honest LATENCY comments

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honest LATENCY comments

greetings all

i am not a newbie to all this but need some modern-day (2017) feedback on transitioning from hardware to software...FOR LIVE USE.

i am a former cubase/plugins user so i already know the realities of latency. then went with Universal Audio Apollos (which was great but, i sold to become non-computer dependent). now thinking of a Kemper. but...

i scored a new job at an Apple/Mac dealer/repair place and can get their refurbished stuff almost for free. so now, i am looking at Positive Grid, Amplitube and the latest Apogee Duet-4-Mac or RME Babyface.

as much as i love the small foot print of iOS setups (iPad Pro, etc), i must stick with laptops, since PG and Amplitube desk-top versions offer pro-grade rack effects (better comps, EQ, delay, mods, etc).

i know the Agogee and RME have a reputation for minimal latency but i also here that technically, there is still a SLIVER of latency. and, their 'direct monitoring' is worthless to me because i play live and need to hear the effects in real time.

i play clean tones only (acoustic-electric), no distortion patches. so, any bit if latency is always noticed to me. i hear that with the modern day Apogee-Duet/PG/Amplitube set ups, the latency has been recorded about 4ms. but, that is still more that hardware (and UA Apollo).

i just wanted to hear from some 2017 PG/Ampltube users, who use their systems for LIVE-RIG use (not recording). i watch all the new youtube videos on this subject and it seems like players are getting good results. is it true?

i do not trust tech support/pre-sales at PG, IK, Apogee and RME because, they are out to sell product and may be biased with their assurance that latency is not noticed these days. but i do trust you actual players. please comment here?

if ANY noticeable latency still exists in these modern day PG/Amplitube set ups, save me from the mistake of blowing my money on it all...if i should stick with the original Kemer plan, so be it!

(sorry for typos)

Edit Share Report Quote

Mentioned Products

New Reply Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Reddit

Sorry I'm late. Had a flat on the 5 comin' in and then got arrested for some old schitt they still can't prove.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

All computers produce latency. Doesn't matter if its being used live or recording, its all the same process. The round trip from analog, through the interface converters, through the communication port, through the computer buss, having an algorithm performed by the CPU then back out through the communication buss to be reconstructed back into an analog wave by an interface can take anywhere from 20 to 100us or higher depending on how fast the computer is and the chipsets it uses. There is no way around that.

Even is you have the fastest interface made, that's only a small portion of the latency involved. You have to move data packets using communication protocol and its not like the CPU doesn't have other things to do besides recalculating audio samples. They are fast but not fast enough for the ears to not notice. The data stream of binary numbers gets buffered into temp memory as the computer alters millions of samples to different values.

You want no latency, use a hardware multi effects pedal. Audio is a low priority peripheral to a computer, an add on to an computer which main job was designed for office applications. Even though the number of people who use computers for pro audio is growing its miniscule compared to what the masses use them for. The companies that design and build computers, and write operating system and application code target the use of the masses, not those who use them for audio. The only thing you can do is spend top dollar on the fastest computers made which have thunderbolt 2 compatibility and then use a fast interface to minimize latency then hope its low enough that your ears don't notice.

Comment

Working...
      X