Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindness

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one more thing....I didnt take the Pick guard off but it doesnt look like an Allen key for the Truss rod on this bass...it looks like a slotted end....

It is. Probably a #3 Phillips, but you will know what it is when you see it.
    HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Bump, and someone move this to the FAQs
      Warwick Thumb 6BO> GK 700rb > GK NEO 410 I don't play your "wrong notes" - I just have a creative use of the chromatic scale in my atonal explorations! - i_wanna_les_paul Talkbass is for terrorists and communist scum. - Kingmaker I'm thinking of doing Postgraduate study in Costume Design....then I can be a Master of Disguise. - FreestyleIntruder

Comment

Oh and by the way Kindness, my Ibanez BTB has the trussrod covers on the headstock. I need to loosen the strings in order to adjust them (yes, there's 2 trussrods, it's a 6er) does this prevent an accurate setup? I need to add more relief to the lower trussrod (on the side of the neck where the D,G and C strings are) because playing on the first 3 frets is almost impossible. I had it professionally set up when I got it in October and it was great. I changed the strings last month, and then it went downhill...

So is it ok if I loosen the strings?
        Warwick Thumb 6BO> GK 700rb > GK NEO 410 I don't play your "wrong notes" - I just have a creative use of the chromatic scale in my atonal explorations! - i_wanna_les_paul Talkbass is for terrorists and communist scum. - Kingmaker I'm thinking of doing Postgraduate study in Costume Design....then I can be a Master of Disguise. - FreestyleIntruder

Comment

Oh and by the way Kindness, my Ibanez BTB has the trussrod covers on the headstock. I need to loosen the strings in order to adjust them (yes, there's 2 trussrods, it's a 6er) does this prevent an accurate setup? I need to add more relief to the lower trussrod (on the side of the neck where the D,G and C strings are) because playing on the first 3 frets is almost impossible. I had it professionally set up when I got it in October and it was great. I changed the strings last month, and then it went downhill...

So is it ok if I loosen the strings?

Of course. Loosen the strings, remove the cover, loosen the nut on the truss rod. If it is only buzzing on the first three frets, you don't need much more relief, so you probably need between 1/8 and 1/4 of a turn. Leave the cover off and bring the strings back up to pitch. Then check the relief. If you need to loosen or tighten more, do it. When the relief is set, screw the cover back on. Now you have to go through and set the bridge saddle heights, intonation and pickup heights again.

I got finished with one of mine just a few minutes ago, dual truss rod that needed just a small tweak on the treble side. Now I've got her dialed in better than ever.

More about me:
          Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Sweet! I'll give it a try when I get home from work. Thanks

Comment

My pleasure. The threads will eventually make their way to the FAQ and, at the suggestion of another forumite, I will turn my write ups into .pdfs and link them in my signature.

More about me:
              Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

I received a request tonight to talk a bit about setup issues with a fretless bass, particularly a fretless Jazz. My initial thought is, there is no difference except anytime the word fret appears in the write up above, replace it with fingerboard. Aside from hardware considerations (for example, double truss rods, different bridge adjustments, etc.), every bass sets up the same. Jazz basses, Precision basses, fretted basses, fretless basses, etc. You use the same techniques to find the setup you like best for each bass. Maybe you like higher action on a P bass with flats. Maybe you like your fretless J set up with really low action to emphasize the mwah. The two things that are not "adjust to taste" are the relief and the intonation. There are ideal settings for each of those parameters and your overall setup is dependent on getting the bass in those sweet spots.

Now, that said, I will say that I setup my fretless J to have lower action than any of my other basses. Once the relief is dialed in such that the buzzing is even and consistent all along the board, I lower the strings until I get the right amount of mwah. For my playing style that's about 0.060" on the bass side and 0.050" on the treble side.

More about me:
                Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

I tightened up the truss a little on the Daion and lowered the action last night, and now it plays like butter.

Those of you who loved it at the Chicago meet would love it even more with the new strings and setup.
                  -Chris

easy image hosting

top two news words by hour

Comment

I tightened up the truss a little on the Daion and lowered the action last night, and now it plays like butter.

Those of you who loved it at the Chicago meet would love it even more with the new strings and setup.

Good. I knew there was some more playability to get out of that bass, but we ran out of time before I could help. I'm glad you are taking care of that girl. It is a sweet bass.

More about me:
                    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

I looked into some setup tools today..but am still scared to take the plunge.
                      I did order a new Gotot 201 and some GHS progressives for the TF fretless. Turns out the TI's I ordered are 0.43-0.89

Dan

Comment

Those lightweights will sound good on a fretless. Very alive.

You shouldn't need many tools. A measuring tool, a truss rod adjusting tool, and bridge and other screw/nut drivers.

More about me:
                        Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

They didn't make this a sticky? Damn... good thing I bookmarked it
                          ---Look Around, Can You Hear The Sound Of Silent Screaming?---

Bassist for Second Floor Escape - Click for a Listen!

Basses:
                          '79 Wine Red Gibson Grabber
                          Trans White MIA Fender P

Cab:
                          1000W Mesa Powerhouse 1200 Cab

Rack:
                          400W Mesa Bass 400+
                          Korg DTR1000 Tuner
                          Furman M-8Lx Power Conditioner
                          6 Space DJK Rack

Pedals:
                          Fender Blender Reissue Distortion Pedal
                          Korg AX3000B Multi Effects Pedal

Comment

How important is it to set a bass up with brand new strings? Just like my jeans and boots, I like my strings broken in. I change them when they break.

I just got my Stew Mac ruler and I'm ready to set my basses up.

Yo.
                            Myspace * Need some pedal board Velcro? * Clips and Songs
                            ***Looking for a black SWR 2x12***

Comment

It is important to setup your bass with the strings you will be using. If you are going to use older strings, use them to set up the bass. If you are changing to new strings, use them to set up the bass. Every set, and for that matter every individual string, sets up slightly differently than the next. Within reason, it makes no practical difference (swapping out for the same brand, same gauge rarely requires much, if any, tweaking), but the strings you are using are actually a part of the setup itself.

More about me:
                              Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

Wow! This is one of the best threads on the board. Great job Kindness!
                                You might have a favorite book or film, but you can only watch or read it so many times before you have to let it sit and then go back and realize it's your favorite still. At some point everything gets a little stale and you have to step away from it.

Les Claypool
                                -------------------------

Free Political debate at its best:
                                http://www.defendingthetruth.com/forums.php
                                I Moderate here. Feel free to use me as your reference. My username there is tyreay.

Comment

Working...
                                X