X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Anderton's Photos and Show Report from Musikmesse

Craig is in beautiful, sunny Frankfurt, and getting ready for Musikmesse. He's sending us photos and captions for them and has asked us to put them up for him, so while they'll be under my name, read them as if Craig is talking. Because he is.

So without further ado...
    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-15-2015, 12:32 AM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Granted, the show hasn’t started yet. But I’m here, I have an iPhone, and I’m going to use it. So there. We’ll have more pictures in the days ahead, and I can’t really spill the beans about stuff that won’t show up until Wednesday, but here’s some fun stuff to kick things off.

The view from Harmony Central’s Messe Command Center. The weather is gorgeous…sure beats having Messe in February. In the background, you can see construction for the new Harmony Central Messe Command Center, which should be completed in time for the 2016 show and has several T1 lines, a cafeteria, movie theater, demo showroom, and heliport. And yes, I’m delusional but you would be too after having it rain inside the flight cabin…long story.

I have no idea what this is, but I suppose I’ll find out tomorrow. If anyone saw the 1950’s sci-fi B movie “The Brain from Planet Arous,” that might be a clue. Or it might involve half a golf ball.

The iconic Messeturm, the second tallest building in Europe, looks over the Messe fairgrounds. The Messe complex is huge. I think it’s necessary to set my watch to a different time zone when I go from one end to the other.

Does this mean that a certain European company is diversifying into entirely new areas? Well let’s face it, musical instruments are aren’t a necessity but waste disposal is always relevant. This might be a really good idea.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 07:54 PM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Here’s what amazes me about trade shows. See all this crap? It’s the afternoon before the show opens, and the place looks like a natural disaster out of a movie from The Asylum (without the sharks, of course). I went back at 10 PM to check the show floor and most of it still didn’t look ready for prime yet. The only explanation I can think of is that there really are elves, and they tidy everything up between 3 AM and 9 AM.

No, not Jeff Beck, or the Beck-who-won-the-Grammy-this-year-no-one-expected, but actual beer, ready for consumption on the show floor. The bar seats will see a lot of action over the next four days.

I love the Zynaptiq guys. First, they come up with software that does things others would think is impossible, like remove reverb or make MP3s sound better. Second, they are extra-terrestrials, which always makes for lively conversations about whether the Alpha Centaurians have really, truly emulated vacuum tube characteristics or not (personally, I’m not convinced). Meanwhile, they try to pass themselves off as Germans so as not to attract too much attention to themselves by using screen savers such as this.

Does anyone know what a motorcycle is doing at the Korg booth? Are they about to start competing with Yamaha? Or is this merely a way to navigate the immense size of the Messe? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dendy Jarrett; 04-14-2015, 08:02 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

I don’t remember seeing this last year, although perhaps I was taken to the Beck’s booth too many times. According to the signage it’s about sound storage media, publishing labels, music publishers, audio and video studios, pressing shops, concert organizers, festival and virtual marketing platforms, universities, and more. If this is about marketing, I guess it leverages a synergistic collection of eyeballs to engage 360 degree experiences where the rubber meets the road, to curate virtual end-to-end content based on low-hanging fruit. Or something like that.

Allen & Heath always has interesting stuff. Let’s see what they’re going to unleash this year.

Elektron has come up with analog VST/AU plug-ins. Normally that would be hard to believe, but they’re Elektron, and they’re Swedish, so I’m sure it’s true.

Frankfurt Musikmesse is one of the few places on earth where having a booth with stuffed animal monkeys, speakers in primary colors, and massive amounts of vegetation actually makes sense. Well, at least to me.
        Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Sweetwater GearFest fave Fab Dupont said he was going to be doing some insane “record and mix a heavy metal song in 90 minutes” at GearFest. At least that’s what I think he said. Guess I’ll have to go to GearFest to find out.

Anyone who doesn’t agree with the sentiments expressed in this T-shirt probably ended up here by accident, thinking “Harmony Central” was a dating site. It’s not. But frankly, you wouldn’t be the first person who attracted members of the opposite sex (or the same one, for that matter) because you played music. Just sayin’…

Roland’s Aira goodies have become so popular they had their own booth.

PreSonus said they had something really interesting to show me. I said I didn’t see what was that interesting about black cloth, but they said it’s what was under the black cloth, and then they mumbled something about “moving faders” and “come back tomorrow.”

