Collapse
No announcement yet.

H-C Gear Recommendations

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question: can someone tell me what exactly a compressor does? (don't say it compresses)

Comment

The behringer ecm800 is about $45, it's in the category of "good sd condenser mics under $200"

With behringer's terrible reputation around here, this mic must really be worth the $45 to make it to the holy hc recommendations list. Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering two of em.

Comment

Excellent thread!! Very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by thom
          The behringer ecm800 is about $45, it's in the category of "good sd condenser mics under $200"

With behringer's terrible reputation around here, this mic must really be worth the $45 to make it to the holy hc recommendations list. Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering two of em.

my band just recorded having used the ECM8000s as overheads. they definitely don't match up to better sd condensers but for $45 a piece they're a f'ing steal. definitely worth much much more than their price.

Comment

Mark Gifford wrote:
            Thanks to all who responded, if your favorite piece isn't in here it's because I went only with multiple votes - strictly popularity. This is not the "be all and end all" of gear, just what's popular amongst the regulars here. It would be hard to go wrong with any of this stuff, all of it is capable of making good recordings.

Here's the most popular pieces, loosely categorized:

Microphones, Large Diaphragm Condenser:

Under $200: Marshall V67, Studio Projects C-1, Studio Projects B-1, Audio-Technica 3035

What about the RODE NT-1A???

Under $700: Audio Technica 40 Series, R
            Kindest Regards-Brad Hagen http://www.musiciansadvocate.com "Just Say "NO!!!" to the megastores!!"

Comment

Brad, I heard those Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and to my ears they were anything BUT flat. They almost sounded like they had phase-problems... I agree that they fit very nicely and very TIGHT! Also the fact that you can fold them up is quite a plus for me, since I record a lot on location.... But to my ears, the best cans that I've heard so far for mixing are AKG K240S and Beyer DT990 Pro... The Beyers win, because they sit not as loose as the AKG, which can fall off your head very easy...

I myself have Sennheiser HD265 Lineairs, which sometimes sound too nice... I think they have a bit of an Hi-Fi eq-ing going on... (+5dB@100Hz and +3dB at 10kHz my guess...)
              MovingNeedles Recording Studio

Looking for:
              -MXR Envelope Filter & Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)

For sale:
              -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!

Comment

Wasssup homie!!

Comment

Hey Qq, whaz yo a$$ doin' here?

Welcome aboard... you will find out that unlike on HR, I'm very well respected here!

Looking for:

For sale:

Comment

Yeah brutha'!! I see you're the man up in this here joint!!!

Comment

Speeddemon - Whats HR? Not that I have in lack of loyalty to this board but if it is another recoding forum I would like to look at it as I am in the process of updating equipment and looking for as many opinions as I can. You can PM me if you want - wouldn't want the whole board jumping ships or anything!
                      http://www.rahanguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by RAHAN Guitars
                        Speeddemon - Whats HR? Not that I have in lack of loyalty to this board but if it is another recoding forum I would like to look at it as I am in the process of updating equipment and looking for as many opinions as I can. You can PM me if you want - wouldn't want the whole board jumping ships or anything!

HOMERECORDING.COM=HR .

Comment

That's right! To be more precise, it's www.homerecording.com/bbs

There lives a bitch called Monty, who hates being thrown of the Throne of Funnyness...

My 2nd post in the Dragon Cave there is quite legendary!

Looking for:

For sale:

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon
                            That's right! To be more precise, it's www.homerecording.com/bbs

There lives a bitch called Monty, who hates being thrown of the Throne of Funnyness...

My 2nd post in the Dragon Cave there is quite legendary!

LMAO!!!

No doubt about that 2ND POST of yours!!!

Comment

yeah, you remember it, right? the post in the thread where Hixmix asked to rough things up...

Qq, to be honest, I feel that the Cave needs a certain injection. There are too many people (like Jake-owa, Dragonworks) trying to make funny threads... What happened to the old days with me and Eddie N. bragging about dicks and stuff?

Looking for:

For sale:

Comment

One thing I'm not seeing here are categories for recommended multitrack recorders (sorftware and hardware). I think that'd be of great assistance to newbies and people like myself who made a bad choice early on (Fostex VF16) and are in the market for a higher range of equipment now.

-Necro

Comment

Working...
                                X