No announcement yet.

VST Effects - Which Hard Drive?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST Effects - Which Hard Drive?

I've been asking a lot of hard drive questions lately - I know you need your main hard drive and then a separate hard drive for recording projects & audio, as well, a separate hard drive for sample libraries

but what about effects like your reverbs and such, and better yet, what about things like Guitar Rig and Amplitude. I like to use Guitar Rig and Amplitude sometimes for effects and such. Would I run these programs on my main hard drive that the DAW is on, or would I have it running off a separate with sample libraries and synths? I've always been a little confused on if programs like guitar rig and amplitude were just programs or actually sample libraries like synths and things take go in the whole kontakt and eastwest

Before I used to do everything on on hard drive and now I've learned

this week I'm setting up my newly built computer, my new audio interface and other hardware, my extra hard drives

For years I went to someone to record, but now I need more and more material produced and released, that I'm really taking up the time the effort to do a lot more myself, but coming down to the final details of this and that, is obviously a little tricky, like a program like Ezdrummer, a program I've used for years here and there that I'm really going to start using a lot more of, that's a sample library right? That's going to have to go on the separate sample library?

Install them in your DAW's effects folder if possible. They work with your program which also resides on your main C drive.

Where that folder may be is a matter of drilling down within the program files to find it. For example Cubase has a folder on the C drive> Program files> Steinberg> VST Effects where I place most of my effects. Its not the Main daw I use any more but I know that folder well from having used it for nearly 20 years so I place all my effects DLL files there.

Other effects may set up their own folders when you install them. You want to note where they are installed because you usually have to direct the DAW program to "go find" those effects. Sonar for example lets you list several folders where it is supposed to go find those effects and then they are available for use. You don't want to waste all that time scanning every inch of your drives to find them all so you limit where the program searches for the plugins.

I don't think it would cause the program to fail if the plugins were on another drive but given the amount of CPU resources they consume I wouldn't waste my time trying to find out. They are extension/add in programs best left on your C drive., Many plugins you download are just DLL extension files that are very small in size. Putting them into a single file instead of having them spread out all over the place has several advantages.

You will at some point upgrade your DAW or your Drives. Many DLL plugins can be copied as a backup. When you get your new daw running, you can copy the DLL files over to your new effects folder and may will work without having to reinstall each and every one of them which can take days. Other plugins do have to be installed from scratch and there's not much you can do about that. You also want to identify your preset folders and copy them as a backup. You can spend years building custom presets and they can wind up all being gone if you don't learn a few work around's like that.

I my last DAW upgrade I still had the old daw working. What I did to copy over some of the presets, was to load up tracks with multiple plugins and apply a preset to every one. I'd then save the open project with all those plugins. I'd copy the project, open it in the new daw and all those presets would be there. Then I'd just save those presets and they'd be there to use without having to remake each and every one of them.

Comment

excellent info, very helpful, lord knows I need all the help I can get right now, many thanks!!

Comment

I know this thread is old, but what I do is put programs (including VST and other effects) on the boot or "C" drive (which is a SSD in my case), and use two separate, dedicated drives for samples / virtual instrument libraries, and for audio recording. I use external drives to back everything up.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Foe (non-sampler) plugins, the drive shouldn't matter much.
          Plugins like CPU and RAM more than anything else.
          OK, accelerated graphics help, too.
          Originally posted by Anderton
          This thread was just reported for trolling. But, it should have been reported for exceptionally dumb trolling. Due to failing to comply with that technicality, it won't be deleted.

Comment

Working...
          X