No announcement yet.

phantom powering non-phantom mics

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phantom powering non-phantom mics

what happens if you connect a non-phantom powered mic like a Sennheiser 421 to a mixing desk feeding phantom power to it? Will it break?
    LOGIC 6.4.3
    Audiowerk 2 card
    Mac G4 dual 1 GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 2 x 60GB, OS10.3.6
    200MB allocated to LOGIC

Sometimes but not always it can kill a dynamic but I'm not too sure about that particular one. I see in your sig that you use an emagic card. PC? Mac? I have an older one but never used it too much. How does it sound?

Comment

Oops, I looked again and see that it's Macs you use. DOH.

Comment

Nah, you'll be fine connecting a dynamic or ribbon mic to phantom power source as long as your wiring is correct... phantom power will be blocked the microphones output transformer... but if the wiring is screwed up, you'll have problems.

There are some desks, like Neve consoles and early API and Trident consoles where the phantom power is always on... people have been using ribbon and dynamic mics with them for 30+ years without any adverse effects when the wiring is correct.

I hope this helps to ease your mind.
        CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
        We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

thanks for the replies. Jake - I just PMed ya.

In that case, how does one go about recording an instrument using two mics at the same time when one of those mics requires phantom and the other does not AND the desk only supplies phantom to all inputs or none at all.

(My desk - the Behringer MX2642A 16 track Mixing desk - only has one +48v button and I'm assuming it supplies all inputs at once)

What'S a good "standard" mixing desk with phantom on each channel?

Cheers
          LOGIC 6.4.3
          Audiowerk 2 card
          Mac G4 dual 1 GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 2 x 60GB, OS10.3.6
          200MB allocated to LOGIC

Comment

Originally posted by karambos
            thanks for the replies. Jake - I just PMed ya.

In that case, how does one go about recording an instrument using two mics at the same time when one of those mics requires phantom and the other does not AND the desk only supplies phantom to all inputs or none at all.

Fletcher already answered this. It doesn't matter as long as you are not using incorrectly wired mic cables.
            "(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P

Comment

Working...
            X