where to use better cables in signal chain

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to use better cables in signal chain

hi,
    i am "upgrading" my setup and incorporating a couple patchbays in my home studio. i've purchased some cabling that to me seems a step up from HOSA-type cables, but not enough to replace all my lower quality stuf. so my question is, what parts of the signal chain would be most affected by cable quality? i would assume speaker cables would be low on the list, and mic cables would be near the top, but what about the rest? thanks in advance.

--bh

Ok well since we don't know what sort of setup you have:

Try to get the best quality going from your mic/line into your recorder (whether that is through a preamp/board or whatever).

You want your initial recording to be the best quality you can get... cause if that's dirty, then there's nothing that'll really really fix it.
    http://www.macouno.com

Comment

ok, that's what i was assuming. thanks LC. so for those who perhaps did not share because i did not share, here is the basic setup:

--pre's are either outboard or the mixer (AMEK BCII going from insert sends (no direct outs)).

--from AMEK/outboard pre to patchbay to Tascam TSR-8 R2R.

--then TSR-8 to patchbay, to AMEK line ins

--Amek L/R to patchbay to Audiophile 24/96

--I am using outboard effects and compression at various points in the chain as well.

I am sending effects (less compression) via aux sends. i would guess that I could use lower quality here if i had to as the dry tracks are coming through another path.

But as a rule of thumb, would it be safe to say that the farther upstream in the signal chain, the greater the effect of using higher quality cables?

thanks again.

--bh

Comment

Working...
      X