Collapse
No announcement yet.

H-C Gear Recommendations

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's on the first or second page, starting with the letter I quoted from David Satz, explaining the difference between Pure Pressure mics (omnis) and Pressure Gradient mics (all other patterns).

Simply put, omnis respond only to air pressure changes in the room, and they're very good at detecting low frequencies which generate a lot of pressure.

Pressure gradient mics work by letting some of the sound get into the back of the mic thru a delay network. Well, low frequencies are so long (a 32 Hz note is 16 feet long), there's not much there to delay, so the pressure from the back cancels out the pressure from the front, and you get very little bass response at very low frequencies.

The delay slots for small diaphragm mics are very tiny compared to large diaphragm mics, so the cancellation is less complete at low frequencies, making the small mic act more like an omni at low frequencies, thereby providing more bottom end than their bigger brothers.

That's of course, a very dirt simple (and oversimplified) explanation, and there are other factors at work as well.
    Harvey Gerst
    Indian Trail Recording Studio
    http://www.ITRstudio.com

Comment

I've read to page 7 so far!

Add me to the list of people saying, " Thank you so much for taking the time to post that huge thread!".

I just completed my first quarter of audio engineering class and learned all this stuff (although you go into more technical detail on some things), but my teacher told us that large Dia condensers were used for recording an instrument with bass because you needed the larger diaphram to pick up the bass waves which were larger (longer wavelength) or else they wouldn't get picked up as well.
      Clearly this is not how it actually works!

thanks!

and now I know why no one is on this recording forum- they are all over on that forum- including me!

Originally posted by Harvey Gerst
      It's on the first or second page, starting with the letter I quoted from David Satz, explaining the difference between Pure Pressure mics (omnis) and Pressure Gradient mics (all other patterns).

Simply put, omnis respond only to air pressure changes in the room, and they're very good at detecting low frequencies which generate a lot of pressure.

Pressure gradient mics work by letting some of the sound get into the back of the mic thru a delay network. Well, low frequencies are so long (a 32 Hz note is 16 feet long), there's not much there to delay, so the pressure from the back cancels out the pressure from the front, and you get very little bass response at very low frequencies.

The delay slots for small diaphragm mics are very tiny compared to large diaphragm mics, so the cancellation is less complete at low frequencies, making the small mic act more like an omni at low frequencies, thereby providing more bottom end than their bigger brothers.

That's of course, a very dirt simple (and oversimplified) explanation, and there are other factors at work as well.
      DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

Comment

Very good thread, my compliments!
        ...but what about stand-alone a/d converters??
        These are my alternitives:

RME
        Creamware
        Marian
        Kronauer

Anyone exp with these???

Dark Lord Danthomir
        www.jaapjongenelen.nl
        www.icaros.nl

Comment

Ok, what about computer recording interfaces? I asked over on the bass forum, seems like M-Audio is the popular brand, but I could use a little more guidance. Looking to get my feet wet, nothing too fancy, but want to multitrack, song development more than live recording. Any suggestions where to start? Is there another thread here that covers this stuff?
          ​"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
          "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
          "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Ok, I figured out that the computer interface belonged more over on the computer hw forum, so I asked it there.

Now, an on-topic question - best budget mics for record bass - both electric off the speaker, and upright or acoustic bass guitar. Reading from above, I see I probably want large diaphragm, which I'm working on, but which one would be best?
            ​"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
            "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
            "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I used to have a Delta 44, and last year upgraded to a Delta 1010. Couldnt be happier with M Audios soundcards.

Do your research though. They make quite a few different cards that work better with different setups (midi, audio only)
              81 Gibson LP Custom (EMG 81/85)
              05 Caparison Dellinger II (EMG 85/81)
              Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier (2002 3ch)
              Mesa/Boogie Std Recto cab
              Genz Benz Gflex 212 ext cab

My Rig (rendered by hal9000)

Comment

I'm actually leaning towards spending the extra bucks on an Aardvark Q10, or maybe a MOTU 2408mk3. Have to keep doing my homework...

Comment

This is my first post here, yay. Hopefully this isn't too much of a newbie question.

