X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-C Gear Recommendations

Thanks to all who responded, if your favorite piece isn't in here it's because I went only with multiple votes - strictly popularity. This is not the "be all and end all" of gear, just what's popular amongst the regulars here. It would be hard to go wrong with any of this stuff, all of it is capable of making good recordings.

Here's the most popular pieces, loosely categorized and updated by OneArmedScissors, in January 2005:

Mics by type

Large Diaphragm Condenser:

Under $100: MXL V67, Studio Projects B1

Under $300: Audio-Technica 3035 & 4040, MXL V69, Studio Projects C1, M-Audio Solaris, CAD M179, Oktava MK(MC)-319 Red5 RV8 & RV10

Under $700: Audio Technica 40 Series, R
    "Thank You, NASA!"

Thanks man!! now i know where to start looking!

Comment

Nice work Mark. Much appreciated.

Comment

great work thanks!!

Comment

Big help for people looking!

Comment

I'm having a deja vu here... the sentence "Do's and don'ts for newbies roams my mind"... I wonder why...

Ofcourse Mark, your list is a bit more compact, which makes it easier here and there. Good job!
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
            <br />
            <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
            -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
            <br />
            <b>For sale:<br />
            -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

I promise to never ask a "whats the best _____ for such and such job" again as it pertains to this stuff.
              Mission accomplished, good work and thanks. I am now printing it!
              <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Music is pussies who don't know how to express them selves by shouting&quot; Tracey Ullman as Sydney Cross, Celebrity Lawyer.<br />
              <br />
              58.327% of all statistics are made up on the spot.<br />
              <br />
              <a href="http://www.overnightmusic.net" target="_blank"> http://www.overnightmusic.net</a> </div>

Comment

Thanks for your work, Mark!
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.theartofanger.com" target="_blank">www.theartofanger.com</a></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon
                  I'm having a deja vu here... the sentence "Do's and don'ts for newbies roams my mind"... I wonder why...

Yup, it'd been a while since that one had surfaced - just trying to cut down on the "What's the best...?" questions. Peter is more than willing to "sticky" stuff, if you ask.

MG
                  "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

Well done Mark.. .. ..

Rimmer
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">"(The New Testament) is a work of crude carpentry, hammered together long after its purported events, and full of improvised attempts to make things come out right." Christopher Hitchens, R.I.P</div>

Comment

.......I'm looking for a really nice compressor for around/under $500.... any suggestions!!
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Take the Money and Run<br />
                      <br />
                      You can hear my songs<a href="http://www.alexsullivan.com" target="_blank"> here</a> <br />
                      <br />
                      Or at soundclick here too <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=640697" target="_blank"> here</a> <br />
                      </div>

Comment

Originally posted by FINgers
                        .......I'm looking for a really nice compressor for around/under $500.... any suggestions!!

So you're looking For Mental Re-assurance? Against Utopian Devices In Obsolescense for about 1773 times?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                        <br />
                        <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                        -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                        <br />
                        <b>For sale:<br />
                        -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

I was surprised to see the Art TPS Tube Pre-Amp missing from the list. These have been getting rave reviews from just about everyone I know that uses them and the price seems very good.

Does anyone here use them?

Comment

Could we post some recomended soudcards up here?
                            Maybe that will kill a few more repetative questions.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Consider everything, believe nothing&quot; Elgar.</div>

Comment

Definitely makes me feel better about my previous purchases...
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">-Stop complaining about behringer and get something done moron!</div>

Comment

Working...
                              X