending the panel discussion in honor of Les Paul at the Idea Center. This wasn't a Gibson thing, but part of the TEC Tracks series of audio-related seminars put on by the TEC Foundation, who do the TEC awards. It was a great presentation. One of the more nostalgic moments was playing a clip from the "Les Paul and Mary Ford" show. A show like that would never be put on the air today...

The Idea Center was really happening for 10:15 in the morning! Participants left to right: Craig Anderton, Joe Chambers from the Musician's Hall of Fame, Michael Braunstein from the Les Paul Foundation, Brad Smith from Hal Leonard, and Gibson bus driver Don Crawford (as you can imagine, he had quite a few stories)!

Joe Chambers brought the guitar Les Paul played on the Chester (Chet Atkins) & Lester sessions, and Craig got to fondle it.

There were lots of facts presented that people didn't know about Les Paul, and a ton of stories. He was a very cool guy, and also a bit of a prankster. Quite a few people think of him only in relation to the guitar and didn't know he invented multitrack recording and had the first home studio.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 07-11-2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Why are they all wearing headphones on stage?
            --
            "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
            Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRivers View Post
              Why are they all wearing headphones on stage?
              Hi, Mike:
              There are wireless receivers on each chair with headphones. There are no external speakers. Everything is completely silent unless you are wearing wireless headphones.

Thanks and the downtime last night delayed our response. We will be hot and heavy on it this morning.
              D

Comment

Day two is off to a fast start: Driving in with Craig Anderton, we talked about the first day and what our thoughts were about the show overall.
                What we have determined is that there are always going to be people who 'think' the industry is still in a slump and there are others who 'think' that the industry is on a high.

Every one knows that the industry "won't" go away. Much of the belief for everyone is about "perception."

Our personal belief is that we are hat at a high, but on an upward trend for sure.

WE were encouraged at the amount of pure enthusiasm that exists on the show floor.

So, Day 2 begins:

Attached Files

Comment

It's bustling in here today:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Zildjian launched a wonderful twist on their Gen16 technology and released the "L" series (or low volume series) of cymbals.

And here is the interesting twist - while these were cymbals "almost identical" to the Gen 16s, they are indeed a little beefier, but have the same 'bead blast' finish, but they actually sound great. They were demo'd on a kit with Remo mesh heads, and were (to me) a perfect practice kit or a kit you could easily use in an acoustic coffee house setting.
                    The high hats had a great "chick" and wash, and I suspect if they had proper miking that there would be a use for them in church settings that utilize low volume playing as well.

I'll have a video demo of them shortly that I can place up in this post.

Attached Files

Comment

Day 2 started out with a great presentation in the Idea Center about getting a fast start to recording at home or on the go. It was really a very well thought out presentation, and I hope we can get a video of it at some point to put up on HC. [Edit from Craig: I believe they recorded it, we'll see.]

Here are some shots of Craig in action. In this one, he may be describing how big a MIDI is-

At one point he made a fairly convincing case that it was a good idea to start an idea with MIDI, because you could change tempo and key easily until you found what was exactly right for the song.

And while Craig is a friend and a colleague, what I like about his presentations is that even a simpleton like me can understand what he is conveying and take away real usable information.
                      His presentation was full by the time he was into it.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 07-13-2015, 01:26 AM.

Comment

I'm going to cover some drum items, but fear not, this thread will get more than drums soon! Craig is running around the show taking photos of some really strange things - the kind of weirdness you find only at Summer NAMM.

There was such a small drum presence at the show, and that is my strength, hence the next 10 posts or so being about drums and percussion.

Sonor was showing at the show which was great to see. Recently KHS (Mapex) purchased the distribution rights to Sonor in the US, so they were sharing space next to Mapex.
                        And while this might seem confusing to some, it is really refreshing to see an old quality brand like Sonor having a face in the US again.

The kit on display was simply stunning.

A close up of the three dimensional badge:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Anderton; 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Here are some signature snares shown in the Sonor booth as well:

Attached Files

Comment

A Very Cool thing that will not be released until September -
                            Sabian has released a drum mic/monitor system that also allows you to record to SD card.

Early speculation is the entire system with mics and the control board will sell for $299.00

Watch out for this product!!!

Attached Files

Comment

Dixon showed this killer little stand up kit. The finish was very different as it wasn't smooth, rather very tactile. But was simply stunning.
                              The "miss" on the kit is the fact that the floor tom legs are too short. If one were playing this kit with a closed HiHat, in a standing position, they need to be able to reach the floor tom head at the same level of the rest of the kit.

But still, I really liked the kit, the concept and the finish was probably my favorite at the show.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X