X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mungojelly
    they all suck. seriously.

the packages they try to sell for three, four, five hundred dollars act like what one usually would expect from a $20 shareware app. it's hard to get them to do anything, never mind to feel like an environment for creating MUSIC.

i mean i guess they're not so much for music as for some hellspawned idea like "profession audio production." and that's what they feel like, like you're "professionally producing audio." it's awful.

a lot of people who are struggling with these things, i think would be better off with an old tascam. those have really, really realistic tape simulation, folks!

if you're thinking of spending $200 on recording software, look into a used VS-880! i'm serious!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You may be right.

The only downside to a Workstation like a Tascam or a
    Roland VS 2480 or Akai Dps 24 is that they are PRIMITIVE when trying to work comprehensively with LOOPS.

Sure, you can use loops, but you can't really really use Loops as the Tempo matching and Key matching, is a JOKE.

WHEN a Standalone DAW Maker finally figures out that ADVANCED AND SEEMLESS LOOP INTERGRATION is Necessary and quits putting just enough PRIMITIVE looping features on their machines to cause CONSTANT AND ENDLESS FRUSTRATION, the PC // MAC Virtual Studio "all in one" HYPE is going to be hurting.

<><
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unbeliever, try not to be a Lockstep Media Controlled EVO Parrot all your Life.

To be an Atheist is to have Victory without Success.
    <

Surrender to Jesus is the Only Surrender that results in Total Victory.

"They that forsake the Bible praise the wicked, but such as keep the Word contend with them"

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of (is) Death".

"He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the Lord; and that which he hath given will he (God) pay him again"

Comment

• does anyone else find they get driven mad by adobe audition crashing when you make a series of volume adjustments to an individual track during playback? it's great that it saves the project so that you don't lose it when it crashes, but it is incredibly irritating that it does so in the first place. anyone know any ways around this?
      good lord i feel like i'm dyin'....

(then i did...)

"Duke" John Clarity, 1982-2004

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

• Originally posted by mungojelly
        they all suck. seriously.
        the packages they try to sell for three, four, five hundred dollars act like what one usually would expect from a $20 shareware app. it's hard to get them to do anything, never mind to feel like an environment for creating MUSIC.
        i mean i guess they're not so much for music as for some hellspawned idea like "profession audio production." and that's what they feel like, like you're "professionally producing audio." it's awful.

Usually expect from a 20$ shareware-app???? NOT.
        The processing in those apps destroys the sound bigtime.
        That's why we should pick ONE sequencer that covers once's needs and STICK TO IT. As soon as you know the sequencer/software in & out...it's a dream making/editing music.
        Yes, lots of the packages really suck, so everybody should read some.....and doublecheck what yer about to buy.
        Yes, of course........IT'S NOT WHAT YOU HAVE....BUT WHAT YOU DO WITH IT. There is really too much wining around this subject.
        If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It

Comment

• Originally posted by john clarity
          does anyone else find they get driven mad by adobe audition crashing when you make a series of volume adjustments to an individual track during playback?

it's great that it saves the project so that you don't lose it when it crashes, but it is incredibly irritating that it does so in the first place. anyone know any ways around this?

I haven't had any such problem with it. Since I have been running Adobe Audition 1.0 rather than the old Cool Edit 2.0 I haven't had any crashes.

What kind of shape is your computer in?

Comment

• laptop, bought in december, 30gb memory and latest pentium. i don't know why it does it, but it does. it's quite annoying!!

(then i did...)

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

• Would anyone care to offer thoughts on (or better yet head-to-head comparrisons of) the "budget" offerings, such as Magix Music Studio 2004, Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL, etc.?

For the longtimers, I would assume these packages are limited and crude, but for those of us cutting our teeth on digital recording, they offer an inexpensive introduction to digital recording.

Specifically: I'm a guitarist/singer/songwriter. What features & capabilities must I demand from such software, at the least?

Thanks in advance.

My advice based on experience & money spent is avoid Cakewalk (Makework) Homestudio 2004 . I am very experienced with digital audio & MIDI sequencing software.

In my opinion, Makework HomeStudio 2004 has the stupidest, most difficult to use and non-functional interface I have ever encountered. And I have been sequencing MIDI & recording digital audio since 1989 when I first bought a Cakewalk product.

I bought Makework HomeStudio 2004 at GC a few months ago. It does not read my MIDI interfaces. DOPro reads them every time I start. Cubase reads them every time I start. Makework HomeStudio 2004 just sits there.

It also does not read my Digital Audio interface.
              DOPro, Cubase VST 5.0 Adobe Audition (trial version), CoolEdit 1.2 and SoundForge XP all have no trouble identifiying my digital audio interface correctly. I only use one.

Makework HS 2004. Cannot find it.

When I bought Makework Homestudio. I registered it and noticed on the site that the release I noticed numerous bugs mentioned on the website. I downloaded the updates. It still doesn't work.

It is useless software in my experience. It is not a "cakewalk", in that it is extremely difficult & counter-intuitive in its GUI.

