Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tascam US-16x08 Soundcard with Multiple inputs ?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam US-16x08 Soundcard with Multiple inputs ?

hi there ,at the moment i`m using an e-mu 0404 pci card which only has 2 audio inputs ,i`m looking at expanding a bit ,i`m wanting to be able to record simultaneously with more inputs any ideas and quality does count ,thanks.
    Consternoon Aftable

If you're sticking with a PCI card, M-Audio has 4 and 8 channel Delta Cards which are very good. I run two of the 1010LT cards in my studio DAW for recording 16 tracks. They also made a 1010 that has a breakout box for easy access.

Problem is these are older discontinued cards. You can buy them used on EBay for under $50 but their days are numbered. The last drivers they made were for Win 7 (likely upgradable to 10 running Win 7 drivers) Computer manufacturers have been dropping PCI slots so have audio interface manufacturers.

You may want to get ahead of the curve so the gear doesn't become obsolete, and have built in mic preamps, XLR/line level inputs that are convenient, Then you want to switch to USB2, USB3 PCIe or Thunderbolt. Firewire is another option, but like PCI, most manufacturers dropped it last year.

USB2 is by far the least expensive and can easily handle up to maybe 24 channels.
    Cost will be based on the number of in/outs you need. Manufactures know the first upgrade people will likely make is to a 4 channel unit and they hit you fairly hard on costs. Behringer makes a 4 channel that's about $100 and Tascam makes one for around $150. I suspect the quality of the two to be about the same so you should simply compare the specs and base a decision on the specs and price, plus any reviews you may read on them.

For a 6 channel interface, no one seems to be making them in the past year. Tascam did make a US-1200 which is an excellent rack unit. Solid metal unit with 4 mic preamps and 2 line/instrument level inputs. I bought one for doing solo work for $89 new when Musicians Friend had their daily deals and were closing them out. I bought a second one slightly used for the same price on EBay for my laptop for doing mobile recordings.

The only drawbacks are it only has two outputs for monitors. I don't loop any hardware effects and do all my mixing in the box so it didn't matter for me. The other thing is there are only two line/instrument level inputs. I need 4 doing solo stuff. I record guitar in stereo and often track with a stereo drum machine writing music. The other 4 inputs are mic level XLR inputs. No big deal however. I simply bought an dual channel DI which converts a 1/4" line level to mic level. Pyle makes one that sells for $13. I've done comparisons between line inputs and mic inputs using the DI and there doesn't seem to be any fidelity losses so it winds up working well for me.

I should also note the mic preamps are Burr Brown which are quite excellent. I am able to run a ribbon mic on them and even though I have to push the gain nearly full I'm able to record vocals without a Cloud lifter

Next step up would be 8 channels. There's a bunch of manufacturers who make them. I haven't been keeping an eye on prices lately but I know many are way over priced. Again supply and demand are playing a rile there. They know for band recordings an 8 channel is a bare minimum. If you shop an 8 channel you want to make sure you have 8 mic/line level preamps. Many boast 8 channels but may only have 2 mic preamps and the rest line level or similar nonsense.

Others may say they have higher channel numbers too. What they aren't very clear about is the base unit may have 8 mic channels, but you need to buy additional preamp modules in order to expand the inputs.

If you're looking for the best prices, Again I believe Behringer makes an 8 channel at a very reasonable price. You may find others and score good deals on used ones.

Last time I went and checked them all I came to the conclusion it was better to skip the 8 channel and jump right to a 16 channel instead. I can buy a
    Tascam makes a 16 channel US-16x08 for $250 that has 8 mic preamps, 8 line level inputs, and 8 outs. With one of those I'd have no problem recording whole band. Behringer makes a Behringer FCA1616 for about the same price but its only got 4 mic preamps.

Most others like the Focusrite stuff that seems to be popular are easily double and triple the price. The audio recording isn't that much better either. The units are very competitive at any price these days and you can often make out better buying a less expensive unit and simply buying a separate high quality preamp for single channel tracking things like vocals that need to be top quality.

You can find good deals in the Presonus Firebox units which are expandable 8 mic preamp, 8 line level inputs. Motu makes great stuff. If you want a step up and have the cash Apogee and many others make some top drawer gear.

