Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindness

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've got it backwards. The truss rod counteracts the string tension. If anything you are going to need to tighten it some.

FYI - A 0.045 G round wound G string will have about 43 lbs of tension. A 0.055 flat wound G string might be up near 65 lbs. That's a big difference.
    HCBF Amp Build: Kindness's Links

More about me:
    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• OK, maybe I'm just being paranoid and the tension is within spec. I'll give it another try.

If I remember correctly, I think I did get it all the way up to F, but didn't want to go any tighter.

Thank you for your advice.
      "..all the music in the world isn't worth getting electrocuted for."
      Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
      G&L Militia
      Squier Army
      Member of the SG Army
      Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• My pleasure. Just know that the G string you are using is going to be tight and watch to make sure the neck doesn't start moving.

Any particular reason for flats that heavy?

More about me:
        Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• I got them for free......

Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
          G&L Militia
          Squier Army
          Member of the SG Army
          Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• I expect they will be just fine, but maybe a bit dry sounding compared to a lower gauge or rounds.

More about me:
            Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• My pleasure. Just know that the G string you are using is going to be tight and watch to make sure the neck doesn't start moving.

Also, do you think that the fact it is a plywood body (cheap )may cause the neck/body join to be weaker?
              Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
              G&L Militia
              Squier Army
              Member of the SG Army
              Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• Nope. Plywood is strong. Are you even sure it's plywood? It won't matter. The question will be whether the neck itself and the truss rod stabilizing it are strong enough. They should be, but no promises.

More about me:
                Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• Oh yeah, it's plywood... (what did I expect for $45? lol)

See my mods I just did to it...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180505&postcount=5

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180608&postcount=7
                  Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
                  G&L Militia
                  Squier Army
                  Member of the SG Army
                  Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• Nice work!

Does this mean I need to start scouring the electric guitars forum to find more bass posts? Damnit! Bring the basses to me.

More about me:
                    Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• Yeah, If I would have known someone as helpful as you are was out here, I would have posted here sooner!

Not to get off topic, but do you know where South Miller street is near the University? My mother grew up there and attended school there. I went back there in 2006 for the first time since 1968. They lived right next door to the Miller St. Playlot.
                      Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
                      G&L Militia
                      Squier Army
                      Member of the SG Army
                      Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• Not to get off topic, but do you know where South Miller street is near the University? My mother grew up there and attended school there. I went back there in 2006 for the first time since 1968. They lived right next door to the Miller St. Playlot.

Yeah, of course. I used to live not far from there and would head over to the school for basketball games and concerts and stuff. Lots of good eating on Taylor Street too.

More about me:
                        Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• Hey, maybe we are Paisans....

Anyway, I got the strings on and got them tuned them up. I noticed the action is higher now. I will let it sit a day or two and play with it some more.

Thanks again for your advice and help! Going to bed in a few.. 5:15 am comes too early.

TTYL.....

Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
                          G&L Militia
                          Squier Army
                          Member of the SG Army
                          Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

• @yz250f49: Man, get your bass some Quarterpounder goodness It'll add a lot to your tone. A LOT! It'll probably cost you some 70$, but it'll be worth it. Even get a used one if you can find one. Good luck on the bass playin'!
                            http://myspace.com/fugufish
                            http://fugufish.pl

Comment

• The action is higher because the tension has pulled more bow into the neck. First set up the truss rod under this new tension and go from there.

More about me:
                              Chicago Patent Attorney

Comment

• Hi Kindness, I tightened the truss rod about a 1/4 turn yesterday and it seems the action is a bit lower now. I will check it again tonight or tomorrow, but it's definitly getting better.

I sure like the flatwounds on there and the lack of string noise. Reminds me of the first bass I had back in Jr High in the 60's.

I may try to lower the strings a bit later using the bridge adjustment screws if needed.

Thanks!
                                Aunt Bea

Founder - G&L Militia
                                G&L Militia
                                Squier Army
                                Member of the SG Army
                                Bad Monkey Club

My Guitar Stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X