No announcement yet.

Tried out New Mic This Weekend

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried out New Mic This Weekend

I bought myself a Shure WH20 the other day used on EBay. They normally sell for $100 and picked it up for $39 so I got a pretty good deal on it. This one can work wired or wireless if you have a transmitter receiver. I been wanting a head worn mic for a long time but had a hard time finding one that could be used wired and didn't bust my wallet at the same time.

Most head worn mics only work with transmitters that provide phantom power. This one is a 300 ohm dynamic mic.

The mic came with a 1/4" jack which had me worried. I read allot of reviews about people getting low volume when plugged into a PA. I suspect they were plugged into a line level input.
    I bought a 3' - 1/4" to XLR cable so I can plug in recording or plug into a regular mic cable. I didn't need to use a High to Low/balanced impedance transformer. The signal was plenty strong.

Tried it out this weekend. After getting it adjusted it was actually very comfortable. I did use it to add vocals to some songs I was recording. It took awhile getting used to. I'm used to using a mics proximity to work my dynamic levels. Using this mic took getting used too because I obviously couldn't change distances.

I did have to spend more time mixing to get good results. I have been using a ribbon mic for my vocals and this surely isn't going to replace a good studio mic. I had to use allot of EQ and compression to get my vocals sounding decent but it did have a decent midrangy tone suitable for rock vocals. I think I'll actually do better with it singing live. I usually get together with friends once a month playing cover tunes and I really hate lugging allot of gear. With this I wont be tethered to a mic stand so I think it will work well for me. I don't need to sing all the time with the lead singer but coming in on parts singing chorus will be much easier.

I may rig up a foot switch for muting it when I'm not singing and since we move around allot on stage I'll likely rig the cable to my guitar cord so I can simply plug the mic and guitar in together. May be a little more weight dragging it around on stage but it shouldn't be a big deal. Its still cool enough to deal with in any case.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
    I been wanting a head worn mic for a long time but had a hard time finding one that could be used wired and didn't bust my wallet at the same time

It really doesn't matter now since you found an even better deal on something else, but in case anyone else is in a similar situation, the Shure SM10a, which has been around forever, is a head-worn dynamic mic (no phantom power required) that you can use wired or with a transmitter, and it only runs about $110 new.

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...orn-microphone

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Headworn.html

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

^^^ The mic element looks to be the same, at least the frequency response is. Maybe its just the headband that costs more.
      The only problem with that kind of headband is you wont be able to use it with headphones. You'd need to use earbuds (something I hate worse then headphones) Those have the advantage of adjusting the mics distance by quite a bit. The gooseneck on mine seems to get the job done quite well though.

Comment

Surely that mic is only suitable for dancing singers when performing?

Probably not good enough to use for home studio recording
        Last edited by sammymic; 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM.
        MixButton Mixing Studios

Comment

Originally posted by sammymic View Post
          Surely that mic is only suitable for dancing singers when performing?

Probably not good enough to use for home studio recording
          Like I said, I tried it and was able to EQ the hell out of it and get my vocals sounding somewhat decent. I definitely wouldn't want to have to spend that kind of time and energy on every song I record but it was interesting recording with a mic that doesn't vary in volume.

I mainly bought the mic for playing live so I can back my lead singer more easily. The cover band I play with is only a 3 piece and singer so I get real busy switching between rhythm, lead and singing. I hate having to rush up to the mic stand parts in on time and looking down at a pedal board to get the right pedal combinations makes it even tougher to come in solid. I'll have to give this headset a try and see how it works out.

Comment

Working...
          X