Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thank you for the post!!
    <div class="signaturecontainer">bah bah bah bah</div>

Comment

• In any Audio Editor (I use Sound Forge) is possible to create and compare signals in different SR's, where we can see SR's artifactal working.

Comment

• Samplitude will, but you need to have two individual interfaces ALSO working at different rates.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>John Scrip</b> Massive Mastering <br />
        <font size="1">Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA<br />
        <br />
        <a href="http://www.massivemastering.com" target="_blank">MASSIVE Mastering</a> -- <a href="http://www.johnscrip.com" target="_blank">johnscrip.com</a><br />
        And mucking up the Mastering forum at <a href="http://www.studioforums.com" target="_blank">StudioForums.com</a></font></div>

Comment

• Oh, yeah! you can see it in the scopes, when graphically compared. But my comment was a little more towards "I am not able/educated to hear the difference", and probably my friend (a working audio engineer) biased my opinion with his comment.

I know they DO differ, but if you're going to end up on 16/44.1 then I guess I have a lot of room to work with on my skimpy DIY projects, which doesn't mean everybody should follow my advice. I guess I was just talking of me anyway.

Cheers!

Ky
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I do not intend to rant @ my gear, it's a useless, conceited excercise... better hear the results. Probable hearing damage warning: may bother your ears, but if you must, then go http://www.soundclick.com/joeykaye<br />
          <br />
          &quot;Heavy are the mountains, But that changes with the passage of time&quot;<br />
          R. Ayanami</div>

Comment

• Thanx for Your opinions!

I had one question about max peak level in final master...

I am a owner of small CD collection (CDR's too, but these isn't CD->mp3->CD) Smooth Jazz, Fusion, Pop/Rock. Mostly nowadays recordings.

It's interesting to view waveforms of tracks from extracted CD's in audio editor. (I like Sound Forge) I'm very surprised to view VERY much clips. (But these CD's is Mastered in good studios, by good engeeners..) WHY??? Maybe ingeneers don't reed (or need) meters

By the ear it's OK! The clips are short, but they're CLIPS! (Many samples at 0.0 dBfs)

In Christina Aguilera CD (i don't remember title) in track #09 "Impossible" (nice 6/8 ballad) bass drum is VERY cliped - you can listen this in ears! I don't know... Maybe it's a effect, not deffect? Big kick in hip-hop.... ?

About max level. There is a standart -0.3 dBfs. Why it can't be 0.0? (Sure, w/out clips!) OK, 0.0 or 0.3 no mater if You see full CD headrom - about 90 dB's...

In My Opinion, Waves L2'ed sound @ output ceiling 0.0 still "clips" in Sound Forge... Maybe it's software failure....

Comment

• A little headroom is just to be friendly to cheap, crappy consumer-grade converters.

Personally, I wish there truly was a standard. And it should be lower than -0.3dB.

Like that'll happen... :cry:
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>John Scrip</b> Massive Mastering <br />
              <font size="1">Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA<br />
              <br />
              <a href="http://www.massivemastering.com" target="_blank">MASSIVE Mastering</a> -- <a href="http://www.johnscrip.com" target="_blank">johnscrip.com</a><br />
              And mucking up the Mastering forum at <a href="http://www.studioforums.com" target="_blank">StudioForums.com</a></font></div>

Comment

• Originally posted by MASSIVE Master
                A little headroom is just to be friendly to cheap, crappy consumer-grade converters.

Personally, I wish there truly was a standard. And it should be lower than -0.3dB.

Like that'll happen... :cry:

Mmm...

Just don't give up on suggesting... look what happenned with MIDI.

When I was a kid all keyboard players who called themselves so, were swearing by the "ole school" analog patch cable-ridden modulars:love:, but were secretly wishing for a standard to chain everyting up. Now they have as a most, a couple of controllers and a bunch of modular synths and buy sounds from "Saved by Technology!"

Ky.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">I do not intend to rant @ my gear, it's a useless, conceited excercise... better hear the results. Probable hearing damage warning: may bother your ears, but if you must, then go http://www.soundclick.com/joeykaye<br />
                <br />
                &quot;Heavy are the mountains, But that changes with the passage of time&quot;<br />
                R. Ayanami</div>

Comment

• Here's some absolutely terrible mastering tips for people using plug-ins that should get you going in no time.

I personally think the two most important pieces in a mastering chain are the EQ and the Limiter. If that's all you use you're off to a good start. In fact i mastered a record today with only those two tools on a few of the tracks.

