Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting DAW recording with a footswitch any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting DAW recording with a footswitch any ideas?

It would be nice to set Cubase recording with a foot switch rather than having to reach across to the mouse and get back in position. I thought about putting a second mouse on the old green mouse port and connecting the left button contacts to a floor switch so you just use the usb mouse to position the cursor then just pressing the floor switch when in position and psyched up.
    But surely there must be a grown up way to do it?

You can use a DAW Control Suface that supports a foot pedal switch connection like a BCR2000 using internal commands

You can do it through a Midi foot pedal controller like a Behringer FCB1010 using key/Midi binding. The controller needs to be configured to send 2 Midi commands at the same time. A midi control message to act as a shift key of the computer keyboard then a message to bind with the Cubase shortcut command like Play/Pause but many combinations are available

The first method BCR2000 limited because you get only one switch so only one command. With the FCB1010 you have a complete pedal board (10 banks of 10 switches to play with.

You could just as easily use the loop function to record too. Move your tracks right to add time before a track starts playing back then set the entire track to be recorded as a loop, add as much leader as you think you need to be prepared to begin recording then it will simply self arm as the new track begins. You could also just set the track towards the end of the recording then when the playback starts over the recording track will arm and begin recording.

You can use this for punch in's too where you don't have allot of time to jump between the mouse button and recording a new track.

They do make Bluetooth page turners used for presentations or turning sheet music on a computer screen that might be adaptable to starting a recording. I haven't investigated it much though.

I usually keep 5 to 10 seconds dead air before a recording starts which is plenty of time to get prepared before I need to be playing a part. Most songs I record are played through from beginning to end as they would be done live. If I don't feel comfortable well that's just plain tough. I either plow through or start over. I learned long ago you don't have to feel comfortable in order to play great notes. Its preferable but I've captured many great tracks while resisting the urge to stop recording scratch an itch driving me nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
      You can do it through a Midi foot pedal controller like a Behringer FCB1010 using key/Midi binding. The controller needs to be configured to send 2 Midi commands at the same time. A midi control message to act as a shift key of the computer keyboard then a message to bind with the Cubase shortcut command like Play/Pause but many combinations are available...
      It's even simpler than that. Cubase can be setup to respond to MMC (MIDI Machine Code) so the MIDI foot controller can be programmed to send the MMC command for Record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control
      "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
      how we break each other's hearts
      and cause each other pain"

Comment

I wonder if one of those page turners can be used.

Comment

Totally agree with WRGKMC. You can use the FCB1010 to do this and A LOT more! I'm NOT a big fan of Behringer but they did a great job with this particular midi foot controller. Once you figure out how it works, you will love it! I wouldn't pay $150 just to use it as a start/stop controller though, but if you see yourself controlling various parameters, this is an affordable hands free solution for sure. Just recently a recorded a walk-through video for this pedal. Feel free to check it out if you like:

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
            I wonder if one of those page turners can be used.
            What about a standard sustain pedal? You can do that with Pro Tools ....that is if your audio interface has the input for it.

Comment

Working...
            X