No announcement yet.

Surfer EQ - just scratching the surface but I'm loving it

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfer EQ - just scratching the surface but I'm loving it

I'm still very much a complete novice at mixing and mastering but yesterday I spent some time doing a recording based around a little melody I came up with on the guitar.
    After adding in some drum loops (purely place holders), a fuzzy power chord track, and some random nodding for a lead track I had arrive at this mix.

This morning I decided to go out and grab SurferEQ which I had read a glowing review of on MusicRadar.

After just a couple of minutes of playing around with it I was able to really thicken up the lead track in a very musical way.
    Throw in a touch of master echo and reverb on the guitar tracks and arrived at this EQed mix.

Considering I still have no idea what I'm doing I'm pretty pleased with how it's progressing and I will definitely be making heavy use of SurferEQ.

-Kit

Sounds nice. The second version definitely pops more than the first, especially the snare, although I liked the 'softer' EQ of the lead guitar in the first version better. Nice track. I kept waiting for Hope Sandoval to start singing. I really like the concept of SurfEQ's but it is out of my price range at the moment. It would be neat to see a plugin that combines SurfEQ's pitch tracking with Waves Vocal/Bass rider's volume automation - a channel insert AI.
    **************** detuning, I'm gonna start using a capo when I play my speed metal. WHEEDLY WHEEDLY WHEEEE!!!

Comment

Working...
    X