Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by pudan
      So I plan to get a bass drum mic and 1 overhead for the rest. My question is what would be the best choice for cymbals and drums. thanks

I would get some not too expensive LD condencer microphone for that.

Theres plenty of brands and models and the recommend ones you'll find at the first posts of this thread.

Note however, that the recommended ones are rational especially for US market. In Europe there's different brands (or some brands are insanely pricey here).

Be sure your interface gives phantom power for the condencer.
      Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass
      - Frank Zappa

Comment

Are you recomending a large diaphram to take in account for the drums? What do you think of a MXL 990

Comment

Are you recomending a large diaphram to take in account for the drums? What do you think of a MXL 990

Definately I am. I use LDC's all the time with drum miking, especially if I use mics sparingly - and I always use them sparingly (1 - 5 mics). Another point is that LD's tend to sound good with vocals, acoustic guitars etc.

I'm not familiar with the mic you mentioned, however note the schock mount that comes with it. It might be a bit hard to point the mic downwards (when you use it as an overhead) and not accidentally drop it.

It can be used as an overhead
          no doubt about it.

My point (if any) is that it's not that important which mic brand you choose, it's more about how you use it. It's possible to get good results with most of them.
          Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass
          - Frank Zappa

Comment

Good thread- but I would disagree with your choice of Direct Guitar:

The Guitarport is pretty crap to be honest.. I owned one for a while but sold it. The V-amp is much better- suprisingly good for the price too.

Also don't forget the Tonelab in competition to the PODxt
            Les Paul (EMG 81+60), Strat,
            Fish n chips EQ, Crybaby, Tonelab SE
            Vox AD30vt

That's it!

Comment

That's about as cheap as you can go for a LD condenser. Read the reviews. Most people say it isnt bad. If you want to spend a little more, go for the studio projects B1. Put one about 4 feet in front of the kick and another on a boom stand pointing towards the snare. That's a start. Move em around until they sound good.

Comment

About the shockmount on the 990 - it also comes with a regular standmount that the mic sits in, and a threaded piece screws under the other end to hold it tight, so that's not a problem.

I've used the 990 with some decent results on there, but if I were buying again, I might go with a SP b1, which, although I haven't tried personally, is supposed to have more of the kind of sound that I'd want these days.

Got a pair of CAD m179's though, so those will be my new overhead/room mics (I rarely put the mics litterally overhead, usually more of out in front of the set.
                http://www.shrinking-pants.com has become http://www.shrinking-pants.net

BUT IT'S STILL AS COOL (almost)

Comment

Perhaps the listing of the most popular large diaphragm condenser microphones was implicitly the category for most popular mics for recording vocals. If not, what is the list of the most popular LDC mics on HC for specifically recording vocals? Could you list the ones even in the $700-$1000 category?

If the list at the beginning of this thread is refering specifically to vocals, do you know the most popular LDC mics for male vocals vs. female vocals in the $500-$1000 range?

Thanks!

Comment

(in Ben Stein monotone voice )

Anyone?

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGD
                      Put one about 4 feet in front of the kick and another on a boom stand pointing towards the snare. That's a start. Move em around until they sound good.

or you could take them off the stands, put them on the ground, and let me stomp on them and give you a real microphone.
                      Sean Eldon
                      Mercenary Audio

sean@mercenary.com

"Gearslutz -- Where the uneducated go to fight it out with the misinformed." - Dave Hecht

Comment

this is a sweet thread!
                        Member of the SG Army (Honorable Discharge)

fix my guitar-time.

Comment

Musicians helping Musicians
                          Hi everybody any help extremly apppreciated

I built a pc at pcAudio Labs here's the specs:
                          AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual CoreSoltek SL-K8TPro motherboard2GB DDR400 2x1024MBATI Radeon 9550 256MB Dual VGA Plextor 16x Dual Layer DVD /-RW 2MB80GB EIDE (Primary Drive)Hitachi250GB RAID 1 - (2 x 250GB SATA II) (Audio Drive)Hitachi160GB SATA II (Samples)HitachiWindows XP Professional
                          I will be working with Sonar 5,Acid Pro 5 (rewire them together) Reason 3.0,Antares Avox and AutoTune.

I'm a solo musician playing one instrument at a time (unless I can get ahold of some toxic ooozz that will grow me some more arms).

Will need to record Vocals,Electric guitar,Electric Bass, and use Midi for Soft-Synths.All drums will be created via Loop cd's and Reason 3.0

Any opinions either way would you go with for this situation.
                          (these are things I've researched endlessly and seemed to fit my needs.
                          (One of each of these is my exact price range.)

1.Mic for male singer with mid-range and kinda nasaly voice.
                          (mic will be stricktly for my vocals all instruments will be direct into the audio interface)

a.Audio Technica 3035 (heard it picked up bass better)
                          b.Rode NT1000(great reviews to help warm the voice)
                          I know the mic won't do all the work but one of them must pick up the bass in a mid-range voice better than the other.

2.Audio Interface
                          (for vocals,Guitar,Bass and Midi).
                          a.Novation X-Station (with all those features in one unit the preamps must suck but if they were good I would'nt need a midi controller cuz it would be there with my audio interface.
                          b.PreSonus FireBox (been kinda hard to find terrible reviews on this thing)I would need a midi controller with this one though which is fine if it's got better pre-amps than the novation.
                          c.E-MU 1820M(these look nice cause effects won't burden my cpu as much for effects and Latency may be lower than the USB Novation or the Firewire Presonus.but I've heard it's very difficult to use and get used to.I'm not a tech head so I should maybe stay away from this one.)

3.Headphones
                          (Only to use while tracking vocals)
                          a.AKG 271Studio (Looks good)
                          b.AKG 240Studio (may save me $100.00)
                          c.or perhaps the gradys everyone keeps mentioning

4.Monitors
                          (This would be the last piece besides a simple midi controller if the novation preamps suck.)
                          a.Event TR8 Tuned Reference (looks nice)
                          b.M-Audio BX8a (looks nice)
                          c.Behringer Truth B2031a(most seem to agree these suck in some way or another but someone told me don't believe the hype they are used by more professionals than we think and are quite good).

It seems that musical style would matter while picking mics and monitors.I like and record
                          Hard Rock,Hip-Hop,Ethnic,Symphonic,and New Age.

Harmony Central truly, truly Rules.

Comment

How good is the Presonus Firepod? I was looking for something cheap and efficient.

Comment

for $600, it really can't be beat. and like shangrila17 said with the firebox, its hard to find a bad review of it.

now onto the firestudio.... where is that going to fall in between the firepod, onyx 800f and rme fireface?

Comment

I'm interested to hear about some power amps here too. Everyone seems to be a fan of the Tannoy Reveals, but lo, what with to power them!?
                                Forecast for tomorrow; a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of doom!

I USED to be a señor member...

Comment

Working...
                                X