Babe in home recording woods desperately needs help

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe in home recording woods desperately needs help

Hi,
    Am a complete and absolute, newby dunce when it comes to digital home recording.
    But here goes: I am an amateur bassist, sometimes playing (usually free) gigs in a "garage band". I would like to do covers for well known rock tunes.
    I've got a powerful 64 bit desktop computer running Windows Prof 7, which includes MovieMaker ("MM").
    I've also downloaded a growing library of Mp3 files (usually converted from Youtube clips using the Mp3 converter program).
    Also have a basic web cam; and one of those guitar jack-to-USB cables to connect my bass strainght to computer.
    I would like to simultaneously record video and audio of myself playing bass to the Mp3 files, at the same time as the Mp3 is also being recorded MINUS its bass component.
    While listening to the Mp3 I have been able to do the video and bass recording through MovieMaker. But I'm unable to record the Mp3 file.
    Moreover, there is no apparent monitoring function in MM!
    This means I have to bring my ear closer to the strings I am playing to hear myself play, a totally unsatisfactory and very frustrating situation.
    However, surprisingly when I play back the (video) recording, I can hear that MM's audio recording function is quite good, producing a rich, round bass tone.
    It's also possible to import into MM the Mp3 in order to stitch the file to the video. So far; no good: Am very bad at this task!!
    I've tried recording in Audacity, but this program suffers from serious latency; no good!
    I'm about to take delivery of a Focusrite 2i2 audio interface which I am told will solve some of my problems.
    I guess, based on the above, and reviewing the equipment I have (and about to get: the Focusrite) I would greatly appreciate somone with more knowledge than me to give me a step-by-literal-step guide on how to achieve what I want to do. Ultimately the goal is to create files to upload to Youtube! (And that's one more learning curve ahead of me!)
    If anyone has the time and patience to do this, they are probably guaranteed a place in their Heaven of choice!
    Cheers,
    Fred Jansohn

Not sure that USB Dongle will do the trick. You really need an audio interface. Once you have the interface you can install its ASIO Drivers. Once the ASIO Drivers are installed, The DAW program will recognize the Hardware properly and run at low latency.

Wight now you're probably trying to run through your Windows sound card with windows drivers. That's consumer junk that's designed for audio playback or recording say music from a cassette deck or turn table. Its not capable of recording professionally with low latency and most DAW programs will ignore built in sound cards.

Get an interface and then connect your monitors to that interface. (an interface is an internal or external sound card designed for recording. It can be PCI, PCIe, USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt.) You can pick up something like a Lexicon 2 channel interface for $50 and it comes with Cubase LE. Others that's popular are the M-audio, Art, Focusrite. Make sure they can record at professional sample rates. I usually use 24/48, but 24/44.1 will still work. Most should be able to record up to 24/96.

Once you have the hardware and drivers working with the DAW program, you have to convert the MP3 to a wave file that matches what you have the daw set for. You cant be recording bass at 24/44.1 or even 16/44.1 and import an MP3. Most dows wont import MP3's even because they are sub grade quality formats.

So, if you have the DAW set to record bass at say 24/44.1, you convert the MP3 to 24/44.1 with a conversion program. You can download these for free. Then you can import the song as a stereo wave file into the DAW, then Arm your new bass track, and record the bass as the music track is playing back. With a 2 channel interface you can do vocals and record bass at the same time if you want.

You can also split the audio coming out of the interface and connect it to a video camera and video tape the music live as you're recording and playing back.

The key is the Interface uses zero latency monitoring and it syncs the recording and playback so you don't hear that delay.

Comment

Working...
    X