Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Firewire Interfaces are compatible with my laptop?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Firewire Interfaces are compatible with my laptop?

Hey guys, I am thinking about putting together a small setup for home recording, and I have some concerns about how to go about it.
    In the past, I have owned several hard disk recorders like the KORG D-1600 MKII, etc. However, this time around I am looking at doing some quality demos on my laptop and I am wondering how to go about this.
    Been shopping around for multi-channel firewire interfaces because the drum mics will need a minimum of 8 channels to record simultaneously (although I could probably run a few BUS).
    I own a Compaq Presario CQ57 and for the most part it does just fine when I do simple track recording, but does a multi-channel firewire recording interface require any special hardware on my laptop? Like special inputs, or jacks, etc.? Also, I read something about a possible problem with the chipsets being incompatible???
    I'm not incredibly computer savvy, but I'm not a total moron either. All I really need to know is if I buy an interface and run Cubase, or a similar program, what else will I need to do to get to recording asap???

Any suggestions???

usb interfaceThis is what I am wanting to get, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with my laptop. Any help???
    Thanks.

Attached Files

Comment

• WRGKMC
      WRGKMC commented
      Editing a comment

That laptop has a dual core but you'll need more memory and bigger hard drive if you expect to do any serious recordings.

You also have the issue with some firewire cards working better than others. Its known thet TX instrument firewire chips work the best. Generics often have dropout issues. You'll just have to try it to know.

The reason for the increased memory is so you can run newer DAW programs. 32 bit systems can run a max of about 4G so thats all you'll need unless you switch to 64 bit which can utilize more memory.

The biggest problem with recording will be the fragmentation to the internal drive. Windows puts swap files on the outside of the hard disk that boot the machine fast. These files are always changing so the drived data fragments. Something like wave files get written on the inside of the disk which is much slower so the response isnt as good as having a second internal drive that only writes wave files, and those files dont get fragmented by the OS. 

You'll likely want to get an external drive to save all your projects and only open the current project on the C drive when you're working on it.

You may be able to run a Firewire drive along with a firewire interface. I believe you can loop them in parallel and write wave files directly to the extrenal drive. I dont run firewire though so I cant tell you first hand how well it works. I'm not a fand of a laptop either because thay have too many limitations in comparison to a desktop.  

Working...
X