I bought Magix. It is very good. But not so advanced as Makework Home Studio 2004 purports itself to be. It will only do 16 bit. But it has the advantage of actually functioning in my computer.

I have Cubase VST 5.0. It is excellent software. And I use it exclusively for multi-track digital audio because of the VST plugs.

My MIDI Sequencing is still on Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro. Multi-track digital audio I then go to on either Cubase VST or CoolEdit.

Mixdown I still use SoundForge XP.

Disadvantages to Magix? It won't do 24 bit like Makework HomeStudio 2004. Cakewalk also has the most up-to-date *.ini files for synth patch maps. The advantage to Magix. It is very reasonably priced. But best of all unlike Makework HomeStudio 2004 - it doesn't just sit there taking up space on my hard drive.
              It actually functions.

You pay your money & it does what it promises.

And here are my latest instrumental tracks - recorded using DOPro MIDI & Cubase VST mixed down to SoundForge Digital Audio.

"For Ha My (Instrumental Tracks)"

I still need a vocal. When I record it - I won't use a certain software made in Massachussetts.
              Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

• I have used Cool Edit and Cool Edit pro for some time and really liked them both (They can be obtained free) I now am a registered user of Adobe Audition 1.5 It is pretty sophisticated but some bells and whistles don't work quite right yet. Still very easy to use and very powerful.
                Mac

Comment

• Haha Adobe makes great graphics programs. For audio go elsewhere. There's no step up from there.

On the low end you can get Cubasis (often free with a HW purchase) and as you grow move up to full Cubase. Or Cakewalk to Sonar; don't know about the entry program but Sonar is great. Or the cheap version of Logic (whatever they call it now) to Pro.

Comment

• OK so I am probably way, way out of my league here, so I will apologize now...with that said I have been looking into PC recording and well there is alot out there, but for me, I really want something for guitar and vocals...something with drum tracks. I was thinking of Gutar Tracks 2.0 (Cakewalk)...but the problem is its for Windows 98, and for XP, I would need to look into Guitar Tracks Pro 3.0, which is lik 2 1/2 times the price, with alot of xtra features...I also heard that GT 2.0 is not being sold anymore. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
                    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=488 1325&Mytoken=20041103185118

Comment

• Having used CEP 2000, CEPro 1 and 2, Audition 1 and Audition 1.5, I have to say it's a pretty good product. If I need to go beyond that, I'll get SADIE, as I'm a classical recording engineer (mainly). But I can do a whole CD project on Audition 1.5 (with MOTU 896HD) and do audio restoration, cleanup, etc and nobody (even the most golden-eared musicians I've worked with) has had anything but praise for the results.

It may not be perfect for multitrack work, but it does it, ditto loops. Plus video integration that mere humans can use, it can't be that bad, surely?

But I guess I'll get SADIE eventaully. Editing on SADIE makes ALL the others look like a computer simulation of what SADIE does naturally. And it's available multitrack now (don't ask about the price).

Comment

• Hi!

Was going through all the posts, great stuff!

However was wondering what software has the easiest learning curve and can be used to record a "respectable" band demo?

What about avoiding the clicks and pops?

I've been playing around with Acid pro and its pretty decent(except for the clicks etc) I want to record my band's songs. Any suggestions as to how I should go about this? (Software for newbies which gives decent quality)

Anuj

Comment

• will ProTools LE allow importing a .wav or .mp3 "backing track" that you can play along to?
                          did that make sense? if not, who does this?

thanks
                          GUITARS: Benedetto Custom 7, Benedetto Benny 7, Benedetto Andy 6, Sakashta 7, Palen 7, Carvin CS6 + misc solid bodies...
                          The Duo
                          Video Clip

Comment

• i just stumbled on, after months of using it, how to do envelopes in the multitrack view with audition...

i apologise, audition- it was my fault, not yours...

(then i did...)

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

• I stumbled over here from the Keyboard Forum... cuz I'm about to make a switch. After 10 years using Roland VS stand-alone DAWS (first the VS-880, and then the VS-1680), I'm thinking it's time to go with software. I've been working with a friend - a video editor - who uses Pinnacle - and I really like the way he could just draw in volume levels and other effects.

I've used Cakewalk Home Studio for MIDI sequencing - so its Big Brother, Sonar, is probably my best bet for the kind of work I do (MIDI music creation plus voice-over/commercial advertising production) - also probably the cheapest route to upgrade. But does it allow for that after-the-fact drawing in of volume levels and changes in its audio section?

I also suspect that I'll need to upgrade RAM in this Dell computer (now at 512k) and upgrade the hard drive (80 gigs - but already half-full).

Any thoughts anyone would have would be great.
                              When an eel hits your eye, like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Comment

• I haven't had much time to work with Line 6 GuitarPort RiffTracker yet, but I'm exited to this weekend. It might work for you. It just launched and there's a free demo

http://www.line6.com/rifftracker/

Comment

Working...
                                X