Why does my sound card time out?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my sound card time out?

Hey all,
    Lets say I turn on my Focusrite Scarlett and KRK Rokits with the intention of recording some music but I find myself just surfing the net and read articles without any sound for an extended period of time because I have ADHD lol. With both interface and speakers still on this whole time (30-60 min) I go to watch a youtube video or finally start recording something, the sound does not work. The only way to get the sound back is the crank the volume up and down and up and down until it finally comes back to life after a few seconds or restart the Scarlett. My old Lexicon Omega did the same thing. What's going on here? Why does it do that? It's almost like it times itself out. Also, sometimes it will just time itself out/sound cuts out in the middle watching a video on youtube: never while I'm actually recording something though.

It hasn't been an issue but I'm just curious and my first search didn't answer my question so I'm here now.

-Steve
    Guitars:
    Suhr Modern Koa 2013
    Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Type 2
    G&L Legacy USA HSS
    Ibanez RGA-121 w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
    Martin & Co. Custom Acoustic/Electric

Amps/Cab:
    Mesa Boogie Mark V Head (For Sale)
    5150 III 100W Ivory (For Sale)
    5150 Block Letter
    Axe-Fx II XL
    Carvin DCM300L Power Amp
    Marshall G50R CD SS Combo
    Mesa Boogie 4x12 Oversized
    Orange 2x12

Pedals:
    Maxon OD-808
    Ibanez TS-9
    Horizon Devices Precision Drive
    TC electronics Flashback
    TC electronics Hall of Fame 2

Its unlikely the issue has anything to do with the interface or speakers.

What it sounds like to me is you need to go in and adjust your power plan.

If you could tell me your windows version, DAW version and what kind of computer you're using I could walk you right to it.

In fact just yesterday I discovered my high end laptop workstation wasn't shutting down completely. After the last round or windows updates it overwrote the custom setting I had set and defaulted to the factory "Balanced Mode" that conserves power.

In the Balanced and energy saver modes it will do things like turn off USB ports and other devices to conserve power and need to be woken up which is being accomplished when you mess with the volumes.

I suspect the port is being turned off after so many minutes of non use. You need to dig deep into the power settings and find the buttons that are set to conserve energy and set them to remain active, or simply do what you are now.

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
      Its unlikely the issue has anything to do with the interface or speakers.

What it sounds like to me is you need to go in and adjust your power plan.

If you could tell me your windows version, DAW version and what kind of computer you're using I could walk you right to it.

In fact just yesterday I discovered my high end laptop workstation wasn't shutting down completely. After the last round or windows updates it overwrote the custom setting I had set and defaulted to the factory "Balanced Mode" that conserves power.

In the Balanced and energy saver modes it will do things like turn off USB ports and other devices to conserve power and need to be woken up which is being accomplished when you mess with the volumes.

I suspect the port is being turned off after so many minutes of non use. You need to dig deep into the power settings and find the buttons that are set to conserve energy and set them to remain active, or simply do what you are now.
      Interesting I didn't know that USB ports could be disabled that way. I'm digging into that now. Thanks for the advice man
      Guitars:
      Suhr Modern Koa 2013
      Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Type 2
      G&L Legacy USA HSS
      Ibanez RGA-121 w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
      Martin & Co. Custom Acoustic/Electric

Amps/Cab:
      Mesa Boogie Mark V Head (For Sale)
      5150 III 100W Ivory (For Sale)
      5150 Block Letter
      Axe-Fx II XL
      Carvin DCM300L Power Amp
      Marshall G50R CD SS Combo
      Mesa Boogie 4x12 Oversized
      Orange 2x12

Pedals:
      Maxon OD-808
      Ibanez TS-9
      Horizon Devices Precision Drive
      TC electronics Flashback
      TC electronics Hall of Fame 2

Comment

• WRGKMC
        WRGKMC commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea its one of those things the newer OS versions added. I noticed it in older versions but simply setting power for optimal performance usually fixes it.

