Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Messe Picture Blowout!

Time to see the last pictures of the show, with a journey that takes us from the Pro Light & Sound halls, back to the synths, and...well, you'll find out.

Roland’s V-1200HD is a multi-format video switcher that accommodates 10 SDI and four HDMI inputs, and six SDI and 2 HDMI outputs. It can control up to four remote cameras, and its 16-channel audio mixer can handle up to 92 inputs. There are expansion slots to increase the I/O.

RCF’s TM 18 digital mixer is a digital mixing engine with remote iPad control. It features 18 input channels, 18 simultaneous effects including amp simulation by Overloud, stereo main outputs, and six aux outputs.

Speaking of RCF, big linear arrays are always fun to photograph. I’m pretty sure this was the tallest one at the show.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Anderton; 04-20-2015, 09:41 PM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

JoeCo keeps plugging away at multi-track things you can stuff in a rackmount. The Blackbox BBR64-MADI captures up to 64 channels of audio, and records to a USB2 drive; the BBR-64-Dante is similar but has standard Ethernet Dante I/O; and the Blackbox Player, intended for live shows and theme parks, replays 24 or 64 tracks from a USB2 drive or flash drive. Of course, they have the obligatory cute tablet remote.

Sony’s new video recorder looks like it’s worth a spin if you want to upgrade from something like a Zoom 2QHD.

Mackie’s DL32R is a mixing engine with—you guessed it—a cute iPad app.

Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

You can always count on Radial Engineering to bring a bunch of little utilitarian boxes, with all of them built solidly enough that they could become personal defense units in a bar fight. Voco-Loco is a vocal preamp with EQ and effects loop.

Prodigy is a speaker “power soak” box that will supposedly take up to 300 watts.

The JDV Class-A DI box has been upgraded to a stereo version, and accepts +48V phantom power as a power source.

And I thought this was clever (although admittedly, I’m easily amused)—feed USB digital audio in, and get analog audio out.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Casio’s XW-series keyboards are cheap, cheerful, fun, and actually, somewhat brash. So Casio is extending the line not with more keyboards, but with the XW-DJ1 and XW-PD1 groovy DJ controllers.

The Bose F1 Model B12 is a portable speaker with four user-settable coverage patterns—so if what you’re playing through it is literally going over your audience’s head, you can blast them more directly. And if you want bass to go with it, there’s the F1 subwoofer.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

I find it ironic that there’s a model train setup in the middle of Frankfurt’s main train station. I mean, you’re surrounded by trains. You think that would be enough.

Thanks to Cakewalk’s Tara Zanett, here’s a picture of Gibson’s Aero Drome, where people were blasted into the air with…blasts of air. But not just anyone could get to do it…you had to enter a contest.

Then again, there was always something going on at the Gibson booth. There’s no reason shows have to be boring, right? Okay…back to the gear.

Arrangers remain big in Europe, as they power the one-person bands that you’ll often find playing in restaurants and bars. The SD5 from Ketron is sophisticated model, shown here with the MIDI Pro Multimedia Player.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

There are electric/acoustic “melodica” type instruments—blow into the pipe, and play the keys. I didn’t have the courage to blow into the same pipes blown into by 72,338 showgoers. Just sayin.’

Harmonicas are a guilty pleasure of mine, particularly when it comes to blues harp. So I was pretty happy to see a display case teeming with a zillion harmonics from Suzuki.

Casio showed several mini-keyboards designed for kids. And given how hard some kids were pounding the keys (“No Matthias, those are not drums”), I’d say they definitely were designed for kids.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-19-2015, 11:33 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

This was the biggest of Casio’s small keyboards.

The Dualo du-touch is a novel instrument/MIDI controller you wear sort of like an accordion, and features two sets of keys that light to illuminate patterns. Patterns are key to this, as it’s easy to associate chords with shapes. But it’s also a recorder and looper than allows you to overdub. I assume it will follow the same path as most alternate controllers (a limited number of people love it, but the numbers never get high enough to bring down costs via mass production so that a less limited number of people will love it), but it’s still pretty imaginative and quite playable. Price is around $1,000.

As a big fan of the DA-3000 stereo PCM/DSD recorder, this really got my attention: TASCAM’s DA-6400, a 64-track recorder in a 1U box that records to solid-state media. It was being previewed so there weren’t a lot of details, but I’m keeping my eye on this.

And here’s the US-16x08 interface. I was told the drivers for Windows are now available, and the unit is shipping in quantities.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

ESI’s Planet 8/8 is an 8-in, 8-out Dante-compatible unit that can be used by itself, or to expand existing Dante-based setups at a reasonable cost.

