No announcement yet.

Blending 3 Amps in Mono

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending 3 Amps in Mono

Let's say I wanted to blend 3 amps together: one for the low-end, one for mids, and one for highs... would I:

1. Record a track for each amp, with the EQ untouched, and then blend the three tracks (in mono) using EQ on each individual track that focuses on the desired frequency

2. Tweak each amp to where the desired EQ is prominent (for example, getting a good "midrange" tone before recording the mid-amp track)

I can't seem to figure out the best way to mix all three amps, so if anyone can share advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

I think you'll probably want to experiment here if you have enough time...

First, try approach #1, then try approach #2. If approach #1 works for you, you can stop there. If not, try #2.

I think you may find that a combination approach delivers the best results - IOW, tweak each amp to give you something closer to the sound you're after (more mids, bigger or tighter bass, silkier highs, etc.) and then use EQ post-processing to fine tune things.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

When I record with the band I use two amps, a Marshall and a Fender setup. I run a stereo chorus and stereo echo to get some separation. Its less about having different EQ settings then it is about having different time based effects on each. The cabs I use are 10's and 12's so they produce different drive tones for each.

One thing to remember, Guitar isn't like a PA where you need Highs Mids and Lows to produce a broad frequency range. when you have several instruments in a mix no two instruments can occupy the same frequencies without frequency masking and volume wars occurring.

You need to save space for other instruments in the mix without over extending one instruments range too much and making it a frequency hog. Depending on the mix you may not have the real estate between 20~20Khz to make use of a broad frequency response without hurting your other instruments. You can make one instrument very broad playing its track solo but when you play all your other tracks you cant hear the other instruments. The more instruments you have in a mix the narrower each instruments range needs to be so they can all be heard clearly.

Go ahead and try it though. The best way of knowing how things work in a mix is through experimentation. Just be sure you understand what you're doing so you can understand the results.

Comment

Working...
      X