Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good call, you definitely may. There is no need to if you are loosening the rod, but if you are going to tighten it considerably, you will want to loosen the strings.

...Because if you don't, you're tightening the truss rod against the pull of the strings?

I'm having a hard time getting the bow out of my Carvin
    Modulus Mob Member #5

"The right to oppose, mock, deride and even insult people's beliefs is essential to a society where bad ideas are superseded by better ones. There is no right to have one's emotional sensibilities protected, for it is no business of government to legislate for people's feelings." - The Times

Comment

right on brutha - DAMN THE MAN!!!

+1

Comment

I'm having a hard time getting the bow out of my Carvin

If you remove the string tension and you tighten the rod and you physically assist the movement of the neck with your hands, you should see movement with a quarter to half turn of the rod, unless there is something funny going on. When people have brought instruments to me that they can't get the bow out it has occasionally been because the truss rod is busted, but it is most often because the truss rod needs to be tightened considerably before it even takes effect. In other words, the nut on the truss rod isn't creating ANY compressive force, it is just free spinning. It is easy to tell based on the resistance of the nut if you have experience, but without feeling it myself, I'd suggest that you have to be extremely cautious when tightening a neck.
        HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
        Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Hey Kindness..

would you mind teribly if I copy and paste your bass set-up thread to another forum?

I will give you full credit of course and a link back to HCBF FAQ

Comment

Hey Kindness..

would you mind teribly if I copy and paste your bass set-up thread to another forum?

I will give you full credit of course and a link back to HCBF FAQ

Wait for my update and it will be yours to do with whatever you wish, especially if it helps get the info to more people.

More about me:
            Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Wait for my update and it will be yours to do with whatever you wish, especially if it helps get the info to more people.

Thanks Bro...
              I will keep my eye out for your update

Comment

Exactly.

If you remove the string tension and you tighten the rod and you physically assist the movement of the neck with your hands, you should see movement with a quarter to half turn of the rod, unless there is something funny going on. When people have brought instruments to me that they can't get the bow out it has occasionally been because the truss rod is busted, but it is most often because the truss rod needs to be tightened considerably before it even takes effect. In other words, the nut on the truss rod isn't creating ANY compressive force, it is just free spinning. It is easy to tell based on the resistance of the nut if you have experience, but without feeling it myself, I'd suggest that you have to be extremely cautious when tightening a neck.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the truss rod is free spinning. It's not turning very easily though - probably because I'm turning against the pull of the strings. The nut was at the very top of the threaded bit of the truss rod - my guess is that it's never been touched since initial factory setup in 1993.

I physically assist the neck by putting the bass on the ground (standing up), clamping the bridge part of the bass between my feet and carefully nudging the back of the neck with my knee, while tightening the truss rod.

Would you advise against using lubricants like WD-40 on truss rods that haven't been adjusted in ages?
                Modulus Mob Member #5

"The right to oppose, mock, deride and even insult people's beliefs is essential to a society where bad ideas are superseded by better ones. There is no right to have one's emotional sensibilities protected, for it is no business of government to legislate for people's feelings." - The Times

Comment

Would you advise against using lubricants like WD-40 on truss rods that haven't been adjusted in ages?

Ideally you can loosen the nut entirely, take it out and use a heavy grease or other lubricant on the threads and the nut. Then rethread the nut and it should spin a lot easier. If that isn't possible, spraying a little lubricant into the nut might do alright, but remember that the wood in the cavity is unfinished and will absorb fluids. You don't want to soak the neck woods with WD-40 and create more problems.

More about me:
                  Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

You are probably right. This also supports the idea that the nut needs to be tightened before it really starts having an effect.

I think we were on the right track. After 2.5 turn of completely no effect, the neck starts to move now. Excellent. I'll leave her for a day now and do some more tomorrow. Thanks!
                    Modulus Mob Member #5

Comment

I think we were on the right track. After 2.5 turn of completely no effect, the neck starts to move now. Excellent. I'll leave her for a day now and do some more tomorrow. Thanks!

You're welcome.

More about me:
                      Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Thanks Kindness.

My project this spring is to buy a MiM Jazz and then update it...little by little...into something that would rival a world-class bass. Or at least as close as I can get it.
                        Goofball's mood for today:

How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure..." -- Charles Crumb (1942-1994)

Comment

My project this spring is to buy a MiM Jazz and then update it...little by little...into something that would rival a world-class bass. Or at least as close as I can get it.

...I recently did that Goofball, This is a pic of my MIM now...

Modulus Mob Member #3
                          MaxMaroon ...My stuff
                          MaroonTube ...My Youtube Channel
                          XXX tHE OwL ...original hiphop/rock
                          Flock of Aholes ...80's Hits
                          Modulus Genesis VJ w/Villex PU's
                          Fender 62 reissue Jazz bass w/Lane Poor PU's
                          Ernie Ball Stingray fretless
                          Aguilar DB750
                          Aguilar GS410
                          Acme Low B4 II
                          Ampeg B-15r
                          ...Work Hard, Play Hard, Don't throw up^

Comment

BBBBBWWHWHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's a Ritter Royal Roya isn't it?

Comment

...I recently did that Goofball, This is a pic of my MIM now...

Looks like you went a little crazy on the neck-joint screws
                              Goofball's mood for today:

How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure..." -- Charles Crumb (1942-1994)

Comment

What happened to the original text? It's gone...
                                Kevin

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/
                                Banned 7/22/09-7/29/09
                                Basses
                                '73 Fender Telecaster Bass
                                '85 Modulus Quantum 6 Thruneck Custom Pre-Serial
                                '86 G&L L2000 Fretless
                                Opus 5 String "Frankenwood" Fretless
                                Ibanez BTB455QM
                                Fender Jaguar Bass
                                Peavey GV
                                Rigs
                                GBE-750 w/ Neox 212T
                                Carvin PB-150/or Sunn Concert Bass & JBL loaded 1-15"cab
                                Orange Crush 35B

Comment

Working...
                                X