Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 180 degree rule

Like all rules, it's meant to be broken, but to avoid confusing the viewer(unless that's your intention) this is rule used by many film makers, self included. It keeps the continuity of the scene(s) and keep the area(space) stabilized.

here's a rough sketch below.

If you want a two-shot(both characters in view) use camera #1(your main camera)

If you want close ups of character A or B, use camera #2 or #3 respectively.

For reverse angle shots, do the same setup, just on opposite sides.

and that's pretty much it

Most of you probably already know this basic stuff, but figured i'd post something for the newbs.

and again these rules are meant to broken also, depending on what you're shooting
    It is said, to become famous, one must make a deal with the Devil. Well, where is his bitch ass at? I am ready to sign...........in blood.

Khemical Official Myspace Page

Reverbnation

The Pope. God's representative on earth, who is so sure of his faith that he has to be driven around in a bulletproof ice-cream van.

Or maybe that's just to attract the kids... -Gallus

I know this rule as this: Don't cross the Line. The "Line" is the imaginary line from one subject to another.

Failure to observe the rule will result in cuts (whether from editing or switching between multiple cameras) where a person who is looking at another person will appear to be looking in the wrong direction. That is because when you cross the Line, the person who appeared to be looking left will now appear appear to be facing right.
    "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell

My music: http://www.oranjproductions.com

The first website dedicated to the the baritone guitar: http://www.thebaritoneguitar.com

Comment

I know this rule as this: Don't cross the Line. The "Line" is the imaginary line from one subject to another.

Failure to observe the rule will result in cuts (whether from editing or switching between multiple cameras) where a person who is looking at another person will appear to be looking in the wrong direction. That is because when you cross the Line, the person who appeared to be looking left will now appear appear to be facing right.

exactly, it also changes up the background which will look quite odd lol

but you can break this rule for fight scenes or where you are purposely trying to disorient the viewer.
      It is said, to become famous, one must make a deal with the Devil. Well, where is his bitch ass at? I am ready to sign...........in blood.

Khemical Official Myspace Page

Reverbnation

The Pope. God's representative on earth, who is so sure of his faith that he has to be driven around in a bulletproof ice-cream van.

Or maybe that's just to attract the kids... -Gallus

Comment

Working...
      X