Your chiropractor may not be happy you’re not trying to lug a big Hammond organ around from gig to gig any more, and you may not be happy you’re missing out on the sound only those babies could produce. But check out the Ferrofish B4000+. Your chiropractor will still be unhappy, but you might get your smile back.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Roland had their “plug-outs” in full force, including a modular synthesizer (shown here in a Doepfer system), TB-3 Touch Bass, and the SBX-1 sync box to convert among MIDI, DIN sync, and USB/MIDI (as well as handle CV/Gate chores).

Roland also had the Session Mixer, which reminds me of JamHub.

Among their “plug-out” synths, people couldn’t seem to take their hands off the System-1, and the SH-101 plug-out brought that venerable synth back into the limelight.

We’ll close out the Roland segment with a family portrait. I guess they got tired enough of people making boxes that traded on Roland’s legacy that they just decided to take advantage of their own legacy.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

And now, let’s enter a world of strange and wonderful instruments. Modular synthesis continues its rebirth, and musicians are taking advantage of that to produce some pretty wild sounds. Every year a bunch of little synth manufacturers get together, divide up the cost of a booth, set up their machines, and delight synth fans of all persuasions. I suspect there’s also a lot of mutual geekery when the traffic lightens up—although come to think of it, I never did see the traffic lighten up.

When it comes to modular synths, Europeans go nuts. Here’s a pretty hardcore configuration from Doepfer.

Anode’s Meeblip is a tiny little bass synthesizer with an analog filter. Here it is next to the XBase 09 for comparison.

And here’s a close-up.

Macbeth Studio Systems showed the Elements synthesizer with a touch keyboard. Sure, it came out last year, but who cares? We’re looking for cool pictures at Messe.

A Vermona-based modular synth.

Vermona also makes a weird-ass drum machine. And I do mean that in a good way.

Still more Vermona…this time a more conventional-looking keyboard synthesizer.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM.

- George Carlin

Comment

The sign said “MIXZ,” but I suspect a more accurate name for this photo would be “Explosion at Radio Shack.”

A bunch of fun modules. Bob Moog would have been proud.

Some AJH synth modules co-habitating in a metal frame.

Now let’s see what the Moog folks are up to…although given how many KRK speakers they used, it was looking like a speaker showroom. In fact, KRKs were all over the place with synth companies.

The Mighty Moog Modular.

You also saw a lot of little “stations” with various boxes working together.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

I’ve seen the Schmidt C Synthesizer before, but it still never ceases to delight me.

And one last shot of someone lost in the patch cords…

Saturday was the day for the School Jam finals. This is a contest in Germany where various high school rock bands compete to see who’s best. They’re all pretty good, but sometimes some genuine talent with real star power bubbles to the surface.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Anderton; 04-20-2015, 09:39 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

RME is all about high-end interfaces—and like many other companies, they were pushing their 192 kHz compatibility.

Aida Audio’s GT3B is a guitar effects box, but its main claim to fame is parameter control via an app, Bluetooth, and an iPad. It has 10 effects combinations, with three effects useable simultaneously.

Tronical showed their automatic tuning mechanisms for not just standard Gibson headstocks, but six-on-a-side types as well.

Blackstar is relentless. Their booth just keeps getting bigger, as does their lineup of amps. As you probably figured out from the sign, this is the HT Venue Series.

The guitar face is a common phenomenon at Messe.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

This guy may have watched Jimi Hendrix videos just one too many times. Either that, or his guitar teacher gave him some really bad advice about how to play guitar.

Universal Audio had their Apollo Thunderbolt 2 interfaces, with new A/D and D/A converters. The Apollo 16 features 16 x 16 analog I/O using DB-25 connectors, onboard UAD-2 Quad Core DSP with the “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle, and you can cascade up to four Apollo interfaces and six UAD devices total over Thunderbolt (Mac).

Check out this Stanton turntable modified by Rocketbyz…too bad I couldn’t shoot a photo under black light. He also customized a really twisted Les Paul.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Got some more information on the Elektron “Overbridge” analog plug-ins, with a public beta scheduled to start in May. These VSTi/AU plug-ins connect via USB for not just digital control, but passing audio between the analog devices and your computer. So these really are plug-ins that do analog processing of your digital data stream—not unlike having a permanent “external insert” type of plug-in interface. Options include the Analog Rytm drum machine, Analog Keys analog synthesizer, and the tabletop Analog synthesizer. Also, here’s an idea of what the interface will look like.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X