Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Anderton's Saturday report from Musikmesse

Here's the latest from Craig and Musikmesse. Enjoy!

Okay, I got the details on scheduling for next year’s Messe. The dates will be April 5-8 (Tuesday through Friday) for Pro Light & Sound, and April 7-10 (Thursday through Sunday) for Musikmesse. We’ll see how this plays out, but the initial reaction from those I’ve talked to is…”Why?”

But hey, that’s the future, and this is the present. So let’s look at some pix of cool stuff, starting with the boring subject of mic stands…which as it turns out don’t always have to be boring.

Gravity Stands, a division of Adam Hall, won’t have products until August but that’s the beauty of trade shows—companies can say what they want about the future, because in the immortal words of Yoda himself, “Always in motion, the future.” Still, these look nice and the company claims that higher material thicknesses, high-quality 2-fold injected ABS plastic, and die-cast zine connectors will result in accurate and durable construction.

Remember Roland’s GR-300 guitar synthesizer? It was brilliant. It didn’t use MIDI, but instead processed the signals from a hex pickup to give sounds that sat somewhere between a synthesizer and the organic qualities of guitar. The timbre even changed when you moved up a string. The SY-300 carries on the GR-300’s legacy but can be used with any guitar that outputs via a standard ¼” jack (i.e., most all of them)—the SY-300 extracts the individual notes and processes them, with no MIDI (or latency) required. Think of it like a polyphonic version of Melodyne Editor, where you can process the “blobs” with three synth sections and four effects processors. This is impressive, and one of the hits of the show.

No image can capture the Roland XD-JA’s red-intensive lighting in full glory, where controls and sliders (great for real-time tweaking) are lit like Roland’s Aira line but with red instead of green. It makes quite a visual statement, but also uses Roland’s SuperNatural synth technology to make both naturalistic and off-the-wall sounds.

How could I not take a picture of a see-through piano?

Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

In case you think Sennheiser doesn’t have a sense of humor, check out their booth. You gotta love the sign for the “bar.” Sadly, the bunny punk rocker sign was not for sale. Believe me, I tried.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment
      Bummer - that bunny punk rocker sign absolutely RULEZ!1!!

Avid’s booth in Musikmesse showed off Pro Tools 12, Pro Tools First, and their small-format mixer, while their booth in the Pro Light & Sound zone was all about mixing.

Radikal Technologies seems incapable of producing products that don’t sound excellent, and their RT-451 Dual Multimode Filter is no exception. And a heads-up: Their Spectralis table-top synth still sounds excellent after all these years.

Ever thought to yourself “gee, I’d sure like to see the insides of a Mellotron?” Well, your wish is granted. And if not…there’s always the next picture.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

You may recall that on Day 1, I speculated about a booth that had excellent taste in speakers and may have involved time travel. Actually, it’s more bizarre than that. Bastl instruments combines modular synthesis with solenoids that can strike other instruments, like guitar, bells, and snare. If you like experimental music, you probably lost quite a few minutes when you went past this booth. Or maybe you lost a few hours. Hmmm…maybe it does have something to do with time travel.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

I hadn’t spent much time at the ESI booth in the past, but they had some cool stuff. Their Unik speakers have a “tilt” equalizer instead of a shelf, and adjustable height pads that can angle the speaker and provide acoustic decoupling. I wasn’t too thrilled with the 5” model, but the 8” one was pretty impressive given the under $300 (each) price.

ESI also makes a PCIe computer interface (gasp!) called Juli@ XTE. Why should you care? Because PCI fell out of favor when FireWire and USB made connecting interfaces far easier—but for those who don’t quake in terror when faced with opening up their computer, PCIe cards can definitely shave a few milliseconds off your latency.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

SoundRadix’s Drum Leveler ventures into practical magic territory. It isolates drum sounds from a mixed track of drums using transient detection methods, then lets you change drum levels for selected sounds—for example, you can raise or lower just the snare drum. Or just the high-hat…I want to put this sucker through its paces, and hear if it performs as well as did during the demo.

Heads up, everybody: I went to the Pro Light & Sound halls, and couldn’t resist taking multiple pictures of “Big Mixers with Lots of Controls”—like DiGiCo’s SD7.

Or maybe you prefer something smaller, like DiGiCo’s SD11.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Yamaha’s CL1 was highlighted at Messe.

Or go even bigger with Yamaha’s CL5.

Here’s Yamaha’s TF3, where the TF stands for Touch & Flow. If you’ve guessed that means a touch screen, you’d be right. There are three different versions, and one Dante-compatible I/O box.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Roland showed the M-5000 Live Mixing Console.

SSL weighed in with the L300 SSL live console.

If this looks suspiciously like a Euphonix Artist Series controller that bulked up on steroids, you might not be too far off…this is Avid’s S3L-X live console.

The Midas/Klark Tweknik (a/k/a Behringer) Pro X 8 mixer is yet another mixer designed for live performance.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Here’s the Cadac cdc eight mixer.

Allen & Heath’s GLC 112 doubles as a cool light show when you’re not touring.

[034] (Picture to come later... )

Take that, Neil Young: Sony had their high-resolution “Walkman,” the NWZ-A15 (left), with 16 GB of memory and 30 hours of battery life when playing back high-res audio (50 hours with MP3s). On the right, the PHA-3AC is a USB DAC headphone amp that’s compatible with 384 kHz/32-bit PCM audio as well as DSD.

Tired of the same ol’ gray gaffer’s tape? Allcolor gaffer’s tape brings color to your stage setup when you’re taping cables down to the floor so drunks don’t trip on them.

Mackie’s Freeplay isn’t just a highly portable PA system, but bears a striking resemblance to ET. Although of course, ET didn’t connect to an app, and as far as we know wasn’t Bluetooth-capable.

See? I told you I wasn’t the only person using flat amps with computer-based processing. Here, the Bose portable PA and the Kemper Profiling Amp are living together in peace and harmony.

And finally… I have to sign off for tonight, even though I have a bunch of pictures that will make synthesizer enthusiasts drool (and that’s not all by any means, like the guy flying in the Gibson Brands Aero Drome). But I have to pack and catch a plane in a few hours, so reality has to trump picture posting. Well, at least for now. Come back soon to catch even more photos, accompanied by opinionated conclusions about the show. Meanwhile, here’s a better picture of the DJ-meets-guitar guy we saw briefly in the first batch of photos.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X