If you buy used be sure the devices have current drivers. There's allot of stuff out there being sold off because its obsolete. Check to see when it was manufactured. Old gear is only useful to people running older operating systems and older software. Try and buy something that has some longer term life expectancy, and be sure to read the reviews. Many units require you run certain CPU's for best performance so know your computer specs too.

Comment

• catscurlyear
      catscurlyear commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the great info Bill the Tascam 16 channel US-16x08 ,and Behringer FCA1616 look interesting ,i will do a bit of research on them .

What kind of a budget are you working with catscurlyear? Also, can you tell us a bit about the computer you want to use with it - CPU / amount of RAM / operating system?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
      What kind of a budget are you working with catscurlyear? Also, can you tell us a bit about the computer you want to use with it - CPU / amount of RAM / operating system?
      Hi Phil, it`s a quad core either 16 or 8 gig of ram will have to check tomorrow ,windows 7 ultimate 64 bit ,cubase 9, 64 bit. i don`t know how much i`d spend, maybe £300 ,do you have any experience and opinions on the E-mu 1820m .i only mention this because i am used to the E-mu patchmix and how it all works,and there are a couple for sale on ebay.
      Last edited by catscurlyear; 01-16-2018, 03:55 PM.
      Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Originally posted by catscurlyear View Post
        Hi Phil, it`s a quad core either 16 or 8 gig of ram will have to check tomorrow ,windows 7 ultimate 64 bit ,cubase 9, 64 bit. i don`t know how much i`d spend, maybe £300 ,do you have any experience and opinions on the E-mu 1820m .i only mention this because i am used to the E-mu patchmix and how it all works,and there are a couple for sale on ebay.
        No, I've never tried that E-Mu interface, and it may work fine under Windows 7 (sounds like you have a well-spec'ed computer) but my concern is that it's older and no longer really supported...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
        Tascam makes a 16 channel US-16x08 for $250 that has 8 mic preamps, 8 line level inputs, and 8 outs. With one of those I'd have no problem recording whole band.
        i`m going for the Tascam i`ll let you know what i think. thanks
        Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Originally posted by catscurlyear View Post
          i`m going for the Tascam i`ll let you know what i think. thanks
          +1 on the Tascam

I actually recently got the Tascam US-16x08 last month to help with recording a fully miked drum kit. So far for me it's running pretty smoothly with 10 simultaneously recorded channels using the lowest latency setting. Another plus is that it can also be used as a standalone mic preamp when USB is not in use.
          Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
          Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

i`m having trouble with the driver ,it
            shows the message that the driver does not have a digital signature
            by windows ,i am running win 7 ultimate 64 bit ,i have to run at 64 bit because of cubase. any helpers ,thanks
            Consternoon Aftable

Comment

I run my Tascam on both 32 bit and 64 bit machines without an issue.

The drivers are here - http://tascam.com/product/us-16x08/downloads/

Looks like the latest drivers are version 2.11 dated December 2017.
              there is also documentation for updating you can read.

When installing sound device drivers you often get Digital Signature not recognized messages.

Digital Signatures ensure that the software publisher or hardware vendor is trusted and verified by Microsoft. But in real life, publishers and vendors cannot always pay Microsoft to verify all their products or Microsoft cannot verify all the drivers or programs that are published every day.
              What that means is Tascam didn't want to pay fees to have their drivers listed by windows as being digitally signed. Given how MS uses every trick in the book to milk vendors for money using their operating system as a platform, I wouldn't pay them either if I was Tascam.

Of course you want to be able to trust the vendor's drivers and not just let any drivers be installed on your computer, but I don't thing Tascam is in the business of writing viruses.

(By the way, even your Delta cards also produce a digital signature warning when you install them).

Most of the time you can simply authorize their installation during the driver installation. If for some reason windows is blocking the install, maybe the recent windows updates, like the one for the latest Intel CPU problem has increased the security levels making it more difficult to install 3rd party drivers. If so this page tells you how to circumvent the problem and allow a one time authorization.

