X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonmatifa
    for $600, it really can't be beat. and like shangrila17 said with the firebox, its hard to find a bad review of it.

now onto the firestudio.... where is that going to fall in between the firepod, onyx 800f and rme fireface?

There are some definite hassles with using the firebox though. The virtual mixer relies on your tracking software to show input levels (besides the blue LED on the hardware to show that the signal is clipping). It's kind of annoying that they wouldn't include a meter of their own. But I keep the level at max almost the entire time because...

...the preamps, even with the +12db boost gain, doesn't seem to be that powerful using a mic with phantom power (haven't tried it with a dynamic yet).

Even though the noise is marginally higher using a cheap ART Tube preamp into the 3 or 4 TRS line-in, the track volume is much louder. Maybe I'm used to my old set-up but the preamp seems a little too clean, almost thin sounding, definitely "transparent". I actually like it for direct guitar recording with effects in front, but not for vocals.

On the positive side, it's easy to set up, and use and very portable.

Comment

Hi, of the firewire interfaces mentioned here, (or any others you know of) are there any that have the ability to send out individual channels from cubase to different line outs, have the signals run through various peices of outboard and then record the return?
      Thanks
      Will

Comment

Presonus Firepod

Comment

Or firebox. If you're poor like me.

Comment

Anyone with experience with "inexpensive" subwoofers? Particuarly the ~$200 range.

I'm looking at the KRK RP-10s, 225w 10" $300

Fostex PM0.5-Sub MKII, 8" 110w $200

Samson Resolv 120a, 10" 120w $200

and finally, TAPCO SW-10, 10" 120w $350

any others?

Comment

Digidesign M-Box and Pro Tools software. Comes with LE software, a condenser mic, and instructional dvd. $325shipped.

Email me sirkonks@hotmail.com
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Good transactions: MrSandMan, pete n.,fuzzball, 6StrngStrangler, Bob Doom, EdgeOfDarkness <br />
              <br />
              SPAM:Crate Blue Voodoo half stack. 60watt head with 2 channels. 4x12 cab with celestian v30's. Great shape. $500 local pickup only in West Michigan.</div>

Comment

I'd love to see a few more additions.

- recommended MIDI gear in terms of controllers/keyboards (for basic triggering and stuff) most people dont know what is decent in terms of sample triggering and such.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Every man needs a hobby he cant afford!</div>

Comment

Any Revision to this?? Being this is over 3 yrs old?

Zoom?

Originally posted by Speeddemon

Anyway recommended DAWS:
                  Tascam 788
                  Korg D1200
                  Korg D1600
                  Akai DPS16
                  Yamaha AW16G
                  Yamaha AW4416
                  Roland VS1824

forget the other VS-stuff and forget the Fostex stuff... They all have some corner's cut.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Indigo">6505+<br />
                  70' Traynor 4x12 V30's/Tonkers<br />
                  Various2x12's</font></div>

Comment

Yeah, perhaps someone should start a new thread with polls or something since there is a good deal of hardware that came out since this started. just a suggestion.

Any Revision to this?? Being this is over 3 yrs old?

Zoom?

Comment

• I agree. This needs an update or something.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">More Complete</div>

Comment

• Any Revision to this?? Being this is over 3 yrs old?

Zoom?

I'm not really up to date with this stuff as well,
                        but from what I can gather, the new Yamaha and Korg's are the best bang for the buck.
                        Roland and Fostex don't even make new DAW's anymore.
                        (Zoom has too small screens)
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                        <br />
                        <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                        -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                        <br />
                        <b>For sale:<br />
                        -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

• I'm not really up to date with this stuff as well,
                          but from what I can gather, the new Yamaha and Korg's are the best bang for the buck.
                          Roland and Fostex don't even make new DAW's anymore.
                          (Zoom has too small screens)

Well Rolands still got em.. http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=110

Screen size, well Zooms kinda bigger these days.. & Zoom was my bang 4 the buck choice @ $650, but Yamaha is the simplicity/profesional quality choice from what i see, even though its about a thou.

Id like to see the conclusions from THIS tread compounded, AND a new & UPDATED thread started. :thu:
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Indigo">6505+<br />
                          70' Traynor 4x12 V30's/Tonkers<br />
                          Various2x12's</font></div>

Comment

• Id like to see the conclusions from THIS tread compounded, AND a new & UPDATED thread started. :thu:

+1000! :thu: :thu:

:wave:

<div class="signaturecontainer">More Complete</div>

Comment

• I just bought a pair of these ProdIPE Pro8 monitors and they totally rock. Before i bought them I A/Bd them with various different monitors of around the same price and they stood out miles above the rest.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">How much?! My insurance fraud will never cover that...</div>

Comment

• Mark, this is fantastic for a recording Newbie like me. thank you!!!

I noticed that the E-mu 1820 PCI interface has been discontinued. Do you know if the E-mu 1616 is the successor in the same "weight class"?
                                <div class="signaturecontainer">Jimmy<br />
                                <br />
                                Jimmie Vaughan Strat, with custom fatback<br />
                                neck, Lollar Vintage Strat pups<br />
                                LP Studio w/ Lollar Humbuckers, TonePros bridge<br />
                                Blister Agent (Boost, overdrive, sag/wah filter)<br />
                                (by Tim Schroeder)<br />
                                Dunlop Crybaby Wah<br />
                                Voodoo Labs Microvibe<br />
                                EHX Deluxe Memory Man<br />
                                Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal<br />
                                Peterson Stompbox Tuner (Tuner Out f/ Volume Pedal)<br />
                                Boss RC-2 Looper<br />
                                Bassman 50 Silverface Head, rebuilt by Tim Schroeder<br />
                                Custom Tone Ring Cabinet with 12&quot; Weber SilverBell</div>

Comment

Working...
                                X