Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sync multi-cameras with video

Hello, I know the very bare basics to video editing but I am very interested in learning how to make a poor mans music video with multiple camera angles without having sync issues. I currently use a Zoom Q3HD camera for my live music performances, but I have recently bought several more Q3HD's and a Q2HD camera with the intent of making these videos. The cameras come with their standard Handyshare editing software and my IMac has IMoviemaker I can use. For my trials so far I have been able to detach the audio form the camera that I intend to use for the camera, but when I try to cut and insert other camera angles into the IMovie maker I am having synching issues. Is this a problem that can be fixed with what I'm working with (with more know-how?) or am I fighting a losing battle and need to purchase a different video editing program? Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yea, I'm afraid you've answered your own question. Doing multiple angles requires a more powerful editor. Premiere pro, final cut x, Vegas, Avid media composer... If you happen to be on a Mac that's sufficient for Fcpx, I find their multicam feature wonderful for music projects.

Comment

Better editing software will help, but buy one essential piece of hardware used for 100 years by Hollywood to sync audio and film:

http://www.amazon.com/Commlite-Acryl...=movie+clapper

They used these for a good reason....
      Tim O'Brien

Comment

What you really want to do is record multi channel video so you can just click from track to track. Unfortunately that gear isn't cheap but it has been coming down in cost.

With what you have now, you need a program that separates the video from the audio and allows accurate, frame by frame editing.

A program like Sonar Producer will do it. You can import all three videos into the same project, then align all three so they begin and end at the same time. Then you can choose one of the three as your master, and cut and paste the cuts you want, when you want them from the other tracks to the master. You use the audio from the master track all the way through so its glitch free. If for some reason the edit you insert is off by a frame or two it probably wont be noticed because the sound remains the same.

You can also Mix, the audio at the same time, enhance it and even add more instruments into the audio mix, then bounce the audio to a single or stereo track before you export the work and have a single video file. Sonar doesn't have allot of video gizmos for fades, flips etc. If you want that kind of stuff you probably have to buy a specialized video program like Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by TimOBrien View Post
          Better editing software will help, but buy one essential piece of hardware used for 100 years by Hollywood to sync audio and film:

http://www.amazon.com/Commlite-Acryl...=movie+clapper

They used these for a good reason....
          Exactly. Hell, for that matter, claps your hands while all 3 cameras are pointed at the clap. Drumstick count off. All that matters is that the 3 reels are in sync at the top. So slide all 3 to sync on the clapper/hand clap/drumstick clicks. There's no drift.

Comment

Working...
          X