• Show
Clear All

Thanks.
    HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

They didn't make this a sticky? Damn... good thing I bookmarked it

Jazz handles the FAQ. I think he is planning on adding this.
      Please be our friend on Facebook. Click here, click like.

Comment

I'm setting up one of my basses, dropped a full step on all strings with .110's.

I was surprised how much I needed to loosen the truss rod. It was fine in the winter. How does the climate change the neck?

Also, do your guidelines still serve a good starting point with large strings and dropped tuning?

Thanks again.

Yo.
        Myspace * Need some pedal board Velcro? * Clips and Songs
        ***Looking for a black SWR 2x12***

Comment

I think I'm having an intonation issue, but I'm not sure. Here it goes. After I tune my E, I'd fret the 5th, but the tuner would read A but slightly flat. I move to the 7th, and I get even flatter B. So, then I try your intonation test method. I fret the 12th, and let harmonics ring on the 12th. Well, they match up pretty well. So, I'm not sure where this problem starts. When I'm just playing, it rarely sounds off, but it does sound off sometimes.

My guesses
          1. My current tuner is inept. (PodXT onboard)
          2. My fretting fingers are inept.
          3. My bass needs your TLC.

I get my tuner back today, so I'll try again.
          Daaaaa Bearrrrrssssss

Comment

Also, do your guidelines still serve a good starting point with large strings and dropped tuning?

Good question. The short answer is yes. The longer explanation is, the heavier gauge the string, the more likely you need to jack the action up a bit. However, the difference between an E string and an A string might only be five to ten thousandths of an inch. However, the difference between what is an ideal height on the E string for me and the ideal height of the E string for someone like Catphish might be forty thousandths. What you want to do is get close with a measurement, adjust to taste, normalize the heights across the radius of the board and then do a final measurement so the next time you setup the bass you already know exactly what heights you want. That is the key, you will be able to repeat a consistent setup across instruments and over time if you know what measurements work for you.

More about me:
            Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

I think I'm having an intonation issue, but I'm not sure. Here it goes. After I tune my E, I'd fret the 5th, but the tuner would read A but slightly flat. I move to the 7th, and I get even flatter B. So, then I try your intonation test method. I fret the 12th, and let harmonics ring on the 12th. Well, they match up pretty well. So, I'm not sure where this problem starts. When I'm just playing, it rarely sounds off, but it does sound off sometimes.

My guesses
              1. My current tuner is inept. (PodXT onboard)
              2. My fretting fingers are inept.
              3. My bass needs your TLC.

I get my tuner back today, so I'll try again.

My guess is your current tuner is not precise enough to make optimal adjustments. However, the amount of downward force applied to the string behind the fret and the distance the string has to travel towards the fretboard to contact the fret both create variances in intonation. How flat are these notes measuring and are you fretting them directly behind each fret with the same amount of force applied to each note?

(You can bring the bass to me anytime.)

More about me:
              Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

*Snipped help*

Thanks a lot.

Yo.
                Myspace * Need some pedal board Velcro? * Clips and Songs
                ***Looking for a black SWR 2x12***

Comment

Word.

More about me:
                  Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

You're right about how much pressure I apply. I wasn't getting a consistant reading because of that. Noob mistake. And, the tuner had something to do with it, too! I got my Peterson back, and it's in a much better shape now. I will bring it anyways next time.
                    Daaaaa Bearrrrrssssss

Comment

You're right about how much pressure I apply. I wasn't getting a consistant reading because of that. Noob mistake. And, the tuner had something to do with it, too! I got my Peterson back, and it's in a much better shape now. I will bring it anyways next time.

I am omniscient.

More about me:
                      Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

I'm beginning to believe it's true.
                        Daaaaa Bearrrrrssssss

Comment

Rummy - your post brings up a systemic issue with setting up instruments. You witnessed first hand how your left hand pressure affects intonation. No matter how well you are able to set up the instrument, your playing style is going to impact things like intonation. Thus, the best setups factor in the players style. This is one reason it helps to know how to do your own setups, you know your style better than anyone else.

More about me:
                          Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

*cough* er...why has the informative part of the thread been removed? and I can't find your pdf's anymore kindness...
                            Warwick Streamer LX4
                            Washburn T25
                            X2 XDS-95 Wireless
                            Boss TU-2 Tuner
                            MC-FX Looper
                            NOC3 Pure Drive
                            Ibanez PD7
                            Washburn A-F4 Flanger
                            Boss CE-2B Chorus
                            Boss DD-3 Delay
                            Eden WT-550
                            Genz Benz GBE1200
                            Bergantino NV610

Ludavico

Originally Posted by Jazz Ad

Replacing a GB with an Eden. Whoah.
                            You sir have brass plated balls.

Comment

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744009

More about me:
                              Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Jeez, feel like I'm on TB or something all of a sudden getting hit with all this "knowledge"...

Yeah, I agree !!

Makes you realise all the other *@~# you get hit with here

Comment

Working...
                                X