Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmony Central Presents “The Freaks of Frankfurt”

More stuff from Frankfurt from Craig Anderton.

It’s a tradition that started well over a decade ago, when Guitar Player magazine’s Matt Blackett attended his first Frankfurt show. I asked him what impressed him the most and among other things, he mentioned the “freaks of Frankfurt” guitars you never see at a NAMM show.

I know a good catch phrase when I hear one, so during most of my years with Harmony Central I did a “Freaks of Frankfurt” segment of Frankfurt coverage with, well, the freakish guitars you rarely (if ever) see at a NAMM show. Others may laugh, but let’s face it, they demonstrate the levels to which the human mind aspires to come up with something new, different, perhaps possibly illegal in some countries, and at least for this year, “shiny” (shiny was definitely in fashion.)

So get on the tram (how nice they mention Musikmesse! Anaheim? Hello, Anaheim?), and get off at the Messe…

…then let’s see the best of what Hall 4.0—the infamous guitar hall, which is the next loudest thing to the “drum hall” (a/k/a “auditory hell on earth”)—has to offer. There is no audio to supplement the images, but to emulate the true Messe experience, load 23 independent streams of hard rock music, and turn up the volume to where your speakers distort (or melt, whichever comes first).

Here are three guitars from ESP. The one with the skulls is a favorite of New Age artists.

Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Italia guitars had some fun stuff. This one looks like it had a litter of baby pickups.

Another Italia. This looks suspiciously like a Rickenbacker 12-string, but check out the control panel in the lower right. Kirk to bridge…

I wanted to see if the security guard at Gibson looking over the world’s most valuable guitar had maybe loosened up a bit since yesterday. Nope. He gets my vote for Secretary of Defense.

Attached Files

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

This Skylark guitar is one of a series with graphics representing cities, in this case Paris. Ooh la la! Makes me want to pick it up off the wall and play some Serge Gainsbourg.

Lariat makes some really interesting instruments. Here are two that forced my iPhone to take a picture. I was concerned that if I got too close to the second one it would bite me, but I was actually quite friendly and apparently, a vegan. No worries.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

And here are two instruments from Marusczyk.

You can always count on TV Jones to provide Frankfurt-worthy photo ops.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Inya Vinen Company had a guitar which appears ready to play some kind of checkers, and an 8-string bass. Or maybe it’s an 8-string guitar. Or maybe a weird variation on a Chapman Stick. I needed two hands to play it, but then I had no hands left to pluck the strings. Maybe I should read the manual.

And now, for all the people who want guitars with more technology, here are three pix of the Relish guitars. The first two are photos of posters because the company wouldn’t me take the guitar apart so I could take pictures, even though I brought my own chain saw.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-16-2015, 06:02 AM.

- George Carlin

Comment

Check out these Faber guitars. Call me crazy, but they keep reminding me of other guitars.

Danelectro had the re-issues with the lipstick pickups, but those don’t qualify as freaks. This one does.

O3 (or maybe it’s O with a really stylized Z) had a really shiny bass. Like raccoons I’m attracted to shiny objects, hence this photo.

Soultool had a guitar with pictures of women, and another optimized for self-defense in hostile clubs. I’m sure there’s some kind of connection.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Vice Guitars…what can I say? These look like guitars that a science-fiction movie from 1958 would say people will play in the future. Or the last one might have been found in a mining camp on one of Jupiter’s moons

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Claas Guitars took their instruments to new levels of freakishness. I dig that blue finish! In the last shot, we were privileged to witness the rare site of a mother bass giving birth to a baby boy bass.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

With a name like elyra, I was expecting an electric lyre. Instead, we got…something that wasn’t an electric lyre.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

J. Joye made me do a double-take on those bridges, and then there was the guitar that looked like it had been put in a time capsule in 1964 and opened just before Messe.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Don’t know why so many guitars this year decided that if you were only going to have one cutaway the side without the cutaway should look like it’s trying to grow toward the nut, but Corona (not to be confused with the Mexican beer, we’re in Germany) was all in.

And then there was what could only be described as a Flower Power guitar.

The Spear guitar. More shiny. Shiny was big.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Remember Hagstrom 12-strings during their heyday? Probably not, unless you’ve over 45 years old. But Hagstrom was at the show with some semi-acoustic 12-strings.

This is not a freak of Frankfurt, but Dieter Roesberg. You know who he is if 1) you play guitar or bass and 2) speak German, because he’s the editor of Guitarre & Basse magazine over in Germany. He’s also turned me on to enough freakish guitars over the years I thought it was time for some “thank you” payback.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

So I went to take a photo of a double-neck 12-string that looked sort of like a certain double-neck SG played by Jimmy Page on Guitar Center’s national anthem, “Stairway to Heaven.” However the booth owner was very insistent I not take any pictures, which is kind of odd given that people exhibit at Messe to get attention. However, I do have a reasonably good picture of some fingertips.

A guitar with a turntable you play like a DJ. Carl Jacobson at PreSonus took me to where this guy had been, but he was nowhere to be found so I couldn’t find out any details. But to show his selfless support of Harmony Central, Carl emailed a picture he had instead of trying to sell it to the National Enquirer. Thanks, Carl.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

And now, because we can, we’ll close out with pictures of some guitars from Ogre…and throw in one with a twisted pedal as well…because we can. And because they didn’t try to stop us.

Okay, it’s 2 AM so time to go to sleep. Probably shouldn’t have ended with the Ogres, who knows what kind of dreams I’ll have tonight. In any event, I’ll be back to tomorrow for more “Fun in Frankfurt.” See you then, after taking in what I must say is an outstanding breakfast here at the Radisson Blu.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

WoW!! I've never seen so many dysfunctions of engineering in all my life...Who in the f-ing hell would ever try and take a stage with some of these beasts?
                              UNBELIEVABLY BRILLIANT DESIGN COUPLED WITH EXTRAORDINARILY BAD TASTE....in most cases, still there are a few winners...
                              Last edited by Temple of Light; 04-16-2015, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X