EQ

You need two things. You need to figure out what you want to do with the EQ. Then you have to know how to do it. Most people cannot make these two things connect because of a lack of understanding in EQ.

ok. Sit your ass down with a (physical - not plug in) 31 band graphic eq. (plug-ins later...) Learn what the frequencies do. Most of the major problems with mixes need EQ cuts and not boosts. There is no shortage of EQ tutorials on the web which are very descriptive and easy to read.

A bad example is.

60hz Kick drum Fundamental
                  100hz Bass Guitar Fundamental
                  160hz my least favorite frequency
                  200hz Lowest guitar frequency worth boosting
                  300hz 400hz a muddy point in Vocals and Kick
                  400hz cut this is pretty much any drum or overhead, boost in bass
                  500hz cutting this makes vocals sound really hard
                  666hz your dog
                  800hz Cut in Drums and guitar, boost in bass
                  800hz - 2.5k Hurts the ears
                  3k - 8k sibilant range, Careful in vocals
                  10k - 20k sparkly stuff

Go look this stuff up and learn to identify it!

Ok. Here's the mastering stuff.

EQ your mix so that you like the sound of it.

Limit it until you've successfully squeezed the life out of it and it is so loud that it blows of your clothes.

Go away.

Come back and listen to it again and adjust the EQ for ear fatigue, and clarity. (I hate music when it hurts me to listen to it)

Go home, drop one in the tiolet and go to bed. You're done.

If anyone wants to hear some of the stuff i've mastered you can check out.

www.thirdpersonview.com and click on the physics laboratory. Then you can post on here and make fun of me for the pathetic wretch of an engineer that i am. ehh.. it pays my bills.

Comment

• One of the best resources on the web.

http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

Comment

• Hi, I use ik multimedia's T-racks when mastering some of my tracks. I open them in a wave editor and I notice it looks very squashed compared to other artist's recordings. I use alot of weird panned, ambient sounds. So, I want everything to be heard and not lost.

how should I go about mastering?

I was using a 2:1 comp.

Comment

• TrashFace,

I'm not completely familiar with your music but i would try using a limiter although compressing 2:1 isn't a bad idea. Set the out ceiling to 0db (or 0.1 below it)

Just remember this: Limiting will alter the sound of your mix is sometimes very cool and not so cool ways. Too much will suck out the bottom while just enough will tighten it up. Mastering seems to bring out all sorts of ugly stuff. If you want your mix to physically look like another one eyeball your finished mater against another track you like and compare. Try to make the two tracks look the same by adjusting your limiter. If you audio looks like a solid line you should back it off. You'll probably find that your kick drum re-enters the mix. This is a link to my studio site. Listen to the first two tracks in the physics laboratory audio player. They were mastered with only limiting and a little bit of EQ which consisted of a few choice cuts and a filter for the bass.

Eyeballing a mastered track and trying to make yours look like it is a good way of learning what your limiter does. There's no such thing as cheating.

Check out the site if you get a chance.

www.thirdpersonview.com

Comment

• thanks. I have some of my music in my sig. I have been tweaking my mastering skills and I will reupload some better masters later.

Comment

• Your music is ****************ing rad. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at mastering some of it if it would be ok with you. I can hear how easily you could over compress this. It does sound like it's missing some dynamics but i'm not sure if that's a bad thing. Sounds pretty good through my little PC speakers but i'd have to throw it up on the big system to hear what the bass is doing and figure out what you may be missing.

If you send me one of your songs i'll take a run at it and send you the mastering settings i used. I especially like wierdo.

Comment

• Originally posted by physicslab
                              Your music is ****************ing rad. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at mastering some of it if it would be ok with you. I can hear how easily you could over compress this. It does sound like it's missing some dynamics but i'm not sure if that's a bad thing. Sounds pretty good through my little PC speakers but i'd have to throw it up on the big system to hear what the bass is doing and figure out what you may be missing.

If you send me one of your songs i'll take a run at it and send you the mastering settings i used. I especially like wierdo.

thanks, I think I figured out my problem. I was hitting the mix way too hard, so everything is squashed but huge. So, I will back it off a bit and get some more of those dynamics back.

Comment

• Thanks for the post. it helped. However Im having troubles recording with my playback levels after the CD has been burned and sometimes just on the playback. I need some advice on what to do during recording to make sure the levels aren't so low. I have a Yamaha AW16G. I understand this isnt the top of the line, but there must be something a novice like myself can do.Any advice would be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X