Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bought a recording interface that i will never use!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a recording interface that i will never use!

I bought it for about $600+ and came to realize after 2 months that my recording studio will never be. It's a Zoom UAC-8. I think it is a pretty good interface judging by the price. presonus and m-audio are about half the price. So I'm selling it. Please check out my listing on 3bay. It's brand new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162701939329...84.m1558.l2649

You can buy a Tascam US-16X08 for around $250 which gives you 16 channels. 16 mic and 16 line level without having to buy additional A/D units. I have two of the 6 channel versions which work well for solo and remote work. They were $89 each new. https://www.techedu.com/Tascam-US-16...CABEgL2cvD_BwE
    Last edited by WRGKMC; 10-10-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

what are the best recording interfaces today? I went with zoom which is about $600. that's pretty expensive and high up. I can't find any other more expensive than that. presonus and m-audio seem to be much cheaper.

Comment

If you can't find any that are more expensive than that, you're not looking very hard.

Universal Audio Apollo, all of the Avid HDX interfaces, RME, Antelope, Apogee, MOTU, TASCAM, Lynx... there's a ton of higher / high end interfaces that are a lot more expensive than the products you mentioned.

But you still have a capable interface - why not use it to record yourself? Experiment with that, and you can learn a lot - in the process of teaching yourself how to record, you'll also probably become a better player too. Who knows? Maybe eventually you will be able to get that studio going and record other local musicians.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
          If you can't find any that are more expensive than that, you're not looking very hard.

Universal Audio Apollo, all of the Avid HDX interfaces, RME, Antelope, Apogee, MOTU, TASCAM, Lynx... there's a ton of higher / high end interfaces that are a lot more expensive than the products you mentioned.

But you still have a capable interface - why not use it to record yourself? Experiment with that, and you can learn a lot - in the process of teaching yourself how to record, you'll also probably become a better player too. Who knows? Maybe eventually you will be able to get that studio going and record other local musicians.
          ​lol, I never thought of doing that. maybe I should try recording. I have only one mic, a shure sm57-lc. I heard this mic is good for recording at loud volumes. is this true? its no good for bedroom volume levels? is there a way around this?

Comment

A Shure SM57 is a great mic, and it can work with both loud and soft sound sources - bedroom levels won't be a problem for it.

If you had to have only one mic, that's a very good one to have / learn with - especially if you want to mic up guitars and amps.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Since I don't get to use my new recording interface, I just let this serious piece of gear inspire me. I've been getting new song ideas and stuff. but when my brother gets his drums, we will start fixing up the new studio

Comment

Originally posted by levy333
                Thank a lot for great info!
                ​hey, welcome. since you're a newbie, I bought this thing in hopes of building a home studio. but looks like it will take some time. I don't even have studio monitors yet. I just use pc speakers. will do sound proofing, micing, mic stands, real drums, a real amp and all that good stuff in the far future.

Comment

Working...
                X