There's a bunch of little tweaks like that you can find like turning off CPU Throttling, setting the system to run background services, turning off Aero, Updates, disabling programs and services from auto starting, setting antivirus for manual scans. There's at least 50 different small tweaks you should do that all add up. Just google optimizing for audio and you'll find most of the important ones. If you get into optimizing your services, be sure to take screen shots of all your current settings before tweaking anything. Many are interdependent and when you tweak one it may affect others.

Windows comes with so much bloatware turned on you really need to use your task manager and shut half that unneeded garbage from running so your CPU isn't wasting its time monitoring all that stuff. With a highly optimized computer you should be able to boot up in about 45 seconds and shut down in 15 and run as solid as a rock. Untouched from the factory a boot can take up to two minutes or more because its got so many apps trying to access the task bar and internet.
        Last edited by WRGKMC; 01-29-2018, 04:56 PM.

I too am having this issue but was at a loss to figure it out. Thanks

EDIT: I found that the USB stuff is set to never suspend but even though I'm on high performance, it's set to turn the hard drive off after 20 minutes, so I set it to never. I'll run reason all day and see if it does it again or not.
      Last edited by Chris Harbin; 04-27-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

So this was an older thread but I wanted to thank WRGKMC as for now, there have not been any "audio timed out" errors.

Of course now that I said this it will happen

Comment

Thanks. That issue was fresh on my mind which is why I mentioned it. Things don't just change on their own. There has to be a reason. The drive shutting down can do it too.

I had everything set up for high performance and all my power settings tweaked when Microsoft comes along and resets half my settings back to factory. I suppose I should set the wireless to "Metered" which is supposed to stop them from doing automatic updates but then you get a warning every day telling you updates are available.

I swear that workstation of mine gets more activity with updates then it does me actually using it. Every time I turn the thing on I got to wait for it to complete update installs. Oh well, its a sign of the times.

Comment

Still hasn't happened, but as you mentioned, win10 "OMG we'll update even if you said no" might come along and kill that. Yeah, that can happen.

It's odd to me that if you pick a power scheme that you are NEVER supposed to turn the hard drive off, it has a thing where it turns the hard drive off in 20 minutes

Comment

• WRGKMC
              WRGKMC commented
              Editing a comment
              Its 20 minutes of none use. That's a default for a laptop where you're concerned about battery power.
              Why they apply it to desktops or even mess with it at all is beyond me. I do know that one update was extensive and changed allot of things. Maybe the power scheme had a fault and repaired.

This has started happening again. Why? Why would it have been so cool after what I did and start again? I have a f.........ing RME. What's the deal?

Comment

Has the computer done any updates? With Win 10 - You can go to Windows settings > Update & Security > View Installed Update History and it should tell you what was updated.

If you use an older OS like Win 7 then you can access programs through the control panel. Once you're in there you want to select all Microsoft security updates. You should be able to see what dates they were installed and determine if the security updates correspond to any problems you're having with the power settings resetting. If you'd installed of de-installed any programs they might have made changes too.

If worse came to worse you could use system restore to roll back to an earlier date.
              I'd also try using CC Cleaner and Malwarebytes to clean up your system. Audio plugins can be loaded with bugs and maybe you installed something that's messing with your system. CC Cleaner is great for fixing registry problems. It can remove startup programs and find a bunch of garbage programs you may still have installed but may not know it. I typically set a system restore point before running these cleanup programs and I also turn off all its options to run in the background when rebooting.

Malwarebytes will help you find any Trojan or adware hidden, even some of the nastier stuff that regenerates after de-installing them.

You can also select advanced update option in windows and see if there is something set there that shouldn't be.

There was a security notice out where people have been warned to reboot their network routers. Apparently there have been some huge hacks happening and the government has warned people their internet connections may be compromised. May want to power down any internet and wireless routers you own as part of your housekeeping.

Comment

Working...
              X