Reamp Box and Reaper Questions

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reamp Box and Reaper Questions

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at getting a reamp box (probably a Radial ProRMP), but have a few questions before I do.

My gear would be a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface, reamp box, active D.I. box, into REAPER.

#1 . My first question is, is it possible to reamp a track while listening to the rest of the mix in real time. For example if I had a project with vox, drums, bass, guitars, etc. And wanted to run the vocals trough a guitar effect pedal like a reverb pedal could I be listening to the mix through my monitors or headphones and reamping the vocals through the reverb at the same time. As in could I be making adjustments to the reverb on the vocal track while fitting the sound to fit the overall mix.

Same with guitar amps can I be reamping a D.I. guitar track through an amp while playing back the rest of the instruments to get the guitar tone to fit the overall mix better.

#2 . My second question is, if I can reamp tracks in real time how do I setup up Reaper to do this? I know how to hook everything up as far as cables, but not sure about how to setup the tracks in Reaper or the routing in the Scarlett MixControl.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. I'm new to posting on forums, so if I asked a question that's been answered or put this in the wrong place, or anything, just let me know.

Thanks again!

bump

Welcome to these forums Perhaps visit Reaper's excellent user forums? You're on the right track with Radial and Focusrite gear. I've been using Reaper for 10 years, but never re-amped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele18 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I am looking at getting a reamp box (probably a Radial ProRMP), but have a few questions before I do.

My gear would be a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface, reamp box, active D.I. box, into REAPER.

#1 . My first question is, is it possible to reamp a track while listening to the rest of the mix in real time. For example if I had a project with vox, drums, bass, guitars, etc. And wanted to run the vocals trough a guitar effect pedal like a reverb pedal could I be listening to the mix through my monitors or headphones and reamping the vocals through the reverb at the same time. As in could I be making adjustments to the reverb on the vocal track while fitting the sound to fit the overall mix.

Yes, it should be possible to do what you want... although there's a caveat: Latency. The signal takes a perceptible amount of time to go through your interface and converters and that can affect what you're hearing, making it sound several milliseconds "late". There are various ways of compensating for that, and for the best approach with Reaper you should talk to someone who uses that program - I run a Pro Tools HD rig, which greatly simplifies the latency issues for me.

The good news is that your interface has multiple inputs and outputs, so you don't have to give up your monitor (1/2?) outputs to "feed" the reamp box - you can use one of the other line outputs (3/4) instead.

The basic idea is that you assign the vocal track in Reaper to line output 3 on your interface. Connect that (via a 1/4" cable) to the effects pedal. Use the level control in Reaper for the track to adjust how hard you "hit" the pedal to get the desired signal to noise ratio, and plug the output of the pedal back in using the high-impedance input on your interface (the 1/4" "instrument in" in the middle of the XLR jack) or with a DI box. Assign that input to a NEW track, and record-enable it. Make sure the original track is NOT assigned to the stereo mix - you only want it going out line output 3. Monitor the "new" track to hear the effected signal.

You can also use an aux send and assign it to line output 3 - if you configure it that way, it has the advantage of allowing you to monitor the source track too, as well as the effected return signal.

Same with guitar amps can I be reamping a D.I. guitar track through an amp while playing back the rest of the instruments to get the guitar tone to fit the overall mix better.
      The process is basically the same except you'll be using a mic to re-record the reamped guitar track.

#2 . My second question is, if I can reamp tracks in real time how do I setup up Reaper to do this? I know how to hook everything up as far as cables, but not sure about how to setup the tracks in Reaper or the routing in the Scarlett MixControl.
      Again, for that I would have to refer you to a Reaper and Scarlett users - sorry!

p.s. I'm new to posting on forums, so if I asked a question that's been answered or put this in the wrong place, or anything, just let me know.
      No, not at all - welcome to HC!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
      X