The monitors recommended here need a power amp- what are the recommendations for that?

(this is mostly a report of Stray_Dog's question:
                  How about poweramp? I'm looking for an inexpensive one to power a pair of Yorkville YSM 1.)

Comment

Originally posted by glennchan
                    This is my first post here, yay. Hopefully this isn't too much of a newbie question.

The monitors recommended here need a power amp- what are the recommendations for that?

(this is mostly a report of Stray_Dog's question:
                    How about poweramp? I'm looking for an inexpensive one to power a pair of Yorkville YSM 1.)

Here's a pretty good rack-mountable power amp:

Art SLA-1

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to get a decent one for less than $200. I lucked up by finding a really good old McIntosh amp on eBay for about $100 that is really nice.
                    We play in another house, what should we fear?

Originally Posted by r33k

A classroom full of kids can't tell the difference between a bass drum and a pipe organ, let alone stereo versus mono...

Comment

Originally posted by bholder
                      Ok, I figured out that the computer interface belonged more over on the computer hw forum, so I asked it there.

Now, an on-topic question - best budget mics for record bass - both electric off the speaker, and upright or acoustic bass guitar. Reading from above, I see I probably want large diaphragm, which I'm working on, but which one would be best?

An EV RE20 is great for Upright basses, it is also not bad for bass cabs.
                      Cheers

Spong
                      puttin the "P" in Song

Comment

Anyone got reccomendations on budget I/O audio/midi interfaces? (no PCI cards, I'm using first version TFT iMac)
                        That's cool.

http://mindofsimontaylor.blogspot.com
                        http://www.myspace.com/simtaylorsspace
                        HCGJ TRIAD MEMBER - GO-TO GUY

Comment

I'm actually leaning towards spending the extra bucks on an Aardvark Q10, or maybe a MOTU 2408mk3. Have to keep doing my homework...

The 2408 MkIII is an excellent choice if you have multiple inputs to contend with. It is versatile as a format converter and great for optical recording (24 tracks). However, if you don't need all those inputs a really terrific card/combination is the EMU XSampler, however it is PC only. It is inexpensive and high quality.

Comment

Now, an on-topic question - best budget mics for record bass - both electric off the speaker, and upright or acoustic bass guitar.

Reading from above, I see I probably want large diaphragm, which I'm working on, but which one would be best?

You are either reading from above incorrectly or you are listening to the wrong guy. Harvey and Bonestar have it right, it's the small diaphragm condenser that handles the lowest of lows better not the large diaphragm.

In spite of that discussion I wouldn't recommend choosing a mic for bass just on the fact of it's diaphagm size or type of operation.

Mic'ing bass is no different than mic'ing anything else, the best mic for the job is the one that sounds best in that particular situation.

While it's true that a large diaphragm condenser isn't going to be best at the lowest of lows, it's still going to provide plenty of bottom end. Large diaphragm condensers tend to have more color than small ones, that color might or might not be what you are looking for.

Unfortunately there are few easy answers when it comes to choosing the best mic for the job besides using your ears of course. There are some huge generalities that many people follow like using large diaphragm condensers for vocals but there are really no hard and fast rules to what will work the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jashon
                              Newbie question: can someone tell me what exactly a compressor does? (don't say it compresses)

This definition was tafen from Home Recording 101

Compression
                              In audio, compression means to reduce the dynamic range of a signal. Compression may be intentional or one of the effects of a system that is driven to overload.

Home Recording 101
                              Fender American Strat w/maple fretboard
                              Heritage H-150CM Classic
                              Epiphone Emperor II Joe Pass
                              Ibanez AR200 w/SD PU
                              Ibanez AR250 w/ SD zebra PU
                              Alvarez RD20CU acoustic
                              Alamo Capri 112
                              Fender Princeton 112 Plus
                              Mesa Boogie 50 Cal 112
                              Traynor YGL-3A Mark III head

Comment

Hey im a drummer and I'm about to buy a usb interface and I will most likely only have 2 preamps to work with, starting out. So I plan to get a bass drum mic and 1 overhead for the rest. My question is what would be the best choice for cymbals and drums. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X