Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

H-C Gear Recommendations

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Dr.Tom
    Who makes KM 185"s ? Thank you .

    Tom


    That would be Neumann. As well as KM184's. U195 is Soundelux.
    torsten matthiessen
    studie barforama
    www.barforama.dk

    Analog is back.
    - and it's pissed!

    Comment


    • #47
      hey cool! I just this thread for the first time and I've had my MXL-V67 for over a year! I love it!!
      "Makin' music means I'm makin' friends."

      Comment


      • #48
        how about the studio projects C4s? how do they compare to the rode nt5s?

        Comment


        • #49
          Any advice on inexpensive soundcards? I'd like atleast 4 inputs and maybe 2 outputs. How's the M-Audio Delta 44?
          Wanted:
          ~M-Audio BX-5 Studio Monitors
          ~M-Audio Delta 44 Soundcard

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by JazzGtr
            Any advice on inexpensive soundcards? I'd like atleast 4 inputs and maybe 2 outputs. How's the M-Audio Delta 44?


            Getting mine in early this week, will post a review when I get it
            My logic does not resemble your earth logic...

            ...it's much more advanced.

            Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 2x12 - $900 shipped

            Comment


            • #51
              I made a page not too long ago that I'm slowly working on that may benefit this thread:

              http://homerec101.freewebpage.org/gettingstarted.html#equipment
              We play in another house, what should we fear?







              Originally Posted by r33k


              A classroom full of kids can't tell the difference between a bass drum and a pipe organ, let alone stereo versus mono...

              Comment


              • #52
                what's the difference between large and small diaphragm condenser mics ?

                is there one type more appropriate for vocals ?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by sekler
                  what's the difference between large and small diaphragm condenser mics ?

                  is there one type more appropriate for vocals ?


                  Large is typically used for vocals.

                  The biggest difference, initially to me anywany, is field range of pick up. In the same way a 12" speaker has a wider angle of projection than a 6" speaker, a larger diaphragm mic has a bigger 'sweet spot' to pick up sound waves.
                  "Makin' music means I'm makin' friends."

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by sekler
                    what's the difference between large and small diaphragm condenser mics ?



                    If you are recording something with larger soundwaves (bass freq waves) you want the large condenser in order to pick those freqs up.
                    If you aren't recording bass freqs the small condenser will do.

                    This info is from an Audio Engineering class, not from experience.

                    I also need to know what soundcard to get...
                    delta 44 or Audiophile 2496 or??
                    DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by JetCityMatt
                      If you are recording something with larger soundwaves (bass freq waves) you want the large condenser in order to pick those freqs up. If you aren't recording bass freqs the small condenser will do.


                      Actually, the opposite is true.
                      Bonestar is dead!
                      Long live Bonestar!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by bonestar


                        Actually, the opposite is true.


                        Why is that?

                        So my teacher who professionally runs a studio of his own has been teaching 100s of people per year the wrong thing?

                        Can you explain why the opposite is true so I know what is correct?

                        thanks
                        DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by JetCityMatt


                          Why is that?

                          So my teacher who professionally runs a studio of his own has been teaching 100s of people per year the wrong thing?

                          Can you explain why the opposite is true so I know what is correct?

                          thanks

                          Yes sadly, your teacher is wrong. Small diaphragm mics act more like a piston at low frequencies. Small (1/4" to 1/2") omnis, for example, can go down flat to 1 or 2 Hz easily, whereas large diaphragm mics run into trouble below 30 Hz.
                          Harvey Gerst
                          Indian Trail Recording Studio
                          http://www.ITRstudio.com

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Harvey Gerst

                            Yes sadly, your teacher is wrong. Small diaphragm mics act more like a piston at low frequencies. Small (1/4" to 1/2") omnis, for example, can go down flat to 1 or 2 Hz easily, whereas large diaphragm mics run into trouble below 30 Hz.


                            Wow! Surprising!

                            Now I know- thanks.
                            DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Here's some good reading if you're interested in the "hows" and "whys" of mic applications (courtesy of Harvey):

                              Mic Thread
                              Bonestar is dead!
                              Long live Bonestar!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by bonestar
                                Here's some good reading if you're interested in the "hows" and "whys" of mic applications (courtesy of Harvey):

                                Mic Thread


                                Thanks... looks like a gret site too.
                                Any idea on what page number of the thread he talks about small diaphram vs. large ?
                                DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X