Getting started with a Pedal board

• Members

Overdrive: Robbie Calvo Soul Driver 2 channels, built in compressor

Delay: On the less expensive side, TC Electronics Flashback

On the more expensive side, I've heard great things about the Boss DD500

Personally, I'm using a Strymon Timeline

For a boost: Xotic Effects EP Booster

For a wah, the Dunlop Crybaby is probably the most popular.

Good luck!!

• Members
Overdrive: Robbie Calvo Soul Driver 2 channels, built in compressor

Delay: On the less expensive side, TC Electronics Flashback

On the more expensive side, I've heard great things about the Boss DD500

Personally, I'm using a Strymon Timeline

For a boost: Xotic Effects EP Booster

For a wah, the Dunlop Crybaby is probably the most popular.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the fast reply!

The sound of those padels are great! But do you think it would be worth it to start with such expensive padels right away? Or would it make more sense to start out with some cheaper ones until i get used to it and know what kind i really want?

• Members

It really depends on what your end goal is. Pedals like the TC delay are pretty cheap as delays go, and SUPER functional. If you're not going to get crazy with a delay pedal, it may be all you ever need. I like the Strymon because in my fairly complex setup, it takes midi input for the tempo control. That's not something most people use or care about. The Soul Driver *really* isn't that bad considering what it is: It's a compressor (prior, I had an Xotic SP, which ran about $130), and *two* overdrives in one box. The reality is that you probably wouldn't need a booster if you were using that, as you could just use the higher gain channel as your lead boost. You could probably buy a used Crybaby for $50ish., Shoot, I'd give you mine for that, as I never use it, but the shipping from HI would be killer.

For myself, I try to buy what I think I want out of the gate because I feel like I'm throwing money away if I have to buy something, then replace it later. I also know how lazy I am about selling off the old stuff.

• Members

i would recommend not to buy a bunch of pedals at once, because there will be too much at once which is new to you.

start with one pedal a time, test out its features and behaviour, "learn" to use it, once you found your thing with the pedal, move on and add the next

it does not matter with what you start, start with the efx that seems most important to you now.

i would just not start with a delay pedal, cause they tend to be the most complicated pedals and its harder to learn to play with them

• Members
i would recommend not to buy a bunch of pedals at once, because there will be too much at once which is new to you.

start with one pedal a time, test out its features and behaviour, "learn" to use it, once you found your thing with the pedal, move on and add the next

it does not matter with what you start, start with the efx that seems most important to you now.

i would just not start with a delay pedal, cause they tend to be the most complicated pedals and its harder to learn to play with them

Excellent advice here.

I think that's some excellent advice... but OTOH, I think there's something to be said for starting with something like a Line 6 M9 multi-effects modeler too, since it gives you access to so many different things, which, while overwhelming, allows you to find out exactly what you do and don't like, at which point you can move on to the "real" individual pedals... or not.

• Moderators

It also has to do with your budget, and what you are doing musically. If you're gigging regularly, then get the gear you need, spend time with it, find settings you like and go. If you are just playing at home, or occasionally jamming with friends, it doesn't make a lot of sense to plunk down 100+ per pedal...and worse to do that and find you now want a chorus, a reverb pedal, a compressor, a buffer...As was said earlier, start with the pedal that you feel you will get the most out of. Work with it, then add another.

Your current want list of:

Overdrive

Tremolo

Delay

Boost

Wah wah

will no doubt expand as you go...mine did; I did something similar this year because I am playing with a pretty eclectic 'originals' band [one of 3 bands I play with], but I also am 'fund restricted' to making the gear pay for itself. Anyone who plays in an all originals band in LA [or anywhere, I guess] will tell you there ain't much money in it, so I started out with inexpensive stuff, and have been upgrading and swapping as we gig. I am on my second distortion, second buffer, second compressor, third delay [i use two, one for slapback, one for long deep 500-600ms] plus a clean boost and an inexpensive chorus.

I am getting ready to open my own Reverb store ;)

I bought a pristine used Cry Baby on Reverb; it was the second largest cash outlay, and gets used the least, go figure.

Aside from the CryBaby, my outlay for the entire pedal board is under $300, including the case, power supplies cables, connectors. I will qualify that, because I actually got a very nice and pricey Ana Sounds Delay for free, but it led me to drop my BBE dual delay, and add the second delay for slapback]

I also wanted it to be tiny, easy to pack and store, and quick to setup / tear down...this is the current config: [ATTACH=CONFIG]n32027274[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much! I'm sorry i'm completely new here and still a bit overwhelmed...so thank you for helping out ;)

No problem at all - I'm here to help. :) If you need help with anything, please feel free to drop me a private message - just click on my name, then on the box that says private message, then type it in. :wave:

• Members

Get a line buffer to lower the impedance of the guitar.

I use two multi effects board with a VHT Valvulator 1 as the first thing my guitar plugs into and another one at the end of my pedalboard before going to my amp.

Do you know the standard order to put you pedals in ?

The usual order is to put a compressor. Distortion, Wah Wah, noise gate, Eq, modulation ( chorus, flanger, phaser) delay and finally, reverb.

• Members
Get a line buffer to lower the impedance of the guitar.

I use two multi effects board with a VHT Valvulator 1 as the first thing my guitar plugs into and another one at the end of my pedalboard before going to my amp.

Do you know the standard order to put you pedals in ?

The usual order is to put a compressor. Distortion, Wah Wah, noise gate, Eq, modulation ( chorus, flanger, phaser) delay and finally, reverb.

Well the right order is an interesting topic, too.

Where do you put your Tuner and your Loopstation?

Loopstation at the end i think that you can record all the effects, right? And Tuner doesn't really matter or am i wrong with that?

• Members

Well the right order is an interesting topic, too.

Where do you put your Tuner and your Loopstation?

Loopstation at the end i think that you can record all the effects, right? And Tuner doesn't really matter or am i wrong with that?

Tuner first, looper last.

Archived