Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Work On Just One (stereo or mono) Track With Audacity?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Work On Just One (stereo or mono) Track With Audacity?

I keep doing things in Audacity that I don't want. I copy/duplicate tracks to give me something to work on that won't hurt the original.

And I copy/paste onto a new track excerpts to play with instead of hurting the original.

Those excerpts obviously much shorter than the original they were taken from.

But then I f ind the 'end of track' for sending the cursor to or for selections is the end of the original track, not this little excerpt.

And I find doing many repeats on this little excerpt adds those repeats to the original, too...

I can't find any way to make the little (usually stereo) track ( I just call it a 'track', maybe i should say 'tracks' or 'pair track') unique for handling.

All I can find is click on the left part of it and only it is highlighted, selected.

So I think I'll be okay but it goes wrong.

Usually the answer in Audacity are really simple in right in front of your face. What's in front of my face that I'm not seeing this time?

p.s. yes, I've looked on audacity help pages... I keep seem to be asking the wrong question there... get answers that don't exactly fit..

First dum anser. Usually if you drop a track into software, it just copies to the new location so the original is preserved. Obviously if Audacity doesn't do this, copy it first. If you record into software, save the track elsewhere before you start editing.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Your question is unclear when I read it. Not sure what your trying to do or what your goals are

If you are trying to avoid damaging your original tracks when editing - open the project then save it with a new name. You can then open the project that has the new name and do all the editing you want without damaging the original recording.

You then seem to mention track duplication and what seems to be a problem with clip alignment. There are many ways of doing that and maintaining alignment. Clips are aligned to the clock and depending on your DAW settings may round the numbers off which can cause alignment shifts. Sometimes its easier to simply copy the entire track and silence everything but the parts your need instead of clipping the parts and having to align them.

If you need to align them, then magnifying the waveform vertically and horizontally lets you see the individual waves more easily so you can get accurate alignment You can also convert several edits into a complete track by holding down the shift button, highlighting all the edits then using bounce to track.

I should mention I don't use Audacity but most of these editing tasks are universal to all DAW programs. They may use slightly different terminology but most of this stuff is no more difficult then editing a Microsoft word document. Some daw makers add additional short cut keys and some keys function the same as you'd expect them too so you don't have to reinvent the wheel just to learn how to edit a recording.

Comment

Also look for "setting markers".
        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
        X