Proof that Dream Theater’s Jordan Rudess isn’t just one helluva keyboard player, but he’s willing to put up with some guy from Harmony Central saying “Hey, it would be cool to have you stand under that poster of you at CME keyboards…”
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 05:38 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

I’m not above using my connections to get scoops on Gibson stuff. Gibson showed a Guiness World Records certified world’s most valuable guitar ($2,000,000), a collaboration between Aaron Shum, artist/musician Mark Lui, and some guitar company in Tennessee whose name escapes me at the moment. Called the Eden of CORONET, it was brought in by security guards and if you look closely, you can see the guy on the right clearly doesn’t trust me.

Here’s the guitar in its case. Somehow I don’t think it was checked baggage on a United Airlines flight, if you know what I mean.

Check out those diamonds! Rumor has it that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi will be playing it at the Gibson booth in a special appearance (yes, it’s playable).

And just in case you didn’t believe me, here’s the certification from Guinness. So there.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

Philippe Reynaud of AudioFanzine, another cool web site for musicians. A while back he wanted to buy Harmony Central, and Gibson wanted to buy Harmony Central. But neither of us succeeded, so Gibson wanted to know if AudioFanzine was for sale. It wasn’t, but now we have Harmony Central and Philippe still has AudioFanzine, so there is now balance in the Force…and I suspect some possible collaborations in the future.

We still have many days to go, but so far this gets the “Hair of the Show” award.

I honestly have no idea what this booth is about, but it’s obvious they have good taste in speakers. I suspect it may have something to do with time travel, a journey to the center of the earth, or the X-Files reboot.

Look what Softube is up to now…has anyone noticed all the cool stuff coming out of Sweden is way out of proportion to the population density?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 05:38 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

The Swedish invasion continues with the Nord 5.

And more Swedish stuff! The Nord Stage 2 EX.

Can’t afford that trendy Apple watch that’s slower than molasses anyway? No worries! Get an iPod Nano with a custom iWatchz strap, then use the display to show the time (I think that’s what watches are for, right?). And you can still play tunes on it.

Oh no! You lost the nails holding that picture of Dave Grohl in your booth! There are scuff marks on that white pedestal showing off you latest keyboard! You have no gaffer’s tape! Never fear, there’s a section of Messe that kind of looks like a combination hardware store and art supply store. Somehow, I suspect everything sells for list price…know what I mean?
                Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

Convention center food-like substances at the end of the day…enough said. I apologize in advance if you were reading this while having lunch.

I’ve been going to Messe since the mid-80s, and this signs marks the single most important upgrade that ever happened in its history. Until this was put into effect several years ago, it was better just to burn the clothes you wore at Messe rather than try and get the smell out.

Call me crazy, but there’s just something highly appealing about an Orange speaker cabinet with a stained glass front.

A picture of a double-neck guitar, because no one can resist taking a picture of a double-neck guitar.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 08:29 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

“Hey Craig, want to go to an art gallery tonight?” So I ended up at an art opening called “In the Eye of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hurricane” that honored photographer Neal Preston, whose photos of rock luminaries are astonishing. He truly nails the rock and roll experience. The party was packed—here it was early in the evening.

But this opening also had a charitable component, and $50,000 was presented on behalf of Neal (right) to Lori Rubinstein from Behind the Scenes, which provides assistance to stage crews and the other unsung heroes of live performance who’ve fallen on hard times due to medical reasons. So yes, I bought a copy of the book…and Neal signed it.

Fingerpicker extraordinaire Doyle Dykes entertained the crowd, and had several people wondering where the other guitarist was hidden. There wasn’t any.

Attached Files

- George Carlin

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                      AlamoJoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Truthfully...You had me at Sausage...And the Double neck....But more truthfully..At sausage...'Cuz I got a shot at sausage..

Let’s close out with a sampling of some of Neal’s pictures. Here’s Jimmy Page, Frank Zappa, and an unidentified cockatoo.

Freddie Mercury doing his thing at his height.

A video from Brian May showing one of his favorite Preston photos.

Jimmy Page

The Rolling Stones
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-15-2015, 02:08 AM.

- George Carlin

Comment

James Brown

Prince

Robert Plant

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

Brian Eno, John Lee Hooker, Freddie Mercury, Pete Townshend

Stevie Wonder

Dr. Dre

Bob Marley

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 04-14-2015, 08:28 PM.

- George Carlin

Comment

I love great photography...And to have two of my heroes there...Hooker and Townshend...Great...Once saw Hooker close enough to shake his hand...Didn't dare try..Too much respect, and scared he'd fall off the stage...He was drunker than a monkey...But my Lord...The power...The Power....Townshend...Woulda needed a Long range firearm to git his attention. Still...Got to see him and The WHO......great photos ..Thanks so much for these great posts Phil...
                          http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X