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-w...ows-8-7-vista/

Comment

thanks WRGKMC don`t know what i`d do without you at times .got it going .For the benefit of anyone in the same boat ,check which service pack you are running on your 64 bit edition of windows 7 mine is Ultimate, it needs to be Service Pack 1, if sevice pk 1 fails to download in the auto updates as it did with mine you can download it manualy by googling, Service Pack1(windows6.1-kb976932-x64) also Tascam says to download this file windows6.1-kb3033929-x64 and download the two files ,run service pk 1 ,then after the pc has done it`s thing and rebooted and wot not , run the kb3033929 file and it should then see the Tascam driver.
                Last edited by catscurlyear; 01-26-2018, 07:00 AM.
                Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Cool man. Glad to help.

Did you give it a test drive yet? The Mic pre's are very decent as is the units ability to push monitors.
                  The features are solid, basic and reliable. I'd say the only short coming is when you push the mic preamps all the way up between 9 to 10, they get a little hissy. Below that they are dead quiet. Lately I been using ribbon mics for vocals which are very low output. I have to run the preamp near full up to get a strong enough signal. I adjust it up to where I start to hear his then back it off and I get the best sounding vocals to date.

Within the control panel you have all your basic options for setting inputs and pans. You should be familiar with that for the M-Audio panel. There should be a slider that adjusts between 100% computer and 100% source. I adjust that in the center and simply leave it there. I leave the latency at the factory settings. Changing it up or down only caused problems.

Not sure if your driver panel has it but on mine there is a drop down for stereo/multitrack. You set it for multitrack when using your DAW program obviously. The behavior of the stereo mode had me baffled at first. At boot up the panel isn't running and the Win mixer is in control of the interface. You can open other audio devices like windows medial player and it will play stereo files fine.

If you open a DAW program or the control panel when its set for multitrack mode, the control panel takes possession of the interface over the win mixer. If you then try and open the media player its blocked from playing music until you switch from multitrack mode to stereo mode manually.

Its a bit of an inconvenience and you may think the drivers have gone hay wire bit its simply because that panel doesn't start automatically on boot up which can in fact be a good thing. If its set for multitrack and you open the DAW program first, the drivers work fine and you simply don't have the panel running so you save on CPU resources.

Not sure if you panel has this either.

On mine its got built in DSP effects like a compressor, EQ, Noise gate, reverb. In stereo mode these can be added to the signal in real time. They only record in stereo mode unfortunately and are designed for podcasting. They will run in multitrack mode and affect whet you are hearing when you track but they don't get recorded in multitrack mode. Its unfortunate because it could actually be helpful in some cases but they might still be useful. If for example you want to track vocal with a reverb or compression in order to gain some comfort level for your performance you can switch them on. It simply wont be printed to the track. You can then add plugins later and get what you were hearing when you tracked added back.

Again, I don't have the 16X08 so the features may be different and these issues might not exist, but in case they do you'll at least know what's going on. Its still the best unit on the market for the cost I've seen. Noone else makes a 16 channel with 8 outs for anywhere near its price range and its quality is excellent.

Comment

i only got it working 2 nights ago, i had to take the pc out of my studio cause it isn`t online in there and i messed about for a couple of hours elswhere online getting it going. Got it back in my studio this morning and i am very impressed with the mic pre`s ,prior to the tascam i was using a small behringer mixer to boost the mic signals and i did a quick test between them both and i`m afraid the behringer`s now an X piece of gear. the direct monitoring in the DAW and the Tascam is easy to set up when you are recording ,you just assign output setting 1+ 2 on the tascam mixer panal to master out left and right then you adjust your daws master fader untill it is a good mix with whatever you are recording through the tascam at the time, i haven`t done any multitrack recording yet but i`ll let you know how i get on when i do ,gonna need a bigger collection of mics now,lol .i used it as just a mixer while using my E-mu 0404 pci card which has better direct monitor capabilities with the dsp patchmix and the two of the soundcards get on great, no issues at all . Cubase has a great control room option which makes monitoring while recording a doddle and without messing up your master mix ,check it out this is the control room from cubase 6
                    Last edited by catscurlyear; 01-27-2018, 07:50 AM.
                    Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Working...
                    X