No announcement yet.

Win 10 Plugin Problem

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 10 Plugin Problem

I upgraded my DAW to win 10 this weekend and all went well except a few of my plugins have a GUI problem. This plugins function, I can even adjust the controls blindly when placing the cursor over the spots where the controls. should be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	z0003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	32157480

I've seen plugins blocked in Sonar with a similar screen when there is an authorization issue or the DLL cant be found. The plugins aren't functional however and these are.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	32157451

This one has moving an EQ level display

Click image for larger version

Name:	z0004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	32157481
    The in and out meters work, The EQ sliders work but you cant see the display nor see what's being adjusted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0002.JPG Views:	1 Size:	148.1 KB ID:	32157452

I spent the entire day trying just about every trick I know so far.

It doesn't appear to be a video card issue. It ran basic drivers, then I tried the latest drivers. Resolution has no affect. Ran sonar in win 7 mode and as an administrator. Deinstalled and reinstalled the plugins, rescanned them and all of that.

Win 10 Home does have a lack of font and color control. Why MS stripped that out is beyond me. These plugins do run on my 64bit pro version of win 10 by the way. I'm beginning to think the issue has to do with the Home version lacking color Font Control. I did try some work around. You can change font size by downloading a reg. change. No luck however. Color changes in Sonar had no effect either plus all the other plugins work fine.

The tan screens were the windows colors I originally chose for windows too, yet when I change the colors in windows now, this color remains the same, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I'll probably contact Eventide today and see if they have any clues before I try rolling back to win 7. I wasn't really wanting to upgrade to win 10 but I had an audio driver glitch which then upgrade did fix. I do have a cloned win 7 drive too which is an easy swap out. I been avoiding a fresh install from scratch but it's beginning to look like that might be my best option. The original OS was vista and I have the original OEM disks. I could try installing Win 10 pro from scratch but There are two programs on those original disks I use.

The entire process of going from Vista to Win 7 takes about a week to get all my audio programs loaded and running properly. It can take a month copying over all my presets for plugins by loading up plugins in projects that have the presets adjusted already then resaving them too.

All that for two plugins that wont load properly. Everything runs fine otherwise. I think the audio even sounds better then it had in win 7 too.

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions. I don't get baffled too often but I suspect this is a flaw with Win 10 Home being unable to read the code properly from what I'm seeing.

Last edited by WRGKMC; 02-05-2018, 06:51 AM.

I don't know that I can help you with your issue except to say that I have experienced zero problems with VST, VSTi, DX, or other plugins after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home. This has been true both in Reaper and Audacity. I also have experienced no lack or reduction of control over fonts & colors.
    I had some problems in the past (actually in WIn 7) when I accidentally installed some things as Administrator, while others had been installed as my normal User. It took awhile to straighten that out, but no problems since then. Have you perhaps done the same? IMHO, it's best to simply run & install everything under your normal User account, even if that account has Administrator privileges.
    Last edited by JazzMastaJim; 02-06-2018, 09:20 PM.
    ---
    Jim
    Keys: Roland Jupiter-50, JX-8P; Alesis QS8.1; Korg DW-8000, Mini-Korg (original); Moog ConcertMate; Farfisa Compact Deluxe. And other assorted stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Everything was 100% functional with zero issues. All I did was upgrade to Win 10 Home. It should have kept all user programs and files intact and operational.

The only thing I cant be sure about is when these plugins got screen blocked like that. I ran the DAW after the upgrade but I may not have tried the plugins right away. It may have been the subsequent upgrades that downloaded of some of the tweaks I did turning off garbage from running.

Like I said I don't have issues on my other workstation running both 32 and 64 bit versions. I did install everything from scratch on that computer however and it was the Pro version.

I guess I'll have to decide if those plugins are important enough to be bothered with fixing them. I could roll back To Win 7, I could start over from scratch, I can even re-clone the drive from an older backup and try the upgrade again. If I do go through rebuilding from scratch I just hop I don't waste all that time and wind up right back with the same issue.

Maybe Eventide will respond to my inquiry with some clues.
      Last edited by WRGKMC; 02-07-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

The guy at Eventide who wrote the code says that used an OpenGL code for the meters and sliders that are blanked out. Its seems they knew of the issue with some versions of Win 10 and upgraded the plugin. They suggested I upgrade the version, but mine was a Free version and I don't believe the upgrade will work with that lousy Pace licensing system they use.

I left an inquiry if it would work so I'll wait to see if it will work.

I don't see much sense in buying a paid version is worthwhile either if the results will be the same.
        To be honest, I'm not overly impressed with any of their plugins. I've used their ultra channel quite a bit but that's simply because it has multiple effects in the same effect which is a convenience. Individually they aren't nearly as good as other plugins, even many free ones. That pace system runs in the background all the time too. The plugins wont work if you aren't on line so I may just dump them all off my main daw. I can then unplug the internet and shut down all those internet services from running.

Comment

Working...
        X