Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig’s Thursday Messe Photo Thread

More from Craig Anderton and Musikmesse 2015.

Well this was one of those meeting-intensive days…I didn’t actually come here to cover Messe, but then the Harmony Central deal closed on Friday and I guess old habits die hard. The show is downsized quite a bit this year, Hall 4.1 has been closed down for exhibits and now consists of exhibitors-only meeting rooms.

The days when DJ products took an entire hall are gone…and the section they take up of the MIDI/synths/software hall keeps getting smaller. The Pro Light & Sound exhibits, which I usually visit on public day because they’re not as populated, are holding their own but otherwise Messe continues to shrink.

If you really want to go to some big booths, pretty much all that’s left is Yamaha (which has the forum building to itself), and Gibson, whose booth is huge. (And in case anyone’s wondering if Gibson owning Harmony Central is why there aren’t any photos of the Fender or PRS booths, it’s actually because there is no Fender or PRS booth…and they aren’t the only ones who decided to pass on Frankfurt this year.)

However the bottom line is that those who are here got more attention than usual, and a lot of it was well-deserved. But the Biggest News for me: I met Bieke in person! He is an actual humanoid biped and a nice guy. I always love to meet people from Harmony Central in the real world—it’s proof they’re not just pixels on a screen.

For some reason, today my pedal fetish bubbled to the surface, but first let’s start with some other goodies, but first,

HeartBeat is Softube’s first instrument, and it’s a very flexible synthesized drum tone generator. It has a true analog-style interface: one knob/switch, one function. This led to an interesting discussion about whether part of the mystique of analog has more to do with the interface than the sound quality, but we needn’t get into that now.

And while we were at Softube, this baby caught our eye. It’s not out yet, and before you start drooling you need to make sure you have a suitable UAD system. If this lives up to the promise it may be the Marshall sim to end all Marshall sims. Fingers crossed.

Beat Buddy is a drum accompaniment pedal for guitarists. It’s actually quite effective, and its fill and variation options will remind you of the Alesis SR-16.

Here’s Beat Buddy in use. It takes up considerably less space than a real drummer, keeps perfect time, and will not hit on this guy’s girlfriend.

Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I admit it, I went kind of nuts shooting pictures of pedals—they just look cool sitting in their little, brightly painted metal boxes. Here are some Maxon, Catalinbread, and JHS pedals.

Here’s what Providence had on offer.

More Catalinbread, and a bunch of Mojo Hand FX.

Fun stuff from Earthquaker Devices.

JHS was struttin’ their stuff as well.
    Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Wampler is another one of those companies that has cool names for their effects.

Jacques showed several people, including Electric Sheep. But the question remains: Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Here’s the Neunaber pedal collection.

Various Maxon pedals. Seems they’re involved in some kind of party or ritual.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Death by Audio pedals. With names like Apocalypse, I didn’t want to audition anything and blow up the world accidentally.

DIY effects connoisseurs will likely recognize the knobs in Fairfield Circuitry’s processors.

Yarasov pedals…from Russia, with love (and a bunch of resistors).

RevPad is a processor you control wirelessly, from a pad that sticks on your guitar. If you don’t want to go to the extreme of using Crazy Glue to attach a Korg KAOSS pad to your axe, this should hold you over just fine.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

These Laney amps were lit so well I just had to shoot them. Now whoever did the booth layout can can show this to the boss, and ask for a raise.

Luxury watches, luxury cars, luxury yachts…and now, we have luxury picks from Timber Tones.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

One Control pedals. There’s no truth to the rumor they were designed exclusively for One Direction.

Koch doesn’t make a lot of pedals, but they sound good.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Let’s spend some time with Greenhouse pedals, which are different from the norm. Some pedals consist of modules…

…you can pop in and out of an enclosure…

…or put up to four of them in a single enclosure.

And here’s what the “quad” pedal looks like when you bust it open.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

The Pro-Line Hi-Link booth is from a distributor, so I could get a bunch of pictures of pickups.

G & B had an acoustic guitar pickup with both piezo and magnetic elements.

Pickups? Knobs? Switches? Banzai Electronics has quite the collection.

Tsakalis is another one of those companies that likes unusual names for its pedals.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

House Music gets the award for “Most Zen Sign of the Show.”

Here’s a better look at the House Music booth. I’m surprised some enterprising squatter didn’t take it over, and offer to sell the “air” that will add that sweet high end to your EQ.

Let’s take a look at the world of Carl Martin.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Pedals from Hong Kong via Caline.

Here’s something useful for panel management: A stick-on pad goes on the back of the effect, and a retaining screw goes through a hole in the pedalboard to hold the pedal in place. Beats the Velcro I used to use…

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Nux arranged its pedals in an apparent attempt to remind people of the Easter Island heads.

Of course you want accessories for your pedals…right? Well, StageTrix has some ideas on ways to manage your pedals

Dave Lockwood, from Sound on Sound magazine, caught in an unguarded moment at the Gibson “petting zoo” where people can play a variety of Gibson guitars. I think he looks pretty happy with how it sounds…

And Paul White, also from Sound on Sound, felt it was essential to break Dave out of his reverie so that actual work could be done. If you look closely you can see Gibson’s Jim DeCola—a/k/a “the guy who designs Gibson’s pickups” smiling in the background. I’m not sure why, but I suspect it was because the show was closing soon.

After another day at Messe, it was back to the impressive HC Messe Command Center. And tomorrow, I’ll get up bright and early, run to the tram, flash my badge at the Messe gatekeepers, and the cycle will begin anew…with the added dimension of the dreaded Public Day.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-16-2015, 06:07 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                      X