Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is the process of making a music video?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is the process of making a music video?

Hi,
    I need some information concerning shooting a music video. Does anyone have an Idea of how long the process normally takes (ex. the making of the storyboard, the acting part, the filming...)? It's my first video and it's pretty exciting!
    Thanks

(quick question, is there a thread were we get to introduce ourselves? )
    "A song, with the right notes and instruments , becomes alive.
    It adds a soul to every word, and emotions you wouldn't have reached otherwise..."

Unfortunately the answer is --- as long as it takes.

Depending on what you want to do and how long it takes you to accept a result,
    you can go from getting everything in one take to taking days or weeks.

(for example, I recorded a video album of my father-in-law who has been singing for
    over 50 years and he nailed a dozen songs in ONE TAKE EACH over an hour.)
    Tim O'Brien

Comment

Thanks for the answer. It's true that it depend on what kind of result we are looking for!
      One of my friend told me that normally the video recording is supposed to be an hrs per 10 min. and I was just wondering if it was realistic...
      It adds a soul to every word, and emotions you wouldn't have reached otherwise..."

Comment

Ours took three days to shoot, and about a week to edit (Chuck Howard / Amanda Vansant).....not sure about the story boards~(they were mainly for managment) Amanda wasn't too strict about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWYJJH3LPs
        SELLING
        $40 Washburn Lyon wah
        $50 Korg EXP2 expression pedal
        $80 Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal
        $60 Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
        $600 Rivera TBR1 2 channel preamp stereo power amp
        $150 Roland GP100 preamp/multi effects/ speaker emulator
        $140 Carvin DCM 150-150 watt stereo power amp

www.jpaulmusic.com
        www.facebook.com/jpaulmusic

Comment

Its all in what you're wanting to do. I shoot live band videos, it takes no longer than it takes for the band to play the song on stage.
          Its not the shooting that takes the time, its how you plan to edit it. Theres also many methods of doing a photo shoot. I used to do
          educational videls and we with do maybe 20 shots per scene and log all the shot angles, time signatures into a computer.
          Then wehn it came to editing several thousand shots we wouls use the computer bank to find all those shots and fit them to the narration.
          That alone took several months. Then we would take it to AT&T studios and add all the special effects that were needed.
          All in all it may take 6 months from beginning to end and cost $100K for an hours film.

For a You Tube video it can easily be done with consumer cam corders and audio mixer. You just have to know what you're doing.

Comment

thanks for the answer The video shoot actually took a day ( so I guess it's not bad for a first video :P ) and being well organized kinda helped!

Comment

On the average 1 to 3 days. It depends on the concept you have and the resources available.

Comment

Working...
              X