Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you recommend me a good standalone multitrack recording unit for guitar-oriented songs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend me a good standalone multitrack recording unit for guitar-oriented songs?

The title of this post is a mouthfull, so let me explain:

I'm at the end of my rope with computer-based home recording setups. They have been a complete nightmare for me so far.

Can someone recommend a good, easy-to-use, standalone recording unit for around $300 for guitar-oriented songs. It dosn't have to be fancy. I would ideally like to be able to plug my guitar in, lay down some tracks and then export into recording software for editing. I'd like the unit to have built in effects like distortion and delay. The style of music I am aiming for is sort of like old-school metallica if that matters.

I'm not sure how many more details I should add, but if anyone can give me a recommendation based on the info provided, I'd appreciate it, Thanks.

Just google and read your specs and pricing. Tascam, Boss, Zoom all make some decent recorders in that price range. Get as many tracks as you can for the price because thats where you will be limited.

Stand alones are like tape decks. Tape is limited to the number of heads for tracks before you start to have to bounce multiple instruments to the same tracks. A computer DAW has limitless tracks and only runs out when the computer processing becomes too much.

Stand alones can be a good choice for some who likes the hands on, but dont be fooled into thinking they are simpler to use. I suggest you download the manuals and read them first and see if you understand them. In a Computer everything is there in front of you including the help files.

With a stand alone you "Have" to use that manual for everything you need to do untill you have it memorised. You'll find all those menus and sub menus just as big a challange to use as running any DAW program and getting things mixed well has limitations. You are stuck using one set of audio tools only, the ones that come with the unit. In a DAW if you dont like the plugin that comes with the program, you can choose from hundreds of others as substitutes.

Anyway, I hear the Zoom R8 or R16 are very good for the price. The boss stuff may be a little expensive for what you get. The tascam is pretty good stuff. You get allot of features for the price and are good for making demo quality recordings. Getting pro grade quality on their budget models can be difficult. They track well but the mixing options within the box may be limited so you wind up targeting whats best for the box, not whats best for the music.

I'd be curious to know what problems you're having with a DAW. Its likely you'll have to deal with those same issues using a stand alone. You will still need good monitors for mixing to get good results.  

Comment

Any standalone I've attempted to use has been a logistical nightmare, compare to using a DAW-based system.

I could see you wanting to use one if you were doing everything in the recorder, but the fact that you're porting it into a DAW anyway just seems like a really inefficient way to work.

Maybe if ypu could share the problems you're jhaving w/your DAW, someone could help you out?

MG

"Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

Working...
      X