Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Protools have an acoustic simulator effect?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Protools have an acoustic simulator effect?

Something that can make an electric sound at least decently like an acoustic. I realize there's the Boss AC-3 and other pedals, but I'm curious whether this software exists in Protools.

Did you ever try putting a microphone in front of your electric guitar to get the sound of the pick slapping against the strings?

Buddy Holly used to do that with his Stratocaster.

Last edited by onelife; 12-20-2017, 10:44 PM.
    "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
    how we break each other's hearts
    and cause each other pain"

Comment

• TTCD
      TTCD commented
      Editing a comment
      Not what I'm after.

Originally posted by TTCD View Post
    Something that can make an electric sound at least decently like an acoustic. I realize there's the Boss AC-3 and other pedals, but I'm curious whether this software exists in Protools.
    Not as a standard feature. You might be able to find a plugin that offers acoustic simulation, but if one exists, I'm not aware of it.

If you haven't tracked the part yet, you might want to consider renting or borrowing a real acoustic for it - that would give you better results than any simulator I've ever heard... or you could use an acoustic simulator effects pedal like the Boss you mentioned.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• TTCD
      TTCD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, sir. That's what I wanted to know. Have found an independent plugin.

I use a Vox Stomplab amp modeling pedal when tracking and its got a setting which emulates what's supposed to be acoustic guitar tones. its essentially got extended highs and lows and maybe an exciter running.

I've gotten similar results using Ozone as a plugin and other various on guitar. Even a BBE plugin can do similar things so long as the original track was 100% clean and full frequency to begin with. In sonar they have a Channel Strip setting which matches an acoustic guitars response curve quite faithfully but the original track has to have something fairly close to begin with.

You wont make a solid body Fender sound like an acoustic because it doesn't contain those tones. The tools can make the instrument's frequencies sit where an acoustic would normally sit in a mix but they cant take a solid body and replicate the actual hollow body tones. I've used my semi hollow body guitars with acoustic simulators and gotten pretty close by boosting the body tones.

The types of pickups make a big difference too. I can get much closer to an acoustic sound using something like Lipstick, P90 or Mini Humbuckers compared to Fender Single coils or full sized humbuckers. I have a rare Shadow HB in a semi Hollow which is highly microphonic that comes about as close as you can get.

Of course installing a piezio bridge and preamp will by far do the best job on an electric as an analog solution. You'd need to use a midi unit to get any closer.

Comment

• TTCD
      TTCD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this. Quite informative.
Working...
X