Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

I'd like to address a few of your points.

Cakewalk has been attempting to address user complaints and requests for features as can be seen by the subsequent versions of Sonar released Since Sonar1. Sonar3 consists of a new batch of code written from the ground up, which has been improved upon in Sonar4.

The Producer Edition of S4 not only comes with quality plugins, but ones that function in surround sound.

There are many free quality plugins that will work with Sonar, and their recent purchase of RGC Audio, demonstrates a positive step toward providing even more substantial plugins. I've been using the free SFZ soundfont player from RGC and it's excellent.

There has been more than one accusation that other digital recording programs have audio engines that sound better that Sonar's. In studying the problem, Cakewalk finally determined the issue was adjustable pan laws that Sonar lacked, which other programs featured. It was never an issue of audio engines sounding better--which is a subjective determination--but rather one of the engines sounding different. The fundamental quality of the Sonar audio engine is indistinguishable from that of any other DAW software. Sonar4 has selectable pan law settings.

I'm using Sonar4, think it sounds great, think it has great features, and as for it being a toy, the learning curve is substantial, as evidenced by the manual, which is over 700 pages in length. Sonar has come a long way since version 1.0.

Here's a pro review:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/52A2F29218A0ADB286256F190051D8DC

Of course they are going to tell you it has something to do with "pan laws" and that they have addressed the issue. I would have to hear S4, but first, answer one simple question.

Can you arm a track during playback?
    ***Gear***
    1997 Ibanez S540fm
    1991 Ibanez S540ltd
    1991 Ibanez RG565
    Peavey XXX Head
    Peavey 412M
    HUSH 2CX
    Johnson J-Station

Comment

• Originally posted by pepper

Of course they are going to tell you it has something to do with "pan laws" and that they have addressed the issue. I would have to hear S4, but first, answer one simple question.

Can you arm a track during playback?

It never occurred to me to try and arm a track for recording while playback is engaged--where's the practical need for such a feature?

As for necessary features, Sonar4 has all you could want, including gapless audio, loop editing, track freeze, and a killer midi programming view. The sound quality is second to none.

Comment

It never occurred to me to try and arm a track for recording while playback is engaged--where's the practical need for such a feature?

Really!? SONAR, unlike some of the other sequencers, has a VERY modal feeling. Most of the important functionality is disabled during playback.

In samplitude, you can do everything in real time, edit, move clips, record, etc. It works like a piece of hardware. No gapping, features are not disabled. You can do what you want when you want.
        ***Gear***
        1997 Ibanez S540fm
        1991 Ibanez S540ltd
        1991 Ibanez RG565
        Peavey XXX Head
        Peavey 412M
        HUSH 2CX
        Johnson J-Station

Comment

• http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/04-08-05-MIPA.asp

Comment

• Originally posted by pepper
            I have been with Cakewalk since Pro Audio 6 and upgraded religiously through SONAR 1.3.1 until I finally said ENOUGH!

I realized they were never going to address the important issues. Sonar really shines in looping and midi but it is STILL the worst PC app for audio. It is less expensive than some of the others, but you need to buy several enhancements to make it worthwhile for audio.

Dude, with so many other (and better) alternatives, you don't have to take it. Vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere
            Discounted Audio Software Search
            www.deprice.com/audio.htm

Comment

• Regardless of platform or DAW, you need a great reverb. There are so many plugin options available, it gets confusing. I've found a new plugin reverb (Mac,PC, VST, AU) that I believe is the best you can get, and seriously competes with very expensive hardware.

www.artsacoustic.com get the demo (unlimited time - it inserts a bit of silence every minute or so). If for no other reason than to hear what expensive reverb can sound like. The presets are great, but play with this because it has a huge range of very musical sounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by john clarity
                anyone know what programs electronic music people use? i'm thinking bands like Air...

I'm curious myself. Bit I'm pretty sure that Air uses a lot of hardware, they're into vintage synths and drummachines I think.

I'm learning to use Reason and Live4, cool programs that don't compromise too much even though they're all-in sorta packages.

Comment

• i read a good few interviews by them after this, and for the reasons above maybe they're not the greatest example. .
                  good lord i feel like i'm dyin'....

(then i did...)

"Duke" John Clarity, 1982-2004

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

• Most of the discussion is about the advanced software. I'm interested in a simple entry level software like the Cakewalk (Like $59). Is that an easy reliable software for basic recording or is there a better one?
                    This is PC Software 101!

Comment

• my brother is starting off, and he uses audacity- it's possibly free also, but i'm not sure about that.
                      good lord i feel like i'm dyin'....

(then i did...)

"Duke" John Clarity, 1982-2004

"this is rock and roll"

Comment

Punch in on the fly.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

• Came on this subject trough a search item for Pro Tools and windows XP.
                          As it happened, I had the opportunity to buy an M-Box very cheap with all the programs and codes and everything from a friend. I'm running a pretty new pc.
                          Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz
                          "kloksnelheid" 3.41 GHz, 1,00 GB

This should be ok, but I keep getting this glitch when I'm recording and during playback (the demo). Eventough I folllowed all the changes digidesign suggests.
                          Does anyone have any recommendations?
                          Thx.

Comment

• If your into synth music, Project 5 is IMO the best choice out there. The soft synths and samplers are excellent and there is an audio in for audio recording! IT's also Vsti compatible...you wont need much more.

Comment

• Hi guys and girls. I am trying to set up my pc for recording with Cubase SX 2. My hardware is an Mbox tough and an M-Audio midi inetrface.
                              Untill now audio recording is no problem but midi is...For some reason or another every time I record something with midi, it moves the objects making them out of time.
                              I tried everything I could think of. Searched the entire manual and couldn't find anything to solve this problem. So, my question is does anybody know what I have to change in order to solve this.
                              Thnks in advance.

Comment

• I just ordered an audio/midi interface for my laptop(E-mu 1616), and now I'm wondering how I'm gonna do my solo recordings.

I have Cubase SX and Live3(Hopefully Live5 pretty soon), and for some reason Id tend to favour Cubase when it comes to recording a band, with about 8 tracks at the same time. So far I've only used cubase to mix a couple of demos though, but I imagine it'd be perfect for the job once I learn the basics.

BUT...

My own solo thing involves a lot of electronic stuff, all done in Live3. It'd be cool if I could record guitars and sometimes live drums with live3, into the same set as the already existing electronic tracks. I'm more familiar with Live's user interface, and I don't like the idea of moving the electronic stuff made in Live3 to cubase...

Anyway,
                                I've never recorded an actual instrument with Live3, and although I know it's possible, I was wondering if there's a reason to just stick to cubase for my solo recordings. Live isn't a typical multi-track platform, so does it maybe have limitations or downsides in that departement...?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X